Author Topic: This has to be the most...  (Read 7883 times)

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Re: This has to be the most...
3. A user-friendly installer
Doesn't really have to be standardized, but something with a GUI and point-and-click user interface. I'm skeptical of Java because I couldn't get the .jar file running on my machine, and not everyone is going to have or want to install Java. A binary, wxWidgets-based installer would be ideal. It should also be able to offer a description for each component.

In addition, the installer should be able to check for gotchas (directory typo, missing/incomplete/corrupted FS2 install) and tell the user what is going on.

Most of this is already on my to-do list, I just haven't had time. FYI, I'll post it here:
1. Move all the needed user interaction to the front, so it can be left alone after you start it.
2. Re-try downloading on failure, skip after 5 tries.
3. Preliminary GUI.
4. Updater check file existence and size, won't re-download if it exists and is the same size.
5. Add descriptions to sections.
6. MAYBE merge the Retail and Open Installers. Also includes checking for retail existence.
7. Finally get some sleep.  :o
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Please see http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,44569.0.html

:nervous:

The gesture is appreciated, but it's not a proper solution. It looks like you've come up with an updated version of ShivanSPS's pack, but it doesn't really make the install any easier, and it also makes things worse by adding individual files outside of the official MediaVPs and Releases. Things like Nebulae and the shockwave graphic need to be a part of the official media release. It's a nice, fast, short-term fix, true. But it's going to cause complete chaos when all of the official files are upgraded to the next version, but everyone using your pack is still seeing the old effects. And it will be a tech support nightmare to fix because of all the standalone files scattered throughout the install, people will either have to hunt down and delete each one, or do a clean install of the new SCP version.

However, if you can get away with hosting 650MB files, you could definitely host a mirror. :) What's your webspace situation?

To me it looks like the best method to hammer out an easy install process is to use:
1) [DW]-Hunter's Freespace 2 Installer
2) Turey's FS2Open Installer, upgraded
3) Launcher config guide

Unfortunately this leaves Mac and Linux users high and dry, so it might be worth it to have a separate Step 1 download that contains the FS2 directory (in a .rar file). But it does allow everyone who has Freespace 2 installed to start at Step 2 and use the same process as everyone else.

@Turey: Does Java possess the OS awareness to generate shortcuts/symlinks for the various platforms, and is it possible to provide a native binary for each one (in case they don't have Java installed)?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 05:58:29 pm by WMCoolmon »
-C

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
@Turey: Does Java possess the OS awareness to generate shortcuts/symlinks for the various platforms?

No idea. I'll look into it. The main problem would be that I have no idea where to put them on mac and *nix.

EDIT: I know I can do it on Win, by simply cheating and calling cmd.exe from Java. I don't know if Java provides a native way to do it.

is it possible to provide a native binary for each one (in case they don't have Java installed)?

I'm already doing Windows native binaries. If I could find an application similar to Excelsior JET that would make Mac and *nix binaries, I'd use it (provided it was as easy to work with as JET.)

EDIT: Finally read through that whole thing, and there's some pretty harsh criticism of the Installer in there. However, it's needed criticism, and it's correct. I'll see what I can do.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 07:06:01 pm by Turey »
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.