Author Topic: Apogee/3D Realms classics released as freeware.  (Read 3361 times)

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
Apogee/3D Realms classics released as freeware.
Check out this page http://www.3drealms.com/downloads.html for free downloads of the full versions of:

Adventure Fun-Pak
Beyond the Titanic
Bio Menace (and full map graphics too!)
Boppin' (Ported to Windows, link to another site.)
Caves of Thor
Major Stryker
Puzzle Fun-Pak
Stargunner (almost 35 megabytes)
Supernova
Trivia Whiz
Super Upgrades Addon for Wolfenstein 3D (but curiously NOT the Wolfenstein 3D game itself)
Word Whiz
Xenophage: Alien Bloodsport (over 21 megabytes)

I don't know of any other game company that has released so much of its old stuff as unsupported freeware.
"They were really only teeny little A-bombs, honest!" Dr. Charles Dart

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
Re: Apogee/3D Realms classics released as freeware.
Super Upgrades Addon for Wolfenstein 3D (but curiously NOT the Wolfenstein 3D game itself)

id still has rights to it, and still sells Spear of Destiny in thier online store. 

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
id still thinks they can get sweet cream buttermilk from every dead cow they've ever coded ;) Some years ago, a game magazine released FULL versions of games like Star Control II*, X-Com, the original Zork trilogy and a few others on the cover disc. What was id software's contribution to this revisit to the classics? The shareware version of DOOM 1. IIRC, Quake 2 was already out then, or just about to be released.

I still have that CD, somewhere...

*Pre-hacked to not require the manual lookup copy protection, and it included all the original documentation in PDF! I tile printed the starmap on nine pieces of paper.  :yes:

Supernova

I love that game, too bad I don't see commander keen there

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
There is some nice stuff in there that I'll have to try out, but not all of their titles are available as full versions. Raptor and Duke Nukem 2 are notably missing from that list, although I got the full versions of those long ago.

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
The author of "Raptor: Call of the Shadows", Cygnus Software,  changed their name to Mountain King Software. They've ported Raptor to Windows. The nifty bit is your DOS version save games work with the Windows version. Not so nifty is the Backspace cheat that gives you deveral Death Rays in exchange for all your cash was removed from the Windows version. :(

But it's still possible to fire up the DOS version (runs like molasses in a tub of liquid nitrogen under Windows), start a new game, hit Backspace, abort the mission the save. Move the save file to the Windows version and sell all but one Death Ray. :) Kit your ship out with all the always on weapons, some Phase shields and the Auto-track Minigun, maybe a Megabomb or two. Might be able to get the Laser Turret if you forego the Phase shields, but the minugun is better because it hits both ground and air targets and can engage mutiple targets at once VS the one at a time and air only for the laser turret.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Ah right, MKS, I remember now.

You actually won't get sound on most modern systems if you run the DOS version directly, but it works like a charm in Dosbox. I play it every now and then like that. I have kept using the same pilot file repeatedly since I got it in 1996, so I have racked up something around $850 million over the years after playing through the game around 50 times by now. The amount is actually too large to display correctly in the pilot selection screen (the last number gets omitted), but looks fine during the game. :D

I keep a twin laser, laser turret and MK133 bombs (and switch between them constantly), along with the plasma cannon and micro missiles. At one time I used to be able to go through the entire game on elite with this combination without using any phase shields, although I can't seem to do that anymore. :(

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
I dug up my DOS and Windows copies of Raptor, found I had a pilot file already. :) One other change MKS made to the windows version of Raptor, they did a Politically Correct turn on it and changed the name of the Death Ray to Plasma Ray. Couldn't have kids playing a game where they blast thousands of other ships and vehicles to itty-bitty pieces with a weapon that has 'Death' in its name!

Oh, man.  Raptor...

*Searches through old CDs*
Eddie Guerrero R.I.P. 1967-2005

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
That list needs more Duke Nukem.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline brozozo

• Used to be d3r3k.
    • MySpace
That list needs more Duke Nukem.

Quoted for truth.

Offline Centrixo

where is cosmo's cosmic adventure? i used to play that game when i was little.
Would you like to have a piece of duct tape shoved up your arse? - 'Duct Tape man', Derelict.

"You never know what your going to find until you take a look" - Snipes, Fs2.

Terwin Castronenves:"Centrixo, your car is slow, bye bye" *zoom*.
Centrixo:*sigh!* Damn!.

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
No Commander Keen, no download.

edit: apparently Commander Keen is on there, but only as shareware.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I could have gotten Commander Keen shareware...a decade ago? More?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

dosgames.com used to have keen, dunno if it's still up, haven't been since I went xp 64, dos box is just too much the hassle

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
dosgames.com used to have keen, dunno if it's still up, haven't been since I went xp 64, dos box is just too much the hassle

Linux is not for you