Author Topic: Freespace 2 Restarts Computer  (Read 1546 times)

Freespace 2 Restarts Computer
HI all,  after playing Freespace 2 before on a different computer I decided to give it another go now that I recently bought a Joystick.
But for some reason the game will suddenly restart my PC in the middle of a mission with no warning at all. This doesn't always happen but when it does it's usually at the end/ middle of a mission.

I have a
AMD Duron 750MHZ processor
32-Mbit Geforce 2 MX400
DirectX 8
and windows XP Profesional

I'm running the retail version of Freespace 2 and have ran it on a less powerful machine before and had it work fine. Any help would be appreciated

Also I know these are horrible specs but I 'm just not in a position to upgrade right now.

Offline Agent_Koopa

• These words make the page load that much slower.
Re: Freespace 2 Restarts Computer
GET SCP NOW NOW NOW NOW
Interestingly enough, this signature is none of the following:
A witty remark on whatever sad state of affairs the world may or may not be in
A series of localized forum in-jokes
A clever and self-referential comment on the nature of signatures themselves.

Hobo Queens are Crowned, but Hobo Kings are Found.

Offline Agent_Koopa

Oh, I believe we owe you a speech.

*insert power-up sounds*

Welcome to Hard-Light Productions, which for the purposes of this speech will be treated as a space station. The aforementioned space station has many, many exits, which are unfortunately blocked, except for that 4-dimensional one over there in the corner which no-one's figured out yet. The seats have flamethrowers under them for personal defence purposes, but due to security precautions are filled with holy water. Actual weapons are freely available, if your definition of "freely available" includes locked away where only admins, Volition (:v:), and a Hooloovoo can access. Thusly, avoid the ventilation ducts, where you will meet Carl, our Shivan. Don't bother him. Throw him your lunch if you encounter him and he might let you live. In case of catastrophic failure, try and drift over in the direction of Game-Warden, they'll welcome you there.

Don't mention anything about [whisper]a possible sequel to FreeSpace 2[/whisper]. That's about it, and enjoy your stay!

Whoo! Beam-kill number one!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 10:42:56 pm by Agent_Koopa »

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Double post?
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Yeah, get FS:SCP.  Link should be in my siggy.  (But thank Turey, not me.)

Offline Agent_Koopa

Double post?

Sorry about that. But I believe a speech gets its own post. And the first post was only one line...

Welcome to the source code project! I will give you the instructions.

You can do 2 things, do everything yourself, or use the installer, I prefer doeing everything myself actually.... goes faster, and is more fun.

The installer is here

If you want to do everything yourself, here are the instructions:
First, download the 3.6.9 FS2_Open files
Then, If you want the better graphics, download the 3.6.8 mediavps. Since your computer is well... not very up to date, I reccommend you to download only the core and music vps.
Extract the contents of the build zip to your main fs2 folder and the mediavps to the mediavps folder in your freespace 2 folder (create it).
Launch the launcher, and follow the instructions there, then go to the mod tab, and select mediavps...

Well, thats it! good luck!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
If you want to do everything yourself, here are the instructions:
First, download the 3.6.9 FS2_Open files
Then, If you want the better graphics, download the 3.6.8 mediavps. Since your computer is well... not very up to date, I reccommend you to download only the core and music vps.
Extract the contents of the build zip to your main fs2 folder and the mediavps to the mediavps folder in your freespace 2 folder (create it).
Launch the launcher, and follow the instructions there, then go to the mod tab, and select mediavps...

Well, thats it! good luck!

You missed out, come back to HLP and complain that is doesn't work cause I forgot to tell you to install OpenAL. :p

I've made that mistake before which is why I generally suggest Turey's installer for newbies until they know a little more about how FS2_Open works.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Thanks for the replies, I forgot to mention I did get SCP before yet it still happened. I only got the basic parts of it though and will try the core and music files and see if that does anything. I do think I found the problem apparently a error keeps happening in my bios, something about it trying to read from a illegal port and it's the same error every time it restarts on me. Thanks for the help anyway looks like I may just wait for when I get a better PC to try out freespace again.