Author Topic: So.. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. ships....  (Read 4907 times)

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
So.. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. ships....
Anyone pick it up yet?  Anyone have any ideas on it?  It's kinda hard to base anything off of this without seeing a playable demo first.  Many people, myself included, thought that this would be the last best hope for a decent FPS that's not also released side-by-side a console game. (Meaning, a richer, PC-Centric release, not something that'd been dumbed down for X-Box like controls (Timeshift, Deus Ex:Invisible War))  Reviews of it have been pretty promising, but yet it's also been one of those hyped titles which underwent two-three years of delays...  Has anyone here picked it up by chance? 

At least it's pretty reasonable for a release, 39.99 at gamestop, not like what I bent over backwards for Final Fantasy 12, or *shudder* Half Life 2 Collectors Ed. 

Offline neoterran

Re: So.. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. ships....
the ship sailed on that game a long time ago. It would have been great if it had come out in 2004.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Most of the opinions I'm seeing on AT are very negative. The game is apparently quite boring and also has serious bugs and performance problems (although the latter can be said about any game these days). Wait for a patch or two if you want to get it.

Most of the opinions I'm seeing on AT are very negative. The game is apparently quite boring and also has serious bugs and performance problems (although the latter can be said about any game these days). Wait for a patch or two if you want to get it.

I'd love to find somewhere that is giving STALKER bad reviews, since the game is averaging 85% over on gamerankings.
tianjun1298 > Your this only the fine insect which escapes from the condom

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I'm referring to some of the comments here. I don't know what the game is actually like, but I would easily take user opinions over the hype-driven pro reviews we get these days.

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
preformance bugs .... you got it!

5 FPS with minimal setings on my mid / high range machine ..... whaaaaaaa?

and a friend with a much older weaker averages 50 on med ..... whaaaaaaaaaaaa?!
I hate My signature!

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
*sigh*
Stalker's gone the way of Daikatana, I fear.  Two years too late.  Well, I'll be waiting for the demo, or pick it up when it goes sub 20 bucks.  Games like this are slowly becoming less important to me these days.  I'm still stoked as hell for BioShock, but other than that, I'm not really interested.  I'd rather upgrade my PC and get Vista on it so I can get ahead on how to run it and fix it when it breaks.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Stalker still looks and sounds very interesting to me, and the general review opinion is that it's very good.  But it wouldn't run on my PC.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
I don't expect much, but I think it's worth getting. On the other hand, I am a simple minded creature, and easily entertained...
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

It's a pretty good game.  Got some issues, and running with shadows on requires a pretty good rig.

Not perfect, plenty of little unpleasant bits, some which will likely be patched, others which are just not so happy game design decisions.  But it's worth the $40.

Wonder how moddable it is.  This game is practically screaming for a fallout mod, assuming a bunch of extra depth can be added to it.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Buggy...nothing major for me but it annoying ot get quest messages almsot random (I got a reward for onw quest 3 times ...LOL)

Not bad, but there's something mising  - can't quite put my finger on it. Uninstalled it..
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline diceman111

• Keep on playing Glottis, keep on playing.....
Had a really annoying bug with savegames but got around it, dont know my FPS but it never lagged and I used maximum detail, dynamic ligthning and everything at 1280x1024(Native for my monitor) and it looked really good, the worst part of it all however was the ending BLAH is all I have to say, apperantly however there is several endings so I might have to go back and replay the last part of it.

Otherwise a pretty good game, maybe not as good as the HYPE wanted it to be but still worth the time playing it
Flames Of War Chapter III - http://web.comhem.se/~u35702611

"If at first you don't succeed try a bigger thermonuclear weapon" - My philosophy on life

"I dont care if we smack it into her or smack it out of her just aslong as there's smacking invovled" - Max from Sam & Max Situation Comedy

I live in Sweden and before anybody ask NO we do not have polar bears walking on our streets thats Norway, we have penguins (Red ones with blue dots)

(These messages was brought to you by the people from DFWD (Diceman For World Domination))

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
I think the long production time broke the story... Amnesia? C'mon, that's like, so old... And the game area is surrounded by an impassable barbed wire, another reminder from the past.

Overall. Disappoinments and bugs. But it's still a fun game! One can oly wish it's patched quickly...
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Offline MarkN

What do you want the playable area surrounded by? nothingness? An invisible barrier? Unpassable barbed wire is far better than that.
As for amnesia, it solves a lot of problems, such as the Morrowind 'You have a past but it has no effect on gameplay' problem.

On the other hand, I personally get rather fed up with the 'evil astral forces in Sci-Fi' concept

It's good. But it's not an first person RPG, by any stretch. It's an FPS with very few RPG elements and a non-existent narrative, but it does allow you to do almost anything you want within the confines of the game straight away. The environments may be bland, but the horror factor of having a cloaked bloodsucker approaching in the pitch dark with only a flashlight and a rifle more than makes up for that. It's worth 75/100 on my scale, but there just isn't that much to do to make it worthy of a higher score; you could probably get through the critical missions in about 8 hours.

Oh, performance isn't a problem for me - and I've got a 128MB X700M and a Turion ML-37 in my laptop. Granted it's set on static lighting with 0 shadowing, but framerates never dip below 40.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Amnesia might solve a lot of problems. But is the uncreative and easy way in. Simply because it's overused.

