Author Topic: Red Faction Sequel!  (Read 9366 times)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
As to Battlefield: Bad Company (thank you for letting us know what you're talking about Deep...): it looks pretty but jesus...another modern-day themed shooter? I have better things to spend money on (if I even had a 360).

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
As to Battlefield: Bad Company (thank you for letting us know what you're talking about Deep...): it looks pretty but jesus...another modern-day themed shooter? I have better things to spend money on (if I even had a 360).

oh THAT thing... geeze.. we need another modern day themed shooter like we need ANOTHER WW2 game.  i wouldn't expect much gameplay innovation (or lack therof) beyond "shoot first, shoot some more, and when everybody's dead, lob a grenade or six".

aka, yes it will look pretty, but again, deep, you're easily distracted by shiny objects.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

oh THAT thing... geeze.. we need another modern day themed shooter like we need ANOTHER WW2 game.  i wouldn't expect much gameplay innovation (or lack therof) beyond "shoot first, shoot some more, and when everybody's dead, lob a grenade or six".

aka, yes it will look pretty, but again, deep, you're easily distracted by shiny objects.

To be fair on DB, it's not a 360 exclusive.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté

To be fair on DB, it's not a 360 exclusive.

point, but since it's on the PS3 too, it might as well be a 360 exclusive  :p
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Harsh.

Offline Grawr

• Morituri Nolumus Mori.
The optimist sees a glass half full, the pessimist sees a glass half empty, and the engineer sees a glass twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
$50 it never makes it to PC.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline ZmaN

$50 it never makes it to PC.
I'm with you on that.
Well what do I do now?  Well Jack, you seem to have an act for blowing things up....

www.underoath777.com  <---  The BEST BAND EVER!

My Rig:
NZXT Apollo Case, with the insides painted black, and refinished side panels
Cooler Master Real Power Pro 750 watt PSU
Intel Xeon E3110 (e8400) OC'd to 3.6ghz
Xigmatek S1283 HDT Cooler
Biostar TPower I45 Motherboard
2 x 2GB's Crucial Ballistx DDR2-800 RAM
XFX Geforce 8800GTX GPU
Onboard sound
3 x 36GB Raptors in RAID 0
1 x Western Digital 640GB stand-alone

Matthew 1:1-2  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was with God in the beginning.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Now what I want to do is take that physics and geomodding engine and slap it onto a terrain engine like the one in Quake Wars.

Then make a game sort of like Magic Carpet, but being a wizard on foot and being able to do things such as tearing forests apart (and on fire) with meteor swarms.

Then steal a page from Dark Sun and have sides gain and lose power based on preserving or defilement ;) (i.e. preserver players start with more mana but it's harder to play as you need to use shielding spells to protect trees, villages, etc. they also need to be more careful in their offensive spells)

Couple this sort of physics engine with some good particle and shader effects and you could have in addition to the standard destruction too many arcane spells cause 'arcane corruption' as well. Nothing quite like a prestine forest becoming a sorched wasteland with charred tree trunks and strange wisps of magic everywhere...

Similarly tossing in liquid physics for use in water and things like magic shielding would be good, even low resolution liquid physics. (just imagine a sphere being distorted and pounded by the impact of incoming effects, and the goal isn't actually to dispell the shield 'damage points' wise, but to distort its shape enough for it to dispell)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 12:33:39 am by Ace »
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Halo 3 should have very nice liquid physics from what I've read. :)

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
Now what I want to do is take that physics and geomodding engine and slap it onto a terrain engine like the one in Quake Wars.

Then make a game sort of like Magic Carpet, but being a wizard on foot and being able to do things such as tearing forests apart (and on fire) with meteor swarms.

Then steal a page from Dark Sun and have sides gain and lose power based on preserving or defilement ;) (i.e. preserver players start with more mana but it's harder to play as you need to use shielding spells to protect trees, villages, etc. they also need to be more careful in their offensive spells)

Couple this sort of physics engine with some good particle and shader effects and you could have in addition to the standard destruction too many arcane spells cause 'arcane corruption' as well. Nothing quite like a prestine forest becoming a sorched wasteland with charred tree trunks and strange wisps of magic everywhere...

Similarly tossing in liquid physics for use in water and things like magic shielding would be good, even low resolution liquid physics. (just imagine a sphere being distorted and pounded by the impact of incoming effects, and the goal isn't actually to dispell the shield 'damage points' wise, but to distort its shape enough for it to dispell)
If hardware graphics had gone the way of the voxel this would be so easy to pull off... :(

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Yea, and would've looked ugly as hell :p

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
Halo 3 should have very nice liquid physics from what I've read. :)

"should" and "has" are two different things..  :P

by the way, if they refer to "fluid" physics, just be careful of the context, 'cuz it might mean that its physics engine is silky smooth.  ;)
   //Warning\\

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Specifically with reference to water. The last few updates have had sections dedicated to talking about progress made with the water in the game. For example, it flows around objects and has dynamic turbulence among other cool things.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
Specifically with reference to water. The last few updates have had sections dedicated to talking about progress made with the water in the game. For example, it flows around objects and has dynamic turbulence among other cool things.

i have to see a vid direct from bungie to believe it, or see the article myself citing a direct source from bungie, 'cuz as it is, i find it difficult to take you at your word. :)
   //Warning\\