Author Topic: What's in a cruiser fleet?  (Read 5832 times)

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
What's in a cruiser fleet?
I just did a search through the reference bible and there is no mention of a "3rd Cruiser Fleet."  ns33 must have read it in some other place, because it doesn't exist.

------------------
Visit Warpstorm.  Do it now.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.

Offline ns33

hmm... I know it was some type of official reference source... damn. Cant remember where or when. It was a long time ago... a LOOONG time ago. The thought just randomly poped in my head.

By the way, speaking of cruisers, I also read somewhere that in the entire GTVA fleet, there are less than 24 Aeolus cruisers. Can anyone confirm this?

------------------
If teachers can send substitutes, why can't students do the same?

"I think I'm a better judge of when I'm through learning."
-Calvin & Hobbes

Torture is worse than death.

Those arms on the Sath arent for destruction honey. They're used to randomly blow up stars.

"Wisdom is a virtue."

Homer: No listening! <narrows eyes> Do you hear me?
Some guy: <fearfully> ... no?
Homer: <narrows eyes, becomes agitated> You just don't listen, do you?

**== God Bless America ==**

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Yeah, this is in the ship.tbl file for the Aeolus cruiser entry. Only about two dozen Aeolus cruisers were constructed at the RNI shipyard orbiting Laramis II before construction stopped in 2365.

Too bad, it's my favorite cruiser, certainly more so than either the Leviathan or Fenris cruisers.  
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
ummm, correct me if im wrong, but didnt the Colussus have the firepower of 12 orions?  and are you sure a Terran Fleet is limited to only 2 destroyers?

------------------
158th Banshee Squadron www.geocities.com/sgchicken  
Into the Night Campaign www.geocities.com/ltnarol

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
well, i have a question about the NTF and technology....if a GTVA destroyer, like say the GTD Roanoke, were to defect to the NTF, wouldnt it take all the tech it had with it?  Or would they simply throw all those valuable Helios bombs, stealth fighters, advanced fighters, and otherwise useful stuff out the airlocks just to make the GTVA happy?  just a thought :P to those out there who insist that the NTF never got Helios bombs or Erinyes or Ares

------------------
158th Banshee Squadron www.geocities.com/sgchicken  
Into the Night Campaign www.geocities.com/ltnarol

Starwing

Pegasus, Erinyes and Ares fighters were not in service when the rebellion began. Listen to your command briefings and you will see that you are one of the first people to fly them.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue

Originally posted by Starwing:
Pegasus, Erinyes and Ares fighters were not in service when the rebellion began. Listen to your command briefings and you will see that you are one of the first people to fly them.

Perseus wasn't in service when the rebellion began also. You fly it for its first combat mission in the Enif station battle in Epsilon Pegasi.

The NTF MIGHT have had Helios bombs, but not nearly as many as the GTVA had, I think. This is open to debate.

Lt Narol, the Colossus had the firepower of 5 Orions, not twelve (at least according to the Colossus cutscene).

Also, I've extrapolated that a Terran fleet has four destroyers, not two, but this is hardly gospel. (see above)

------------------
FRED Zone's Grammar editor/ FS history moderator
Former member of TCA
Member in good standing of 99th Skulls
Honorary member of TCS and UGC

"I created your civilization...now I will destroy it!"
--Ra, the Sun God

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)

Originally posted by Su-tehp:
especially for a military genius like Admiral Bosch.

Robert E. Lee kind of thing going on?
"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)

Originally posted by Su-tehp:
Perseus wasn't in service when the rebellion began also. You fly it for its first combat mission in the Enif station battle in Epsilon Pegasi.

So, you're saying that maybe they were using Valkyries as their interceptor class at the beginning of the rebellion?
"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue

Originally posted by Alikchi:
So, you're saying that maybe they were using Valkyries as their interceptor class at the beginning of the rebellion?

Either that, or they did away with an interceptor class fighter altogether when the GTVA mothballed the Valkyrie after the First Great War until the Perseus came along.

Just play the original FS2 mission sm1-08 titled "The Sixth Wonder." The mission briefing says straight up that this mission is the first combat deployment of the Perseus. The command briefing also says that the Valkyrie was retired previously (but doesn't specifically say when).

The Order of the Stick

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Su, just curious, where did you find out that Terran fleets had four destroyers? (I can't remember reading anything like this but all the subtle indications seem to point towards two destroyers) If the Terran fleets are really that much larger than Vasudan ones, it would probably also make sense to also have more Vasudan battle groups in service than Terran ones, maybe even two per system in some cases...

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue

Originally posted by CP5670:
Su, just curious, where did you find out that Terran fleets had four destroyers? (I can't remember reading anything like this but all the subtle indications seem to point towards two destroyers) If the Terran fleets are really that much larger than Vasudan ones, it would probably also make sense to also have more Vasudan battle groups in service than Terran ones, maybe even two per system in some cases...

I don't remember seeing any definitive proof that fleets and battle groups had only two destroyers; I think that was something I extrapolated. And Terran fleets aren't larger than vasudan battlegroups. Aside from the difference in AWACS ships (terran fleet having 12, Vasudan battlegroup having only 4, NTF fleet having none), Terran, Neo-terran and Vasudan battlegroups are all roughly the same size.

I changed my mind and RE-extrapolated the fleet organization that since the GTVA and NTF organize everything (fighters, AWACS and presumably cruisers also) in wings and squadrons, then it would make sense to organize destroyers in the same way. Since having a whole squadron of 12 destroyers in every fleet sounded too excessive to me, I decided to go with a wing of 4 destroyers instead. Under this organization, what would you call 2 destroyers? A "half-wing?" Four destroyers seemed to make more sense than two the more I thought about this.

We won't need to re-do and re-issue "Sirius blockade" as a result of this, so don't worry, CP!   It's not like the Vasudans would throw the ENTIRE 11th Battle Group into Sirius and leave Alpha Centauri completely undefended!  

[This message has been edited by Su-tehp (edited 01-28-2002).]

The Order of the Stick