Author Topic: A ?? RE: FS Cap Shipclasses;  (Read 4720 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: A ?? RE: FS Cap Shipclasses;
Don't forget Dreadnaught which is slightly smaller than a Supercarrier.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
I'd definately reclassify some stuff...

Change the Levithan to Battlecruiser.
Change the Iceni to Attack Frigate.
Change the Athena to Fighter.
A few others, too...
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The Iceni was a command frigate technically, but it could be classed as an attack frigate.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
It's fast, it has alright armour, and it has a single side for anti-cap weapons... it's an attack frigate.

The point is that the Iceni can't defend itself from all sides; a characteristic I consider necessary to be a general-use ship or a defensive ship. It is, thus, an attack ship.

Still, it's a good ship for the size, speed, armour, and commander.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Technically, I said.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I thought the general concept of "Dreadnaught" was "Destroyer without fighterbay"?

Though arguably that's what the Iceni is.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The Iceni is smaller than a destroyer though. Still.

Perhaps it is.... Either or.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
Yep...

Still, the Iceni is called a Frigate; I simply classified it a bit more specifically; an attack frigate. It's faster and has weaponry concentrated toward a single area (one side).

The Iceni as a Dreadnought is very far fetched; other then the amount of armour it has, it shares nearly nothing in common with a destroyer. It is over twice as fast (35m/s iirc) and is a fraction the size (800m iirc). It's definately not a dreadnought by your definition.

I'll personally be using the Monitor.

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
Yep...

Still, the Iceni is called a Frigate; I simply classified it a bit more specifically; an attack frigate. It's faster and has weaponry concentrated toward a single area (one side).

The Iceni as a Dreadnought is very far fetched; other then the amount of armour it has, it shares nearly nothing in common with a destroyer. It is over twice as fast (35m/s iirc) and is a fraction the size (800m iirc). It's definately not a dreadnought by your definition.

I'll personally be using the Monitor.

It's Dreadnought.
Dreadnought was simply a modernized battleship - instead of variable armament it had the same-caliber main batteries ("all big gun"), making it far more efficient than previous battleship models which sported many different calibers and gun types. The thing about Dreadnought is that it made all other battleship classes pretty obsolete overnight. After HMS Dreadnought was introduced in 1905 all battleship construction switched to ships of similar type. Iowas, Yamatos and so on are actually dreadnoughts, but nowadays the term is interchangable with the term "battleship". HMS Dreadnought was also fast and well-armoured, as well as being bigger and far more modern vessel than previous battleship types.

In science fiction, however, dreadnought is pretty commonly used to describe a certain type of vessel, a really big battleship which does not usually house a fighter bay.

A compact warship with less tonnage than a battleship but which is far more potent than a cruiser is a battlecruiser. They are described as either "upscaled cruisers" or "downscaled BBs", whatever suits you.

Of course, none of these traditions really mean jack **** when you can make up your own rules and pull history out of your ass, and in FS universe the entire naming convention is a huge mess anyways..
lol wtf

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
The Iceni is smaller than a destroyer though. Still.

Well, that's rather the point. If you take off the fighterbay and the ordinance storage and all that other stuff needed to operate fighters, the destroyer would shrink.

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I think the idea is that you replace all that stuff with armor, weapons, and power supply.

Otherwise you don't have a dreadnought, you have an anemic carrier. 

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Not if the shrunken destroyer was an Orion, which seems to be the whole thing behind the Iceni; it has 3 BGreens. Then you have the anticapital corvette of doom.

A Feddie Story

Offline Iron Wolf

• Shzam!

35/mps is correct, although according to the wiki the Iceni was 998 m long, just a hair shy of a kilometer long warship.
Come on now, be honest. Wouldn't you all rather listen to your hairdressers than Hercules? Or Horatius? Or Orpheus? All those old bores! people so lofty they sound as if they s**t marble! - Mozart, Amadeus

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Not if the shrunken destroyer was an Orion, which seems to be the whole thing behind the Iceni; it has 3 BGreens. Then you have the anticapital corvette of doom.

It is a bit weak in anti-fighter guns. Basically it could have been the GTVA's answer to the Lillith: An extremely fast, well armed and armored anti-capship frigate.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
It was built for speed, for durability, and for the best broadsiding in the game! For its size, it's much better at a broadside then even the Big C.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
In science fiction, however, dreadnought is pretty commonly used to describe a certain type of vessel, a really big battleship which does not usually house a fighter bay.

A compact warship with less tonnage than a battleship but which is far more potent than a cruiser is a battlecruiser. They are described as either "upscaled cruisers" or "downscaled BBs", whatever suits you.

Of course, none of these traditions really mean jack **** when you can make up your own rules and pull history out of your ass, and in FS universe the entire naming convention is a huge mess anyways..

I allways got the impression that in sci-fi a dreadnought is usually a big-ass ship with a single uber-weapon (think Homeworld 2 dreadnought), while a battleship is an equally big ship, but with lot's of "smaller" guns.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
I allways got the impression that in sci-fi a dreadnought is usually a big-ass ship with a single uber-weapon (think Homeworld 2 dreadnought), while a battleship is an equally big ship, but with lot's of "smaller" guns.

Depends, but most sci-fi conventions use "überweapons" as a plot devices anyways and like to use them if possible. It doesn't really matter if a dreadnought sports a superweapon or not, in scifi it's usually a "big-ass battleship with a lots of gun (maybe a superweapon too)". (There are, of course, differences..) Does it have shields or not, does it have a rail particle beam tachyon cannon or not - pretty irrelevant to the point at hand.

One should also remember that in real-life history the single-caliber main armament + advanced FCS of a dreadnought-type battleship was a really potent weapon and made other types pretty much obsolete overnight, so a supergun-armed capital ship is not that distant idea anyways!

lol wtf

Then I guess Strattcomm's Archangel suits the class perfectly.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I always thought dreadnoughts were command ships an the flagships of fleets, and had lots of money wasted on fancy weapons and armor, and never get deployed for combat.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I see Supercarriers fill that role more, with Dreadnaughts doing the heavy fighting.