Author Topic: Raging Newbie here, but fast learner! (with something cool for FSSCP)  (Read 29701 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: Raging Newbie here, but fast learner! (with something cool for FSSCP)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
That name reminds me Azzurro. Good to know.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Hehe, good news... 2 seeds, 12 peers

Those screenshots are from Azureus 3.0, with the 3D View plugin, and the Advanced Info plugin.

Here is what I don't understand.  The DVD is windows, the installer and all the files on it are windows.  Then why Does the installer install the file Freespace2OSX.dmg?  Any mac users would never be able to get at it.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Here is what I don't understand.  The DVD is windows, the installer and all the files on it are windows.  Then why Does the installer install the file Freespace2OSX.dmg?  Any mac users would never be able to get at it.

DVDs SHOULD be cross-platform. The Open Installer/Updater is cross-platform. I don't know about hip63's DVD Installer, but I'd assume that it's win only. Running the Updater will install the .dmg only if you ask for it.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

well it IS installed with Hip63's windows installer.  LOL

In any case i noticed that the Apollo he included with the installer must be the old one as the red.tga glows don't work.  if you go to the middle of this page you will find a vp where they do work. http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,35943.150.html
Perhaps Turry you should include this in the update installer for it to be replaced.
EDIT I could be wrong, but i think it has higer res map too then the first one included.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 05:55:48 pm by Darklord42 »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Hmm,
@Huggybaby: When should I stop seeding?  My automatic settings stopped me, now I'm using "Forced Seeding"...  I have 6 Seeds, 11 Peers... I'm uploading at about 5 - 10 KB / sec, have been for awhile... I'm not slowing it down, am I?  Should I allow it to just sit in Queue?

"When should I stop seeding?" That's completely up to you. With 6 seeds and 11 peers, any downloaders would appreciate all the seeders they can get.

"I'm uploading at about 5 - 10 KB / sec, have been for awhile" If your settings are correct, and that is your only active torrent, you should be able to upload at the maximum speed of your connection.

"I'm not slowing it down, am I?" I'm not sure what you mean by "it". If you're talking about the swarm, it's impossible to slow the swarm by participating in any way. If you mean your individual connection, that depends on your Azureaus settings and whether you're uploading or downloading any other torrents at the same time.

"Should I allow it to just sit in Queue?" What's in the queue doesn't affect anything.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I've been seeding at ~100 K/sec, now 5-10 K/sec... :wtf: ?

I want to keep seeding until the swarm is quite large and fast...

I meant the swarm being slowed down, thx for the answer.  :D

Allowing it to sit in Queue was just me wondering if I was slowing the swarm down, and should wait until it needed me again.

Ah, uploading at 50 K/sec now, much better... but still not 100.  :confused:

EDIT: For some reason, its now uploading at 110 K/sec, I'm happy now... I guess torrents sometimes take a dip in speed like this, and its normal, huh?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 07:19:08 pm by jr2 »

The way torrents work is that leechers will always download from the fastest combination of seeders. It depends on the upload speed of each seeder, as well as their distance from any leecher.

If you are seeding, there is no way you can slow down the swarm, you can only contribute to it. What probably is happening is that some guy (or guys) at a university somewhere is going on and offline. He/they  have what we call a "fat pipe", so they can seed at an extremely high rate of speed (fiber optic?), much faster than us home users. When they are online, count your blessings! They can seed so much faster with their high speed connection than you can, that they naturally contribute to most of the flow, reducing your contribution---this is a good thing! When they go offline, that leaves the rest of us to take up the slack, and that's when you see your upload speed take a jump.

With the current state of affairs, be glad when your upload drops---but keep seeding. Ideally, there will be at least four times as many seeders as leechers, but a couple of fat pipes can change the equation. Ratios aside, what we're shooting for is that each downloader can download at their maximum speed. As a rule of thumb, there should be more seeders than leechers.

It's simple, but confuses me the more I read my explanation, so I'll stop now.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I understand.  Thx much.  :D

If you guys ever did want to start mailing people a copy, the simple answer is -- the person who wants the DVD burned for them sends a blank DVD to a certain address along with a SASE back to whereever they want it sent.

That way, no money is exchanged at all.  The game is just given away, as it is here on the internet.  As long as someone is willing to do the burning, it's simply a matter of receiving mail and then dropping it in the mailbox.  Doesn't violate the license.
mb:  Asus A8AE-LE, athlon 64 3200+ 2ghz, 1024mb ram (2x512 pc3200), evga geforce 7600 gt 256mb gddr3 pci-e, hdd 142gb, 56gb

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
If you guys ever did want to start mailing people a copy, the simple answer is -- the person who wants the DVD burned for them sends a blank DVD to a certain address along with a SASE back to whereever they want it sent.

That way, no money is exchanged at all.  The game is just given away, as it is here on the internet.  As long as someone is willing to do the burning, it's simply a matter of receiving mail and then dropping it in the mailbox.  Doesn't violate the license.

DVD would have to be in a sturdy case to survive the trip. Other than that, no real objections.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Ive discovered some cd jewlcase inserts art work in the DVD extras.  They only need to be resized horizantaly/vertically inorder to actualy fit in a jewlcase. I did it myself and turned out real nice on photo paper; though, regular paper will do nicely, though not as thick.

The measurements I found that were required to fit in a jewlcase were.

Back: (WxH) 15.00x11.73cm
Front: (WxH) 12.11x12.02cm

DVD would have to be in a sturdy case to survive the trip. Other than that, no real objections.

Yeah, definitely.  But the person interested is sending not only the original mailer, but the return mailer as well, so it's up to them.  At a CVS or a Walgreens they always have envelopes that are yellow on the outside and have bubble-wrap on the inside.  That would probably work absent a dvd or jewel case, and keep the cost to just two or three stamps.
mb:  Asus A8AE-LE, athlon 64 3200+ 2ghz, 1024mb ram (2x512 pc3200), evga geforce 7600 gt 256mb gddr3 pci-e, hdd 142gb, 56gb

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Yeah, they should... I've received quite a few discs that way.

That's how they distributed the final Smashing Pumpkins CD when the record label wouldn't put it out during my junior year of college in 2000.  (I'm dating myself here).

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
So, hip63, when are you putting the BtRL demo on your DVD?  :p

Offline hip63

• The DVD Builder Guy
    • hip63's Groovy Galaxy
Yeah, when the new mediavps come out, we'll need a new installer & DVD so BtRL should make it, disk spacee withstanding.

hip63 :p
operator: "So what do you need? Besides a miracle. " hip63: "Games. Lots of Games. "
EVGA X58 Motherboard, Intel i7 920 @ 3.8 (OC) GHz Quad Core, Zalman Copper Cooler, 6GB OCZ DDR3 memory, EVGA Nvidia GTX275 (1.8gb mem onboard), 4x 1TB Western Digital SATA II Drives + 1 WD Velociraptor HDD (OS), DVD Drive, Zalman 1000w PSU, Antec Twelve Hundred Case, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Dell 2007WFP Widescreen Flat Panel Pure Gaming Evil Baby!