Author Topic: I Can Already Guess the Answer, But I'll Ask Anyway: PCI-Express+Win98SE=?  (Read 2256 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I Can Already Guess the Answer, But I'll Ask Anyway: PCI-Express+Win98SE=?
Presently, I have a dual-boot system, which allows me to boot into Windows98SE, or Windows XP.  I've been using WinXP for more and more lately, but I still have a few legacy games (Red Baron 3D, mainly) which won't run properly under XP (don't run with full rez, and sound disappears after game restart and doesn't come back), but Win98SE runs it flawlessly.  Now, some time from now, I'd like to upgrade my PC's core components, in the form of motherboard, CPU, RAM, and video card.  The motherboard and video card will most decidedly be PCI-Express, but I'm concerned as to whether Windows98SE will even accept it.  It may allow me to run under a generic PCI driver, but I'm not sure.

Anyone got a confirmed and non-speculative answer for me?

BTW, will an S-ATA-300 Hard drive will work on an S-ATA-150 controller?  I'm guessing yes, but I figured I'd ask.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Davros

Re: I Can Already Guess the Answer, But I'll Ask Anyway: PCI-Express+Win98SE=?
there should be a jumper on the hdd to set it to sata 150

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Red Baron should work in XP with DOSBox.......
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
there should be a jumper on the hdd to set it to sata 150

Ive never seen a SATA drive with a jumper, personally... but in any case, it should still be backwards compatable.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Red Baron should work in XP with DOSBox.......
Are you thinking the Original Red Baron, or Red Baron II (3D)?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Trivial Psychic, ATI and NVIDIA have not been updating their legacy Windows 9x/ME drivers since 2005, you won't get new PCI-Express cards to work in W9x, not with 3D-acceleration at least, I don't know if W9x will even boot properly with the very latest hardware.

SATA300 HDD's should have jumpers you can use to set it to SATA150 compatibility.

I suggest you keep your current computer for legacy W9x/DOS-games, much less trouble that way. Even emulators probably won't do much good if you want to get hardware 3D-acceleration to work in W9x games.

SATA300 HDD's should have jumpers you can use to set it to SATA150 compatibility.

You should even need to do that, actually. Last time I checked, "conversion" is done automatically. But it could depend on manufacturer, not really 100% sure.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 11:49:03 am by CmdKewin »
----------------------------------------------
GTD Swiss Pride - Orion Class
Swiss 1st Fleet, Sector 32 - Ore Belt - Sol
----------------------------------------------
"I'm an engineer!"

Eve: Since Beta Phase 2
Civilizazion Fan: Seems like forever...
SimCity Fan: SC 2000 is still the best
TT Fan: Since 1995
Switzerland: Since 1291

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Running them through Wine might work :D