Author Topic: High-Res Glory!!!  (Read 18259 times)

Here are a few more shots.  Everything here is from Derelict, which is glorious so far.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mb:  Asus A8AE-LE, athlon 64 3200+ 2ghz, 1024mb ram (2x512 pc3200), evga geforce 7600 gt 256mb gddr3 pci-e, hdd 142gb, 56gb

Offline diceman111

• Keep on playing Glottis, keep on playing.....
Just a question have you downloaded any special media vps or soemthing cause my FS dosnet look this good .....

And since I have a faster computer then you I thin kI should be able to run atleast the same graphics you have
Flames Of War Chapter III - http://web.comhem.se/~u35702611

"If at first you don't succeed try a bigger thermonuclear weapon" - My philosophy on life

"I dont care if we smack it into her or smack it out of her just aslong as there's smacking invovled" - Max from Sam & Max Situation Comedy

I live in Sweden and before anybody ask NO we do not have polar bears walking on our streets thats Norway, we have penguins (Red ones with blue dots)

(These messages was brought to you by the people from DFWD (Diceman For World Domination))

Offline chaotic

Then activate both Derelict and this new mod by adding command line options

-mod Derelict,FS2_Lightspeed,mediavps

Hmm I thought this is managed through Derelict's mod.ini ("secondrylist = FS2_Lightspeed,mediavps ;") or am I wrong?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
It can be managed both ways; if there is mod.ini with those settings, then you don't need the commandline of the same thing.

Just a question have you downloaded any special media vps or soemthing cause my FS dosnet look this good .....

And since I have a faster computer then you I thin kI should be able to run atleast the same graphics you have

a) what kind of graphics card (make/model/memory)
b) how much RAM?

For a very detailed discussion of how I got set up to where I am, check out the 'Performance Impact' thread that I had started a few weeks ago right after I installed my video card.

Do you have all of the settings up in Freespace, itself?  What is your command line?  And last, what settings do you have setup in your video card's control panel?  I'm running at 8xS AA and 16x AF.  If your settings are lower, your screens will look different.  You probably can get very good results if you just tinker with it long enough.

For me, that was half the fun of this game!
mb:  Asus A8AE-LE, athlon 64 3200+ 2ghz, 1024mb ram (2x512 pc3200), evga geforce 7600 gt 256mb gddr3 pci-e, hdd 142gb, 56gb

Offline mnftg64

I changed my video card to match, I havn't tried it yet, I was wondering what I need in my command line.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I have much similar system - same CPU, but I have 1024 MB RAM and my GeForce 7600 GT is (supposedly) from XFX's XXX range of products, and I'm using it clocked to 720/1750 MHz for core/memory (versus default clocks of 650/1600 MHz versus the stock 7600 GT clocks of 560/1400 MHz...).

My settings for FS2_Open are:

1280x1024@32bit resolution

cmdline: fs2_open_3_6_9.exe -spec -glow -env -jpgtga -mipmap -nomotiondebris -2d_poof -missile_lighting -img2dds -no_vsync -cache_bitmaps -dualscanlines -targetinfo -orbradar -rearm_timer -ship_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -snd_preload -alpha_env -voicer -fps  -ambient_factor 0 -no_emissive_light -fov 0.55 -spec_exp 16.7 -spec_point 0.6 -spec_static 0.9 -spec_tube 1 -mod mediavp368zeta

8xS AA
16xAF set from the Launcher
Trilinear mip mapping set from Launcher
All settings maxed in NVidia Control Panel; visual quality set to High Quality etc. etc.

Vertical synchronization disabled from the launcher, but enabled on the NVidia Control Panel; that makes the game run faster while keeping the framerates from causing page tearing.

Running with MediaVP 3.6.8 zetas with adveffects enabled.

For most of the time I'm running happily at over 60 FPS. The least FPS I've seen has been in Axem's Just Another Day's Disco Inferno mission, where there is a gargantual particle spewing explosion cluster, it dropped the FPS to <19 with the screen full of explosions...

As has been already stated, the biggest impact to performance is AA and AF levels from drivers, and at least with my card, specifically the AA setting. Changing the setting from 8xS AA to 4xAA improves the frame rates greatly without sacrificing much visual quality. AF setting can be kept maxed out rather safely.

