Author Topic: Ok, what mods and maps?  (Read 2396 times)

Offline Inquisitor

Ok, what mods and maps?
I need a good list of the top 5 maps/campaigns (single or multi, SW not relevant, just for fun) you guys would recommend for an OLD time FS player who reinstalled FS2.

Also, mods, what ones are the best? I ASSUME the B5 mod, it simply looks incredible, anything else? Does the B5 mod support mult, etc?

Guess I will pop over to FSW and poke around, but I thought it'd be a bright idea to ask the experts  
No signature.

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/
Im pretty sure the current released mod thats done the most conversion is B5, but IMHO the campaign wasn't that good, the few missions it had.
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Offline Wildlife

• Dark Agent
    • s00n
The campaign only had 5 missions, but a larger campaign is being worked on to go with the first release  .
and there are loads of user-made TBP missions which will soon be set up on the vw archives.   and some of them are quite good  

and tbp does support some multi play.
Nag..Nag Bloody NAG!!

Texture Artist for The Babylon Project

Texture Artist for  Dark Alliance

Texture Artist for Alternate Paths

Texture Artist for  The 158th

Texture Artist for  Over The Top

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The current release is just a demo. I`m sure the full release will be much better (and bigger!)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Try my campaign's test release; I think you will like it.  

The most popular campaign out there is Derelict by far, but I personally did not think it was all that great. (mission quality was below average IMHO) Another popular one is Warzone, by the same people, which I personally liked better due to the less buggy missions. Twilight is also a nice one that I would definitely recommend. (aside from a few story quirks, it really has no errors)

[This message has been edited by CP5670 (edited 01-18-2002).]

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Let's see here...

*glances down HLP Hosted Forums section*

Well, I think that'll set ya up pretty well.  

Apart from that... main campaign on Insane (hey, it rhymes!), Derelict, Warzone, and Aeos Affair. Simple.  
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Black Sheep

• Wannabe Composer

Originally posted by karajorma:
The current release is just a demo. I`m sure the full release will be much better (and bigger!)

WRONG!!!!

It is the first release with a demo campaign!!!

There is a difference between our releases and our campaigns!!!
"Something is rotten in the state of Denmark"
-Hamlet rulez

Twilight is also a nice one that I would definitely recommend. (aside from a few story quirks, it really has no errors)

I always had a problem with the Creon, kept crashing the program. In the end I had to replace it another the ship, the Ares.  

Boomerang (sp?) is also enjoyable (has speech too).

------------------
'The more women there are about, the softer a wise man steps.' Saying in Arad Doman.

'Well, since the whole loaf won't be mine, I will settle for whatever slices fall my way.' - Mazrim Taim

Why not visit the Time of Change website? Well once I get back up that is.
'Honour the valiant who fall beneath your sword, but pity the warrior who slays all his foes' - G'trok, in the poem lu geng

'Clarification is not to make oneself clear, it is to put oneself in the clear.' - Sir Humphrey Appleby

Why not visit the Time of Change website?

Or perhaps my own website - Telencephalon

Offline Arnav

• Slightly rusty technology
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/techsup
 http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/techsup  *SIGH*

------------------
- Arnav Manchanda
Creator of Technological Superiority: http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/techsup
"At least I have job" - Unidentified Soviet Flak Trooper before being prismed.
"Sword, meet evil! Evil, meet my sword!" - hmm wonder who said that
- Arnav
Creator of Technological Superiority: http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/techsup
"At least I have job" - Unidentified Soviet Flak Trooper before being prismed.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Ah, so this is now a p1mp thread. Well then, download this now! It is simply the best out there, even before completion!

[This message has been edited by CP5670 (edited 01-25-2002).]

If it's a p1mp thread then:

[p1mp] Time of Change [/pimp].

------------------
'Honour the valiant who fall beneath your sword, but pity the warrior who slays all his foes.' - G'trok, in the poem lu geng

'Well, since the whole loaf won't be mine, I will settle for whatever slices fall my way.' - Mazrim Taim

'Honour the valiant who fall beneath your sword, but pity the warrior who slays all his foes' - G'trok, in the poem lu geng

'Clarification is not to make oneself clear, it is to put oneself in the clear.' - Sir Humphrey Appleby

Or perhaps my own website - Telencephalon

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
few story quirks
Story quirks? E-Mail me, there seems to be no continuity issues, and a few things I found cheesy have been edited out of the new version being done.

As for the comments on Creon crashes, etc. the re-release coming soon fixes everything and definately improves the campaign dramatically.

------------------
Ace
Staff member FreeSpace Watch
 http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Oh man, Derelict was bloody awesome! Well, most of it was, the ending seemed a bit rushed to me.   But taken as a whole, I thought it was at least as entertaining as the main FS2 campaign, and recommend it without reservation. Easily the best out of the custom campaigns I've tried. (Babylon is just too freakin big for my 56k   )

And of course, I never miss a chance to show off my one contribution to the FS community... the Velocity Mod.

[This message has been edited by Sushi mk. 2 (edited 02-01-2002).]

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)
And how does it perform with the Velocity Mod?  
"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

Darn it, I was afraid that would happen.   I was momentarily distracted. Won't happen again, I promise!

And, to be honest, I played it without. Just because I wanted to make sure the dialogue wouldn't get messed up because me and my fighters were running waypoints too quickly. There's too much time-critical pacing in Derelict for that to have worked with the V-mod.  

The ending dogfights, however, are a completely different beast.