Author Topic: Install  (Read 2999 times)

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
I am a Noob, so don't flame me, but i read that inferno is self sufficient, so why are there only VP files with INFA :confused:
     Thanks
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline neoterran

it's self sufficient of the mediavp files, not the fs2_open executable program. And why it's like that I don't know, it's a very bad idea, because mediavps is always being upgraded, while inferno and INFA are limited to the effects the author chose when the mod was released.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline Agent_Koopa

• These words make the page load that much slower.
Well, the effects chosen by the author are presumably chosen for a reason, are they not?
Interestingly enough, this signature is none of the following:
A witty remark on whatever sad state of affairs the world may or may not be in
A series of localized forum in-jokes
A clever and self-referential comment on the nature of signatures themselves.

Hobo Queens are Crowned, but Hobo Kings are Found.

Offline neoterran

there are often better effects that come along later. look at bob's beams as an example.
Chief Grognard.

Probably because there are some custom effects in Inferno that the Medias would interfere with or over-ride. The white beams the EA use, for instance. I don't believe the Medias would affect them?
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Because it was originally a *standalone* mod.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
INFA was designed to run as a mod of the standalone Inferno mod, it was then rebuilt to also run on regular FS Open. The next release of INFA will be standalone.

And why it's like that I don't know, it's a very bad idea, because mediavps is always being upgraded, while inferno and INFA are limited to the effects the author chose when the mod was released.
That's the point actually. The media vps change too much and if an effect is actually removed from them and is referenced in a custom weapon then that weapon won't work or you get chances of crashes. That means you have to change the weapons every time this occurs. Also it would get very boring if every custom campaign uses the exact same effects as each other as no new stuff would be made if you only use the media vp effects.
You also have chances of getting unwanted bugs and complaints like when someone didn't put a nocreate flag on a tbm for the Pegasus quite some time ago, or the black boxes problem as many still don't seem to get the latest patch for 3.6.9. Also some useful files are in that high res pack which causes systems to slow down to a crawl, and you can get animated glowmaps for some textures and not for others.

I prefer to have direct control over every file that the mod needs to load, that way its easier to patch and update when there are any problems.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project

Welcome to the HLPBB...and welcome to the Inferno Night Cafè,colecampbell!
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline neoterran

INFA was designed to run as a mod of the standalone Inferno mod, it was then rebuilt to also run on regular FS Open. The next release of INFA will be standalone.

And why it's like that I don't know, it's a very bad idea, because mediavps is always being upgraded, while inferno and INFA are limited to the effects the author chose when the mod was released.
That's the point actually. The media vps change too much and if an effect is actually removed from them and is referenced in a custom weapon then that weapon won't work or you get chances of crashes. That means you have to change the weapons every time this occurs. Also it would get very boring if every custom campaign uses the exact same effects as each other as no new stuff would be made if you only use the media vp effects.
You also have chances of getting unwanted bugs and complaints like when someone didn't put a nocreate flag on a tbm for the Pegasus quite some time ago, or the black boxes problem as many still don't seem to get the latest patch for 3.6.9. Also some useful files are in that high res pack which causes systems to slow down to a crawl, and you can get animated glowmaps for some textures and not for others.

I prefer to have direct control over every file that the mod needs to load, that way its easier to patch and update when there are any problems.

Uh, the problem with this approach is 1.) crashes happen anyway. It's not like Inferno was immune to changes in the .exe over the years. 2.) Having different effects for things like explosions in one campaign (INFA) versus ALL the others is very disorienting and begs the question..."why ??? "
Chief Grognard.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
1. No, but I don't have to factor those VPs into the crashes, and it makes our mod more universal, as long as a build has the requires sexps and features, it'll run the mod. The media vps are more limited with that, new ones don't work right with older builds which our mods would work on.

2. Our stuff is standalone and near a total conversion, it doesn't matter what other FS2 campaigns use, as I really don't care what they do use. The attitute of 'you must use this because everyone else has to use it' is silly IMO. If I want to use different stuff then I will do so.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Thanks for the help.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.