Author Topic: Prologue Released!  (Read 185340 times)

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
On the other hand I've played the game with and without -wcsaga flag and I think it is quite useless.

looking into the code the wcsaga flag does a few minor things, for one it make everyone who dies scream, not just your buddies, they... remove'class' from the name of everything in a closeup zoom in a breifing... oh, you already knew about that and the hiding of bad guy names. ok, well it allows bad guys to scream when dieing, and more often.

Hey, Bob is right, how could I forgot this :) Reminds me, that I have to annoy goober again to check if that's the final version now :) I think there was still a timing problem, because of this I don't use this way in the prologue
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
looking into the code the wcsaga flag does a few minor things, for one it make everyone who dies scream, not just your buddies, they... remove'class' from the name of everything in a closeup zoom in a breifing... oh, you already knew about that and the hiding of bad guy names. ok, well it allows bad guys to scream when dieing, and more often.

I haven't noticed the last one, it's the only cool one IMO. FSWiki updated (even if it is going to be an obsolete flag).

Thanks
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
hi,
beautiful work  :yes:

hooo there came old memories of past day with wing commander back :).

and nice work with the syncro! im impressived :D.

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.
attention: this english is dangerours and terrible, runaway so fast you can!

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Here you've got a quite stupid unofficial patch  :D

In F3 viewer I've noticed that the bud guys are just our old known bugs with beautiful furs, sharp claws and long fangs. So I've just changed Species_def.tbl and other related tables to fix it.

(A freak fix. If you don't know what I'm talking about (F3 viewer, Species, ...), don't bother downloading it, it doesn't change or fix the gameplay in any way. I've left Vasudans cos deleting them is a PITA and maybe they can be turned into another interesting species in the future).

[attachment deleted by admin]
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Offline Kernal

Very nice. I liked it. :)
I never played wingcommander but, I thought it was very cool. ;7
I read the stories that went along with it and I have a question.

Spoiler:

Did anybody else survive? Like did anybody eject I should say since there was no escape pods from the wellington. :blah:

Keep up the good work. :D

Offtopic: Was Wingcommander: Prophecy any good? Or as good as this mod?
“I am mighty!  I have a glow you cannot see.  I have a heart as big as the moon!  As warm as bath water!  We are superheroes, men; we don't have time to be charming!  The boots of evil are made for walkin'!  We're watching the big picture friend!  We know the score!  We are a public service, not glamour boys! Yeah! Not captains of industry, not makers of things, keep your vulgar monies! We are a justice sandwich, no toppings necessary. Living rooms of America, do you catch my drift? Do you dig?”- The Tick

Offline Sphynx

I enjoyed Wing Commander: Prophecy. If you liked Saga, I'd say it's worth it to give it a try.
What we perceive is more a reflection of ourselves than of our environment.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
there was one thing I was somewhat disappointed by, the fighter bay on the wellington seemed a little... bland, you get a really close look at it and I would have thought you'd have put more detail into it (especaly sence I made a code feature specifically for super detailed fighter bays), I tweaked the bay model a bit to show the sort of things I would have done, maybe you can use it later.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
I have seen an example movie about the use of the detailbox and the details poped up a little bit to visible for me. Maybe the example wasn't well done but is their a way to make the detail box blend over the actuale lower detailed model as you get closer so that this popup effect isn't that visible?
For the fighterbays it might work better since for the most time you don't see the inside of the ship. Only of you are close and in the right position you would see it.
I don't know how complicated it would be to add these in the models we allready have so if this become part of the mod is a matter of time and difficulty.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
I have seen an example movie about the use of the detailbox and the details poped up a little bit to visible for me. Maybe the example wasn't well done but is their a way to make the detail box blend over the actuale lower detailed model as you get closer so that this popup effect isn't that visible?

That's mine concern too. I tried the detail box once, but this effect made me to remove it again. Because of the vector where you approach the fighterbay, it will always be that way, and frankly, I don't like it that much :(
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
A really small bug ...

I know that WC Saga is intended to be an alone project, but hey I just want all my FS2 mods in the Freespace2 folder.

If I do this, then WC Saga is loading retail FS2 vps too. Then I've noticed that in the welcome screen Choose Pilot, the OK button blinks to the bright retail V arrow when pressed. Maybe you need to draw some new cool arrow to override it, (I don't know which bitmap is used).

If you think I'm mad forget about this post.  :D

All I can say is great work guys, i've always been a fan of the Wing Commander games and the prologue captured the atmosphere of WC3 - 4 perfectly. Its good to see the auto pilot and limited afterburner fuel features back in and the voice acting I have have to say is better in my opinion than FS2's voice acting. I shall now play the prologue quite possibly a dozen or so times and wait patiently for your next release...
I feel like a one legged man, in ass kickin' contest!

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
That's mine concern too. I tried the detail box once, but this effect made me to remove it again. Because of the vector where you approach the fighterbay, it will always be that way, and frankly, I don't like it that much :(
The code is a lot better that it used to be.  But the point of it, when it's setup right, is that you don't have to go from nothing to something.  That is where you see it popping into place.  So you simply go from a fighter bay with simple very polys and textures for you to see at a distance, to one with actual detailed models/textures when you get closer.  This way you aren't just filling up the fighter bay at a single moment, but simply filling in the extra details as you go.  You just need to thing of it as a LOD system which you have complete/manual control over.

And to answer the question on the video that was posted, it was done to demonstrate the effect, but not really to do it well. :)

Offline KeldorKatarn

Only thing I didn't like about the MOD:

Spoiler:

Why the heck did you kill Panzer? Way too early in the storyline to kill so many main characters in my opinion. Champ ok, but Panzer?

Except for that, great prologue.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
And to answer the question on the video that was posted, it was done to demonstrate the effect, but not really to do it well. :)

When demonstrating a feature that is meant to be seamless it's often better to deliberately introduce a seam so that you can see when it occurs.

So the pop up in the video should be considered a feature not a bug :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
I only thought MS did that when designing XP to show us what Vista will do right.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
the 'popping' is no more an issue with detail boxes than it is with standard LOD and no one has a problem with that.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

the 'popping' is no more an issue with detail boxes than it is with standard LOD and no one has a problem with that.

Also wouldn't fade in/out transition help out? I don't remember my OpenGL code well enough anymore, but have detail box set to detailbox:min, max, transbegin, transend

where transbegin is the distance where the detail starts becoming transparent (aka transparent = 1%) and transend is where it ends (at 100%)
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
So you can set a transparent level? I didn't know this..I just know the vid where the objects poped up quite visible.

Offline Kernal

hey is there a reason why you skipped  KeldorKatarn and I's question or did you just miss it?
If it has to do with the future plot, say yes or no and I'll go back to my lurker self. :)
“I am mighty!  I have a glow you cannot see.  I have a heart as big as the moon!  As warm as bath water!  We are superheroes, men; we don't have time to be charming!  The boots of evil are made for walkin'!  We're watching the big picture friend!  We know the score!  We are a public service, not glamour boys! Yeah! Not captains of industry, not makers of things, keep your vulgar monies! We are a justice sandwich, no toppings necessary. Living rooms of America, do you catch my drift? Do you dig?”- The Tick

So you can set a transparent level? I didn't know this..I just know the vid where the objects poped up quite visible.

At least it sounds like OpenGL supports it, would make sense for glass..
http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/lesson.asp?lesson=08
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"