Author Topic: Horror genre on PC  (Read 4594 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I think it was the birds I found ****ing terrifying in RE1; mainly because I spent ages and ages trying to kill them before giving up and just running past.  IIRC.

There are quite a few "horror games" mentioned previously, but there is no such thing as a horror genre. Horror is more an aspect of a game rather than a defining genre. The reason there's a horror genre for movies is because the purpose of the movie is to scare you. In games, you don't want the purpose of the game to scare you (well, maybe you do, but you can't build a game on just that). Horror games would only result in boredom because you'd expect to be horri-fied. FEAR and the others were scary because you didn't know when you'd be spooked.

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
I didn't know about those. I'll assume they can be googled?

Shock Texture Upgrade Project - A straight up-rezzing of most of the object textures.
System Shock Rebirth Beta 1 - Complete redo of several of the AI models. Technically excellent, but takes some creative liberties. Usually recommended for the second playthrough.
System Shock Rebirth Complemented - An expanded version of the above package, with some additional models and some texture tweaks to make them more faithful to the originals.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
so how does one get SS2 to work on XP? it refuse's to install. I loved that game to bits, i also never got a chance to finish it!  :nervous:
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Shock Texture Upgrade Project - A straight up-rezzing of most of the object textures.
System Shock Rebirth Beta 1 - Complete redo of several of the AI models. Technically excellent, but takes some creative liberties. Usually recommended for the second playthrough.
System Shock Rebirth Complemented - An expanded version of the above package, with some additional models and some texture tweaks to make them more faithful to the originals.

Thanks, ZB. I'll start with the upgrade, then give the rebirths a try.

[edit] Hmm, rebirth links seem to be dead. I got the straight up rez upgrade at least.

[edit2] Although, my browser is being really slow.. and I can't even view some HLP topics now...  :mad:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 12:45:26 pm by Ulala »
I am a revolutionary.