I would prefer anything else than a barbed wire. Why not a high wall build by the military? Cliffs perhaps? Radioactive wasteland? Swamp? Some things in the game are pretty interesting/well thought. But sometimes it feels creativity drowned in a bottle of vodka.

The game was hyped a lot. And when things were cut off (a lot was dropped) the resulting game doesn't feel solid. But as our sadistic friend here said, it still has its moments.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Personaly I find the game to be a nice one. I hope the poping up out of nowhere dogs and badits get patched. I have even seen a dog appearing in the air just when I killed the last one and again I was surrounded by dogs. Thats currently my only problem with the game.
The RPG elements are a nice have and I like the graphical style. Might be overrated but still fun to play. The beginning is different from the just "charge and shoot" most FPS have and I like that.
I think the major problem is that they couldn't decide to make a FPS or a RPG and so ended up with something between that isn't that good at both parts.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Gotta bump this. I finally started playing the game on my pretty low-end rig (P4 2.3 Ghz single core, 512 MB RAM, Geforce 6200), and it's definitely worth the $40 I spent for it. I have to run it in a window due to a glitch with the 6200 that causes artifacting in the sky, but otherwise, it's a top notch game. Now, note that I'm playing with the patch, which fixed a lot of complaints people had. The AI is pretty astounding - I've had instances where I'll be fighting one or two guys, then another guy will sneak up from behind while his buddy's distracting me, and pop me in the rear. And when I say sneak, I mean it - the AI actually will move silently to get around behind you, and wait until they're just  near you before opening fire. Other times, if you fire at an enemy from behind an obstacle, then sneak away without them seeing you, the first place they'll look is where they last saw you. Other times, however, the AI can be pretty brain dead - clustering in groups and pointing their guns at the sky. These instances are more often the exception than the rule, however, and it doesn't detract from gameplay at all.

One memorable moment (creepiest video game moment ever, I've been telling everyone), is I had just gotten into a fierce gunfight with a gang of bandits. It should be noted that gunfights in this game are very alive and intense - you sprint from cover to cover, trying to pull a bead on your target, while bullet strikes kick up dust and debris all around you. The AI will actually act as a group and outflank you, while you have to run to counter that. Anyway, I put several of them down, and with the aid of my fellow stalkers, managed to win the day. I went off to go exploring (got a nice artifact!), and came back about twenty minutes later. Not only were the dead bodies still there, but lo and behold, I find that one of the game's creatures is EATING one of the people I had just killed! I stop and stare at it for a few minutes, not believing my eyes (even took out my binoculars to check that it was really doing it - it was). These creatures I've come to realize as being hostile, so I didn't approach it too closely. I tried to go around it to get to the door, but as soon as I did, another bandit saw me and opened fire. I retreated to cover, and turned only to see that the creature that had just been feasting, had heard the gunshots and bolted from the area! So now I was pinned down inside of a large walled compound - the enemy knew I was near the front, so I darted across the gate opening to the other wall, and tried to find another way out. Reaching a hole, I jumped out of it and landed on the opposite side. Bolting out to the side, I ran all the way out around the field and into a large ditch with some construction machinery. I crouch-walked through the ditch and went all the way around the back of the bandits, then proceeded to launch a surprise attack on their flanks. I managed to kill all of them after another invigorating gun battle, and progressed onto the next level.

If THAT'S not immersion, I dunno what is.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
If THAT'S not immersion, I dunno what is.
:doubt:
But when looting corpses the enemies you just killed respawn behind your back and cause an infinite battle.
Artifacts were supposed to be rare and useful. But some areas are just filled with them, and majority are useless. Sure you get money when you sell them. But there is no use for the money. Merchants have poor inventory and everything can be looted from enemies.
Heavily restriced playing area is an enormous disappointment considering the hype.
And the story is just... Correction, there is no story. Just an excuse to wander around.

I agree that AI is good. I especially like how the AI dudes execute any wounded after the battle. :drevil:
STALKERs play some good tunes at campfires. Lightning storms are amazing (I always get the urge to find shelter and just sit and watch, like I do in real life). Anomalies are always fun to walk in to, but should be fewer and more dangerous. And indoors are very well done.

I dare to say that the game feels unfinished. The Zone (having realistic counterpart) is an interesting place. But the lack of interesting story and small area to explore just feels like a crime.

It's generally an okay game, but the disappointments are so big that it just leaves a bad taste.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I haven't actually had the respawn thing happen to me - at least not in an unbelievable manner. When I kill everyone, the battle is pretty much finished, and I'm free to loot corpses.
Artifacts can be useless, but other times can be quite helpful. Equipping three Sparkler artifacts makes your stamina go way up, and it's much easier to run for long distances.
The merchant and trading screens I don't like though - not enough gear to be bought, when I can just go out and pick off a random guy and get it from him - I agree with you on that.
The restricted playing area...it's decent. You have a large enough expanse to wander around in, but it's small enough that it'll funnel you to the next part of the game.

I didn't follow the hype, so I guess I'm taking it at face value - and what I'm seeing I really do like :)