Author Topic: Want a FreeSpace Open Installer for Linux/Mac? Here's your chance!  (Read 3130 times)

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Want a FreeSpace Open Installer for Linux/Mac? Here's your chance!
Help test the installer on Linux/Mac here.

Also, if you've got any ideas for the Installer as it applies to Linux/Mac (such as where I can get a scripted install creator like NSIS for Linux/Mac) please post them here.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Re: Want a FreeSpace Open Installer for Linux/Mac? Here's your chance!
I assume by "testing" the Mac installer, you mean running a wine-like program (Darwine), which is only possible with Intel-based Macs?  Or am I missing something in the thread you linked?

Also, on the same note, I haven't been around here in a while...  The latest FS2_Open build for mac would be 3.6.9 RC8, right?  With the latest media-VPs being 3.6.8 Zeta...?

A couple more things... just some suggestions.  These forums are really intimidating (finding your way around, and finding out where to get the things you need) unless you've been around here for a while.  Just an idea, but it would be really awesome if you could sticky a topic that has the latest mac/linux build linked, as well as the latest recommended VPs.

I would volunteer to put up a mac-newbie installer guide here, but I just don't think I'd have the time to update it.

Anyways, thanks for your guys' hard work on all this stuff.  Still a great game. (Can't wait for the BSG mod to be done  ;7)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 07:51:30 am by Hazaanko »

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Also, on the same note, I haven't been around here in a while...  The latest FS2_Open build for mac would be 3.6.9 RC8, right?
The final 3.6.9 OS X build is done, I just haven't had a chance to upload it yet.  I had planned to do it last night but got called away on a job.  I'll try and do it at some point this afternoon.

Awesome.  Thanks.  Didn't expect such a quick reply  :eek2:.  I made some edits to the post above after you'd already posted.

Sounds good to me.  Looking forward to checking it out.  I did notice some problems with contrail sprites in 3.6.9 RC8 (the corners of the sprites were black instead of being transparent... looked more like confetti than smoke.  Thats probably fixed anyways though).

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
I assume by "testing" the Mac installer, you mean running a wine-like program (Darwine), which is only possible with Intel-based Macs?  Or am I missing something in the thread you linked?

The Installer has been re-written in Java, so all you'll need to do is have the JRE installed, and double-click the .jar file. I tried it on a Mac today, but it didn't have the JRE, so I couldn't do anything with it.  :doubt:
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Bummer.  Thats pretty cool you did it in java tho.  Well, I'll get off my lazy ass sometime tomorrow to see if the installer starts flinging my fs2 disc at high velocities towards my head area.  I'll let you know.

-Edit-  N/M.  Its scripted to download the scp files into an existing sf2 installation, isn't it? •swiftkicktothejunk*  Looks like my head is safe for now.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 01:08:34 am by Hazaanko »

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Current OS X and Linux versions ...

That thread is locked though, so if you have problems then start a new thread, or add to another one. :)

Offline tracker

I looks forward to the version Linux thank you taylor