Author Topic: How to set up PXO multiplayer  (Read 1704 times)

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
How to set up PXO multiplayer
As you may or may not know, Taylor has ported PXO back to retail FS2.  If you want to get started playing and testing, here's instructions.
  • Download the builds from https://pxo.nottheeye.com/files/test/freespace2_rel.zip (release) or https://pxo.nottheeye.com/files/test/freespace2_dbg.zip (debug).
  • Extract them to a new folder (do not use your existing FS2 installation) and copy the retail VPs to that folder.
  • Download FUBAR's multiplayer mission and voice pack and extract them to the same folder.  If you have a limited internet connection, you can download just the missions here (7z file) or here (larger zip file)
  • Register an account at https://pxo.nottheeye.com/ and you will be given game credentials.
  • Run the launcher, freespace2.exe, and in the PXO tab enter the credentials you were given.  Note that this is different from email/password combo you used to register for PXO.
  • After setting whatever else you want to change, you can launch the game either from the launcher or by running fs2.exe.
  • Currently there's one or two servers constantly running, one in Germany and one in Texas (USA).
  • To set up a match, join HLP's Discord server (if you haven't already, and if not why not?).  Go to the #pxo channel and ping the @multi group and wait for responses.  If you plan on playing often, ask MageKing17 to add you to the multi group so that you too can be notified when someone wants to play.
Note that it is retail-only, so don't expect the MediaVPs or any mods.  The good news is that you can play on pretty much any computer.
Have fun!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 08:08:48 pm by PIe »
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: How to set up PXO multiplayer
If you plan on playing often, ask MageKing17 to add you to the multi group so that you too can be notified when someone wants to play.
And if I'm not awake, any moderator can grant people roles.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Which launcher do I need to enter the credentials into? Is it the wxLauncher 0.12.0-rc3 or the FS2 Open Launcher 5.5d? Or something else?

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Which launcher do I need to enter the credentials into? Is it the wxLauncher 0.12.0-rc3 or the FS2 Open Launcher 5.5d? Or something else?

The retail launcher, because this here is only based upon retail FS2.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.

Responsible for the german translation project FreiRaum - FreeSpace auf Deutsch.
Also responsible for the Nova Upgrade Project, which upgrades and fix older campaigns to make them play- and solveable again with current builds and MediaVPs.

Release List:
German Translations:
Awakenings, Between the Ashes 1, Deneb III, FreeSpace 2 (in development), FreeSpace Port, Silent Threat: Reborn & The Destiny of Peace

Nova Upgrades:
A Walk in the Sun, Into the Halls of Valhalla, Luyten Civil War, Renegade Resurgence, Revenge: Final Conflict (in development), Rogues!, Shadow Genesis (de-facto), Storm Front Saga, The Deuterium Connection, Venice Mirror & What If: Another Great War

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
Just use the included launcher (I forget if it's fs2.exe or freespace.exe).
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker
    • My old squad sub-domain

Yeah it's literally all in the 1st post buddy.
Your friendly Orestes tactical controller
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

That I have to use the included launcher is what had to be mentioned. Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 07:19:13 am by DrakonAlpha »

Getting multiplayer mode work for FreeSpace 2 ist far to difficult.