Author Topic: EVE Online War  (Read 6381 times)

Offline DeepSpace9er

• Bakha bombers rule
  • Avoid the beam and you wont get hit
For all you EVE Onliners out there, there is a great war going on in the world of EVE against the largest player forces ever assembled. If you are involved say what side you are on and how the war is going, and any other thoughts on it.

I was on the RA/Goon/CA/Smash side but because of some political bs going on Smash withdrew from the war.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I've been keeping away from it in the main part to be honest, wars is good for profits, but being in an NPC corp means you get podded by either side ;)

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
im just ganking privateers, free war :)
I hate My signature!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Join WoR, Flip! :p

I care not. They don't come down to where I live so it doesn't matter.

Well, actually I do rather hope BoB gets its ass kicked, because, well, they're BoB. But if it's mutual annihilation that'd be cool too. Since so far as I can tell all alliances are basically run by overpromoted incompetent morons, or populated with incompetent morons, or both. The Goons are at least honest about it, which gets tact approval. (Plus they're amusing. I mean, you really can't ask for much more than not being bored to tears on a long gatecamp. Yes, I've worked with them before, back before the Swarm.)

The only ones I actually liked were ISS, who seemed to actually have a clear vision of what they wanted to do, and ASCN, because they had an amusing description. ISS lost its way and fell apart, ASCN got killed.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Haha, EVE sounds so neat...sadly I don't have the cash to pay a subscription, and I don't like the combat :(

Offline Zuljin

• Cake!
I never really got far in EVE. I'd get a new shiny ship, upgrade it, and then get blown to pieces on the next mission :P
Insurance helps, but the travelling back and forth to get the parts for the ship again wasn't that fun.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I'd really like to know more about this war.  Can you provide the political background, history, and current details of the conflict?  Scale?  It sounds absolutely fascinating, and I've wanted to learn more about EVE Online for a while. 

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT
Been doing some shooting but not much atm :)

Other then that i like ganking around abit :D
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
i want bob and goons to die in a fire.  to bad nobody is shooting both, except the privateers, but they can die in a fire too.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline miskat

I'm staying as far away as possible, holing myself up in Caldari space, working on missions in the meantime.

Not that I'e gotten far enough into EVE to do much in 0.0 anyway.

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT
Hehe, i want to see them burn also, first bob and LV then goons :)

Fought the goons when i was in D2 in cloudring at that time they were semi easy targest and allot of fun to shoot at in Assault frigates :D
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I'd really like to know more about this war.  Can you provide the political background, history, and current details of the conflict?  Scale?  It sounds absolutely fascinating, and I've wanted to learn more about EVE Online for a while. 

It starts with Band of Brothers. Nobody likes them, mainly because they come across as extremely arrogant bastards. Those outside BoB who are fighting for it are basically extensions of that alliance (the term I'd use is vassal; most either live in fear of BoB, actually live in BoB space, or are run by alts of people in BoB, like Mercenary Coalition). However they've gone pretty much undefeated during their existance in EVE. Then again, until they took on ASCN relatively recently they had never been seriously challenged either. BoB has basically been known to employ every dirty trick in the book, including those involving out of game activity, up to and including hacking other alliance's/corp's forums and conducting Denial of Service attacks on their websites. (Which amusingly they complained about when somebody hacked their forums.)

Then you have the Goons, who along with a crapload of other people heard BoB mouthing off on the forums about wardec'ing the world and decided that was one annoyance too many.. They're technically several corps in an alliance, but it's mainly Goonfleet, which was founded by members of the SomethingAwful forums and I think still requires SA membership to join. As might be expected from a bunch of folks from SA, they're generally a little insane. But they have ridiculous numbers, including supposedly the largest dreadnaught fleet in existence, and seeing only one Goon at a time is a bit like seeing a unicorn. The Goons probably have the technical know-how handy to resort to BoB-level dirty tricks stuff, but they prefer to get together about 150 ships and camp your home system or take your starbase instead. Or stealing all your stuff out from under your nose; people put on their tinfoil hats at the mention of The Mittani and the Goon Intelligence people. This conflict might be considered somewhat personal, since BoB once fought the Goons before, or tried to. (The Goons refused to fight, leading to Sir Molle's famous quote about "There are no goons." That has become one of Goonfleet's standard lines.)

The Goons are backed by/semi-part-of Red Alliance, which is the oldest Russian-based alliance and wins the most tenacious award for losing all their space and then just getting more somewhere else. (Against All Authorities is the younger Russian Alliance; they're fighting BoB too, but are not a part of the formal anti-BoB Coalition.)

