Author Topic: What about Intel's Speedstep on MacOSX?  (Read 1711 times)

What about Intel's Speedstep on MacOSX?
Hi guys,

I've read about Intel's SpeedStep technology today. They says it's software controlled. Has FS2_Open support for 'tackeling' the SpeedStep (running at a lower speed) problem?

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Re: What about Intel's Speedstep on MacOSX?
AFAIK it's not relevant even on OS X. Software controlled in this case means that CPU throttling is done on driver-level. The CPU driver throttles CPU down when CPU usage is low and back up again when it gets high. Applications itself does not have to support SpeedStep, PowerNow! or Cool 'n Quiet technologies. This becomes only somewhat relevant with games that use hardware auto-detection to determine optimal in-game settings. It is common that in the case of CPU's such auto-detection checks for CPU clock instead of CPU family and model, in which case it is possible that auto-detection thinks you have poorer CPU than you really have.

When I run FS2_Open on my MacBook Pro 2,0GHz, I have sometimes a delay in reaction of the game.

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Plug your MacBook in for optimal performance.  OS X automatically reduces performance in order to save battery life.  Alternatively, manually select "Better Performance" from the Power menu bar item when unplugged.  But this will consume power faster, of course.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting