Author Topic: Dead community?  (Read 2968 times)

Offline Grawr

• Morituri Nolumus Mori.
Hi folks... just found out that you can get FS2 + FSO on the 'net, spooged, and then commenced an all day download. I was living with the HotU version for ages... However, I have a habit of finally getting into a game like this just when it's community dies, and the lack of players on FS2NET and the "AWOL" bits here are kind of giving me the impression that this place isn't so active anymore : /... If I'm mistaken, and there are thirty or so people playing MP during the daytime or something, then hurrah... so, just wondering if someone could let me know how the community is doing... thanks in advance to any replies! Haven't had a space combat sim rush like this since IWar2 and TIE Fighter.

On further inspection, this community seems very active, just not the MP part, apparently.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 10:47:28 pm by Grawr »
The optimist sees a glass half full, the pessimist sees a glass half empty, and the engineer sees a glass twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Qwer

• If it bleeds, I can mod it
If it comes to MP there are bad times now as very few people are active in MP, but should be better soon. Even if FS2netD isn't active (which I'm not informed about) there are still IP games. Also most of the community have switched from MP to modding.
If in your opinion there's no difference beetwen "Master Game" and "Game Master", I can only feel for you.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
MP is slowly making a comeback. The total conversions are really leading the way on this. Battlestar Galactica, Wing Commander and Starfox TCs will all be releasing multiplayer demos this year and there is bound to be some people who go from those to FS2.

Right now it is possible to play online if you set a time and date and try to persuade people to turn up.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Grawr

• Morituri Nolumus Mori.
Glad to hear that the MP scene is likely to be revived... usually I arrive when things are dying or dead, this is the opposite :D. A BSG TC sounds interesting, but I'd really like to see this Starfox one... I was a Starfox kid before I discovered TIE Fighter on my first PC; the idea of seeing the arcade-ish gameplay translated into an FS2 environment sounds intriguing.
The optimist sees a glass half full, the pessimist sees a glass half empty, and the engineer sees a glass twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
http://www.game-warden.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16

Take a look. The BSG board is also on Game-Warden too. As is the FS2NetD forum (which is one of the better places to find a game).

Offline Grawr

• Morituri Nolumus Mori.
While I've got your attention... when I installed FS2/FS2 Open (online installer), it didn't grab all of the mediavps right away so I picked up the rest... although, they were not used unless I copied the contents of the mediavps folder into the FS2 folder (overwriting the fs20pen config thing in /data), but looking around here it seems that the vps should have automatically been used; I tried restoring the mediavps folder, to no avail. Will having them in the FS2 folder itself cause problems, and do I still install things like Bob's Beams in the mediavps/data/glow subfolder?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The media VPs will not be automatically used. You must run the launcher, go to the mods tab and press select mod. Then choose the mediavps folder.

Do not install the media VPs to the main FS2 folder and do not install anything to Freespace2\Data unless you know damn well what you're doing and can troubleshoot the problems that will occur if you use a non-standard configuration for your install. 

There is no mediavps\data\glow folder but you are correct that you do want to install mods like that in the mediavps\data\ subfolders.