The other major player is D2, Dusk and Dawn, which is a German-based alliance (YOUWHAT and several other alliances could be considered practical extensions of D2, being also majority German and holding similar views). They don't do anything special compared to the Goons, RA, or BoB, but they're large and have a lot of firepower. D2 has declared against BoB.

There are a good number of smaller alliances, but the majority are not of real consequence. Most of them however have declared for the Goons and RA.

BoB, perhaps with a swelled head after defeating ASCN, basically decided to take on the entire world. So far the only major casualities have been ISS, the Interstellar Starbase Syndicate (already on their way out, but finished off by the Knights of the Southern Cross; ISS no longer controls any space), and Lotka Volterra, which is getting murdered by the Goons (lost two starbases and a lot of other stuff; the current Goon joke is "rare footage of Lotka Volterra at this URL:" and then a blank). Both were BoB allies.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Are there epic fleet battles?  I sure love epic fleet battles.  Assaults on stations and stuff? 

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
yea, but with the numbers involved (200+ for each side), the server starts lagging a bit.  And by a bit i mean crashes.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
i want bob and goons to die in a fire.  to bad nobody is shooting both, except the privateers, but they can die in a fire too.

Azactly.
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Sounds awesome. EVE is one of the few games where you can get spontaneous wars breaking out among the players, without any prodding from the develops, and (I'm assuming) that they follow realistic political and economic patterns. Just the fact that one side withdrew for political reasons is astouning, implying that there is alot going on behind the scenes instead of the usual "kill 50 murlocks, rinse, repeat" treadmill.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Though I don't play this game, it's caught my attention from time to time.

It just worries me - how would a lone n00b privateer who just started out, survives when there's a war going on, and suddenly even the backwater systems are filled with political trouble. And out-of-game activity pretty much makes it worse... more reputation, more attention, more fans, more haters. But hey, an open-ended game it is.

In case it matters, I'm taking the developer's side of thinking, instead of a gamer's one... I know a game like EVE is very open and prodding might very well spoil the... "fun" (not to mention getting unwanted stuff knocking on your computer's door), but still. :doubt:

(please excuse my n00bness in the subject matter. :doubt:)
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
EvE sounds like loads of fun now.  I may let myself get addicted this summer.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline miskat

It IS fun.  And, to give that "new privateer" perspective, I'll talk a little about the newcomers scene.

When you start you'll be hit by a 4 hour tutorial (which is alright, cause it will give you money and stuff to start out) that will teach you everything you need to know.  Almost literally.  This is a MUST.  It's not like WoW which is so simple a 5 year old can play it to a certain extent.  There really is a lot going on.  It truly is a game of math, so if you're afraid to do number crunching (basic arithmetic) then it's probably not the best game for you.

Anyway... as was mentioned: how DOES that lone, new player exist in this game?  Especially with pirate corps camping gates and people with millions of skill points ready to pwn you from here to the next galaxy?

Easy: be careful!  Look before you jump, get to know your systems, carefully plan your ship loadout.  Stick in the safer, higher security, systems until you're REALLY ready to venture into lowsec.  Find a corp that will allow you to do what you like to do (mining, missions, pvp, hauling, trading, etc.) and will help protect you.  The map is so massive that, honestly, even with as big as the war is, it's easy to stay well away from.  Hell, I was Mito for awhile, and was alright, save for a pirate corp giving us problems.  (Now I'm, in The Citidel, which is considerably safer, I believe.)

Playing the game and getting good is just a matter of planning your skill training carefully and getting to know the ins and outs of your ship, your modules, your weapons, your skills, your tactics, your opponents, and your enviornment.  Seems like a lot, right?  It's not that bad.  I picked it up in a night.  It's a friggen blast, really.

And yes, there is a HUGE roleplay community, and even the non-roleplayers dive headfirst into their own intrigue and politics.  A very realistic game, IMO.

Offline Scuddie

• gb2/b/
  • I will never leave.
Ofcourse the catalyst for the War of New Eden was due to the final admission of some BoB members being CCP alts, and some blueprints were acquired (read: stolen) from the blueprint lottery.  So in a way, BoB was cheating.  The blueprint matter was just one of many allegations about CCP's involvement in BoB's success.  As of now, talk of the situation is not permitted.  That was said to be the straw that broke the camel's back...  Either that, or BoB claiming they would win EvE, by conquering all non-empire space.
Bunny stole my signature :(.

Sorry boobies.