Most likely the biggest thing affecting your system's performance is the rather low amount of system RAM. Many textures are rather big in MediaVP's, and that can cause slowdowns especially on explosions.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Scratch the -mod part if you use mod.ini and your mediavps are in the mediavps directory.

C:\Games\Freespace2\fs2_open_3_6_9.exe -mod derelict,mediavps -spec -glow -env -jpgtga -mipmap -2d_poof -noscalevid -missile_lighting -no_vsync -cache_bitmaps -dualscanlines -targetinfo -orbradar -rearm_timer -3dwarp -warp_flash -snd_preload -alpha_env  -spec_exp 16.7 -spec_point 0.6 -spec_static 0.9 -spec_tube 1.0 -ambient_factor 50 -ogl_spec 80 -fov 0.675

That's what I've got my command line set at.

Offline diceman111

It can be managed both ways; if there is mod.ini with those settings, then you don't need the commandline of the same thing.

a) what kind of graphics card (make/model/memory)
b) how much RAM?

a) Geforce 7950GX2 1GB
b) 2GB Corsair DDR2 800Mhz

Core2Duo 6600
Asus P5B Deluxe
4x320GB Seagate drives (Will most likely kame this into one or two raid clusters)

"If at first you don't succeed try a bigger thermonuclear weapon" - My philosophy on life

"I dont care if we smack it into her or smack it out of her just aslong as there's smacking invovled" - Max from Sam & Max Situation Comedy

I live in Sweden and before anybody ask NO we do not have polar bears walking on our streets thats Norway, we have penguins (Red ones with blue dots)

(These messages was brought to you by the people from DFWD (Diceman For World Domination))

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
So your system should produce results equal to or greater than fsphiladelphia's... it must be your settings.  Have you tried the command line options he posted?  Also, for the backgrounds, you need LightSpeed's Nebulae, and I think maybe a few others... also, IIRC there are some HTL ships that aren't packed into the mediavps that must be downloaded separately until they are packaged...

So your system should produce results equal to or greater than fsphiladelphia's... it must be your settings.  Have you tried the command line options he posted?  Also, for the backgrounds, you need LightSpeed's Nebulae, and I think maybe a few others... also, IIRC there are some HTL ships that aren't packed into the mediavps that must be downloaded separately until they are packaged...

Which ships, where do you get them, and is it simply a matter of unzipping them to a certain directory or does it require editing of a table or mod.ini, or the command line?  Because I haven't downloaded any ships yet, but of course, I'm always going for the best graphical setup...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Aargh, I don't have them, but I've heard of them... I just wait for the next mediavps and hope that no ships accidentally get left out... there should be an admin-only (read-only for the rest of us) thread where they put links to these types of things when they come out, no discussion, just a list that the admins can put stuff in, so they know where to get them from / who to contact when it's time to compile a mediavp set...

Offline diceman111

Ok well I have done some tinkering and this is how I got it:

Also just a note it might be better when you are forcing the program to use Anti Aliasing to make it so that you only do it for the freespace .exe and not for all games since this can cause problems with other games.

Thx now I will go and tweak it to make it look even prettier and see how ThrashMans new models for the Flams Of War Chapter III campaign looks.

/Dice

Offline mnftg64

Ok, I figured it out. To put it bluntly for those wondering, you must have the derelict mod in your command line. Will these HTL models eventully be included so that derelict doesn't have to be selected or is there a way I can extract them to be able to use them without enabling derelict. The reason I ask is because the derelict mod overides some of the effects I have downloaded and like such as the new subspace warp.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 11:33:22 am by mnftg64 »

I'm using Derelict and the new subspace graphics.
Ok well I have done some tinkering and this is how I got it:

/Dice

Not bad.  You could probably increase the AA, but otherwise it's looking good.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Does your derelict mod.ini point to the mediavps?

Offline diceman111

Does your derelict mod.ini point to the mediavps?

Yepp and as for the AA its on MAX

Well, very sadly ( :() something got screwed up with my player file about 90% of the way through Derelict, and with it went all my stats.

So, in tribute to my pilot, Lieutenant Kevdog, triple ace, here are some of the last shots I took as a space tourist/fighter pilot in the Derelict campaign:

----------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
i just hit big money. 200 bucks! buying a gfx card like your now! *prepares to post screenshots*