Author Topic: What is Gliding?  (Read 1470 times)

There's a keybinding under ship that says "Toggle Gliding". What does it do? I've hit the key it's bound to and made no difference iwhile I'm playing, as far as I can tell.

Also, is there any way to get my targeting to stop targeting a ship's turret (should it have one) automatically? It's a huge, huge pain in the ass when bombing a capital ship and the turret gets destroyed and I have to re-aquire a lock. There's a command that says "Turn off auto-subsystem targeting" but it only works for the current ship, not them all. (Is this broken by the SCP? I have no idea)
Consider, friend, as you pass by, as you are now, so once was I.
As I am now, you too shall be. Prepare, therefore, to follow me.

-- Scottish tombstone epitaph

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Think of strafing for fighters.

Shivan fighters are the only ones with the proper .tbl entries to do it, but the AI isn't smart enough to use it effectively.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I thought that was just missile blasts throwing their light hulls all over creation. (Hitting a Dragon once with a Subach is equivilant to throwing a wall of Morning Star fire at a Seraphim...it'll go flying for miles... :rolleyes:)

I had assumed it allowed some semblance of inertia to be used, so I guess it's ship specific.
Consider, friend, as you pass by, as you are now, so once was I.
As I am now, you too shall be. Prepare, therefore, to follow me.

-- Scottish tombstone epitaph

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Gliding - IF enabled via tables for that particular ship class - enables ship to change its heading (orientation) without changing its velocity (vector). It is not the same as strafing. Its like the 'Shelton Slide' from Wing Commanders, or like 'manual thrust control' from I-Wars.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yep. What the Shivan Mara can do is Sliding.

Gliding is new to the SCP. If you want to see a good example of gliding in action watch the viper at the start of this video.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
BSG crew asked for this, or they were lucky? :p
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
WMC put it in but I wasn't on the team at the time so I don't know if they asked or not.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]