Author Topic: World's Easiest FreeSpace SCP Download  (Read 9057 times)

Offline Tamlin

Re: World's Easiest FreeSpace SCP Download
Thanx Bud.. Got to put my kid back to sleep  Later..See Turey I have I thinks all the mods that are[ i think]
 My problem is getting them to work.The original download was the Oct one.That seems to be the spark of this flame. So I buidlt[ oops it ]modularlly got the Uberpack and went from there but I'm missing stuff Like models I.E. an Athen adv. model and the ability to shoot stuff down in FS port and so on I'll be back.. Kids now screaming
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 01:46:57 am by Tamlin »

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Actually, Taylor compiled a bleeding-edge build today, but its location is not generally known.  :drevil:
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Tamlin

Hey i just found abuild 3.6.9 INF in fs2 warpcore what is it ?another dam buiild after all this.Or is it the Infernoes set [the one for them to be scp,.. stand alone] Or another update?

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Nope.  Its not a build intended for general release.  Taylor compiled it for someone else to test out a specific bug that that someone was experiencing.  As usual, as soon as I heard about it, I kept my eyes sharp and on the lookout in my usual sources, and BAM.  I believe that Taylor said that it was based on his own current code tree, which isn't in CVS.  That said, since he didn't intend it for general release, I'm not gonna tell you where it is.  :P
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Tamlin

Hey that's cool....  what new, what Idon't know what your talking about. ;) and I don'tlike smileys

I'm beginning to think we need to break out the the Nerf bats[bam.. homey don't play that] ..Good work to all youz..I couldn't do this, Soldier of Fortune2 and StarFleetCommand3 yes but not this Sh** to busy with my restaurant but, Consolation Prize questions about food shoot them my way..SCP/FSO you get my dumb questions. Later on ..
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 02:02:14 am by Tamlin »

Offline PzyCrow

Just some installer input:

Most of this is related to the files in the install, but it's the kind of stuff you want to know if you are expected to assemble a bunch of files from different sources.

Things I wished I could have read in ONE place during the installation information gathering:

1. The relationship between the 'data' folder and .vp files and the -mod switch
2. The minimum list of files needed from the retail version (mentioning which files needs to be replaced for the patched version)
3, A complete list of where those files could be found
4. Clarification on exactly whats missing from HotU

I compiled the answers to some of those questions here. But I'm still curious about whats in the different .vp-files, and why I would like to have tangoa_fs2.vp or tangob_fs2.vp.

I agree with you, though my download is provided so new users won't have to figure that stuff out.
I can't answer question 1.

Hunter/Turey's Online FS2 Installer provides the minimum files (you might delete the updater and Fred2 files, and add movies). It looks like this:

And Karajorma discusses the HotU version here.

Offline ShivanSpS

you dont change the endding.avi to .ogg in transcent?

Good question.

I have not. That's up to the author of Transcend.

If it's been done I'll change my upload, even though it hasn't been posted in this thread.

Offline ShivanSpS

But I already uploaded a .ogg vercion of the ending file in the trascend post.

OK, I found it.

Since you didn't give me a link  :rolleyes:

Exactly which directory do I put the cutscenes table in?

Thanks for your awesome work!!

Well, after reading through all this. I'm trying to figure out why there is no mention of what any of the files do, not in either read me,

Yes I wrote a guide the other day, Although its almost sunk off the bottom of the modding section part of the forum, I made my guide just to install all of the necessary files to get FSO working, without modifications as it adds to the problems, its also so people who have just spent one to two days downloading the retail version (as most will no doubt grab them before looking to mod it) can get a clear and precise knowledge of what the files are. And partly because of the post that WMCoolmon put in my "this has to be the most..." thread.

I know that I'm very wary about what files I bung on my PC, especially if I do not know what they do and what there for.

I left out the installer, because it used the command prompt, and most things that iv used a command prompt installer for, have a tendency to just Close once it's finished, leaving you with no knowledge of what its just done or added, or they stay on your screen and even though you can read whats on there, it makes no sense as your still not familiar with what files you really needed.

There is no update information on there as there doesn't need to be, it would get updated as necessary with the new update links once i my self new of there arrival, after all, isn't that what a "modify" button is for?

« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 11:14:17 pm by TheAgent »

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
I left out the installer, because it used the command prompt, and most things that iv used a command prompt installer for, have a tendency to just Close once it's finished, leaving you with no knowledge of what its just done or added, or they stay on your screen and even though you can read whats on there, it makes no sense as your still not familiar with what files you really needed.

this is fixed.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Well, after reading through all this. I'm trying to figure out why there is no mention of what any of the files do, not in either read me,
Umm, I'm confused.  :confused: The files are already in the proper place, why would a new user care or need to know what the files do or where they go? I'm not being mean, I'd really like to know.

This is not an installer either, it's a pre-configured download. An installer is an exe, which does things to your system, which is something you seem to be nervous about. ShivanSPS makes an installer. It runs OpenAL and creates a program group and a shortcut. Turey makes a downloader. I just creates a folder and puts files there, last time I checked. It doesn't run anything.

Of the three, mine is the most passive of all. It doesn't create anything. You can virus scan my rar files. There is no exe to do anything other than run the game. All that results is a folder you can put anywhere.

The readme files are very specifically for configuring the game only. I purposely omitted anything else that might be confusing to a first time user. I didn't even include the fred documents. The single purpose is to get a new user into the game as quickly as possible.

I know that I'm very wary about what files I bung on my PC, especially if I do not know what they do and what there for.
That's why they make spyware and virus checkers. Otherwise how could you install any of the files from this site?

I know what very few of these files do. It's hard enough right now to figure out where they're supposed to be, and I didn't even do that. Like I said in my first post, I just copied what I saw elsewhere. All I've really figured out is what to remove, not what to add.

If I WERE to write something about the files, and file placement, I might look at your post (which I have, I've even posted there), but I find ShivanSPS' file map to be much more complete. And then I would get the tools listed by karajorma and start examining file contents.

I still welcome (and am still waiting for) any constructive criticism that is germane.  :)

Umm, I'm confused.  :confused: The files are already in the proper place, why would a new user care or need to know what the files do or where they go? I'm not being mean, I'd really like to know.

because if someone mucks something up, (it has happened with simpler tasks) how would they even know what files are FS2 files and what are MOD files, so they can sort something out.

This is not an installer either, it's a pre-configured download. An installer is an exe, which does things to your system, which is something you seem to be nervous about. ShivanSPS makes an installer. It runs OpenAL and creates a program group and a shortcut. Turey makes a downloader. I just creates a folder and puts files there, last time I checked. It doesn't run anything.

I'm not nervous about things, i just hate spending time sorting out my system when it goes pair shaped, but more to the point, you know that, i know that, but not everyone is computer tech savvy.

The readme files are very specifically for configuring the game only. I purposely omitted anything else that might be confusing to a first time user. I didn't even include the fred documents. The single purpose is to get a new user into the game as quickly as possible.

I'm not having a nag, but by doing so, they don't even know what files they are?

That's why they make spy ware and virus checkers. Otherwise how could you install any of the files from this site?

its amazing how many PC's iv fixed in my everyday business that have web access yet don't bother with virus checkers and spy ware removal.

I know what very few of these files do. It's hard enough right now to figure out where they're supposed to be, and I didn't even do that.

That's why its important to let newbies know what files they are installing and where in the install these files are located, if you don't know what these files do, how are we to help someone who asks for help with this install when / if something goes wrong?

Granted, from what it sounds like its a simple drag and drop affair once its unzipped, and it sounds lovely (something i could have done with when installing and setting up mine) but just a tad more info would have been good.

Sorry to sound like I'm having a whine as I'm not, I'm just point things out that I feel should be addressed, other than that, its a good post.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 12:12:19 am by TheAgent »

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
How about writing about these installers into FSwiki?
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

We can't even get all the launcher settings noted.  ;)

Seriously though, all the downloads, installers etc. are in a state of flux right now, but soon...

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
How about writing about these installers into FSwiki?

Mine's in the Wiki, but the page is out of date. I'll fix that today.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
My opinion on the launchers is that you guys should form a proper SCP installer team with a clearly defined list of files (with set locations) that end up on the hard drive after installation.

That way when someone has to troubleshoot an SCP installation we know exactly what we should be dealing with even before we start reading their thread and can easily see where the error lies.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

I agree completely, and I think it will happen too.

The "clearly defined list of files" part isn't much of a problem, but the "set locations" part is trickier. I for one would welcome some authoritative guideline, since right now there appears to be more than one correct way of placing files.

<edit> I think Shivan and Turey are converging, and I when they do I will follow suit.