Author Topic: Where do I download  (Read 4088 times)

Offline spzattk

Sorry for the dumb question, but I want to make sure I'm downloading the right file. What should I install to play inferno? The inferno alliance or R1? I'm not sure if there are two parts or not. I was going to install from the link, is this a good one to install, or is there a better one? I've never played inferno before, but it's the best looking mod I've seen.

http://www.cnet.com.au/downloads/0,239030384,10301150s,00.htm

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Get these for INFR1: (INF:A, I would use the Installer link in my siggy to get that... tomorrow, when the bandwidth overrun is lifted.)
Inferno Release 1
(Install to FreeSpace2\InfernoR1)
Inferno
 Release 1 SCP patch

(Install to the same directory as above)

I would also recommend getting the following campaign, and playing it after you finish INFR1: (put it in another directory, eg FreeSpace2\SolarWars) - when you want to use it, select it as a MOD in the Launcher, same as you would for Inferno.
Solar Wars

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Inferno Release 1 is completely different from Alliance. Install them to two different mod directories.

For INFR1, download from the main site at
http://inferno.hard-light.net/R1.htm
You only need to download one of the single files and the SCP patch.

For INFA, download from the main site at
http://inferno.hard-light.net/SOL
You need to download Alliance Core, Music Files, Inferno Core, Inferno Effects. If you want you can download the HTL Pack.

Crap, JR beat me to it, with links. ;)

Hey, wait a sec, shouldn't you should put Solar Wars in the same directory as INFR1, since it uses some of the models (don't count me on this just yet, I'm not sure myself)?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 05:40:37 pm by Snail »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Don't forget the SCP Patch for R1!  He needs that too, unless he's playing retail..

Offline spzattk

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate it. One last question. Are the voices in the game supposed to sound like the voices like that in freespace2, or are they supposed to sound like the robot voice. I'm fine either way, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Thanks again, it's a great mod.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Uh... There are no voices in R1 or Alliance, unless you use Microsoft Sam...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
MS Sam is the "robot voice", he can read text, he does so when there are no voice files available for a campaign, unless you shut him off in the Launcher.

Offline spzattk

How many chapters are supposed to be in InfernoR1? It says there are four chapters with at least 15 missions, but it says the campaign is over with only chapter one. The last mission ended with the gigas comming in, but in the tech room I noticed there were many other ships. Are the other chapters still being made, or was I supposed to install something else?

Offline neoterran

If inferno is the best mod you've seen you haven't looked very far.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline Snail

• SC 5
How many chapters are supposed to be in InfernoR1? It says there are four chapters with at least 15 missions, but it says the campaign is over with only chapter one. The last mission ended with the gigas comming in, but in the tech room I noticed there were many other ships. Are the other chapters still being made, or was I supposed to install something else?

No, there is a complete revamp of Inferno Release 1 in progress, Inferno SCP. R1 is very old and is outdated now. There are much better things out there.

If inferno is the best mod you've seen you haven't looked very far.

Despite being a super fanboy of Inferno, I agree...

Inferno R1 is several years old. The story was planned to continue, but they decided to scrap it and rework the R1 plot. INF SCP is now being worked on, and should be released... I don't know when. Several months at least.
In the meantime, you might try out Inferno Alliance, taking place in Sol fifteen years after the Lucy's destruction.

EDIT: Ack! Snail beat me to it!  :D
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Snail

• SC 5
By the way, PLACE INFERNO ALLIANCE IN A DIFFERENT MOD DIRECTORY

Many newbies get mixed up because they put R1 in the same directory as Alliance, watch out for that.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Hey, wait a sec, shouldn't you should put Solar Wars in the same directory as INFR1, since it uses some of the models (don't count me on this just yet, I'm not sure myself)?
Nah, the mod.ini for SCP-ified Solar Wars loads INF R1, and INF R1 SCP-ified mod.ini loads mediavps... This way, you don't have to move Solar Wars to play Inferno R1... but I haven't checked, both may work with Solar Wars in the same dir as INF R1, I dunno.  I do know it works with them each in different directories.