Author Topic: Are there private servers for FreeSpace: Great War (FS1)?  (Read 8054 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: Are there private servers for FreeSpace: Great War (FS1)?
I don't think that MP FS1 would be very good at all as practically no one would be on.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
There's no good reason you can't play with the port online. The only problem is that you have even less chance of encountering someone to play with than if you were playing FS2.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
There's no good reason you can't play with the port online. The only problem is that you have even less chance of encountering someone to play with than if you were playing FS2.

Actually, now that I think about it, I believe I have played multi with the FSPort. I think it was with Shivan, to test his "Art of War" mission.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Hmm, are there any stand-alone servers going 24/7 with missions that ppl can just join?  I'm thinking like in Halo, some of the servers listed are just standalone, so ppl can join them whenever, without having to host.  This might help, as the odds of more than one person wanting to play at the same time are I think OK (I believe most ppl check to see if someone's online, if no one is, they don't bother), whereas the odds of someone being willing and able and actually hosting a multiplayer game at the same time as someone else wanting to play aren't.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The only thing preventing anyone from playing multiplayer using the Port is finding someone to play with.  Galemp and I have played multiplayer Port missions several times.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Hmm, right, but my point was, to play with someone, you have to make a server, right?  Not everyone knows how to do that.  (I don't... then again, maybe I did once... I tried, but no-one connected, and I know there was someone trying to.  IDK whether the problem was his or mine.  I have a cable modem whose config I can't access... stupid ISP.  :mad:

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Hmm, right, but my point was, to play with someone, you have to make a server, right?  Not everyone knows how to do that.  (I don't... then again, maybe I did once... I tried, but no-one connected, and I know there was someone trying to.  IDK whether the problem was his or mine.  I have a cable modem whose config I can't access... stupid ISP.  :mad:

The cable modem shouldn't block ports, but just so you know, if it's a Motorola Surfboard modem, http//192.168.100.1/ may come in handy.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Doesn't work... (Toshiba PCX2600) problem is prolly my Motorola WR850G Wireless Router, but >hurray!< I just found this site, which has no-brainer explaination of how to set up port forwarding etc etc for a ton of routers:
http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

Now, my only question is, instead of using a static IP, I can use DynDNS, right?  I already have DynDNS set up, so if that will work then great; I'll prolly try sometime tomorrow.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Dynamic DNS shouldn't have any effect on FS2_Open since your PC is being found by its IP address not its domain name.

If you mean you want to use DHCP and still forward ports then the most sensible thing to do is to also set up a reservation for your PC's MAC address on your router to tie you to a specific IP Address.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
If you mean you want to use DHCP and still forward ports then the most sensible thing to do is to also set up a reservation for your PC's MAC address on your router to tie you to a specific IP Address.

What would that be under (what would be the technical name for that, eg Port Forwarding, DNS Proxy, Port Trigger, Virtual Server...) <-- I have only a very foggy notion of what those do, which irritates me... kara, me wants a FAQ... :D  j/k; but if you know of a good, sensible (logically explained) walkthrough or FAQ for that kind of stuff, I'd appreciate it.

EDIT: BTW, AFAIK, DynDNS freely assigns me an external, static IP of 24 / 92 - 40 + 53 (replace math symbols with dots).
See here: http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 11:06:02 am by jr2 »

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
EDIT: BTW, AFAIK, DynDNS freely assigns me an external, static IP of 24 / 92 - 40 + 53 (replace math symbols with dots).
See here: http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/

Yes. However, the router forwards ports based on the INTERNAL static IP addy. It's usually in the form of 192.168.***.***
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Is that the one that I use to get to the router setup?  If not, which is it?  I know how to get a bunch of info by typing ipconfig /all...

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Is that the one that I use to get to the router setup?  If not, which is it?  I know how to get a bunch of info by typing ipconfig /all...

if you just type ipconfig, look for the default gateway, and put that number in the browser, it should work.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
thx.

EDIT:

Okay, I finally have a decent understanding of what's what, and I have configured an internal (for my network) static IP address.  This page helped alot:

http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

Thx for the help there, Turey... I was confusing an external IP address with an internal one.  n00b mistake.  (I know somewhat about computers, but networks are my sore spot.)

EDIT: Merged post to get rid of double post. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 05:14:16 pm by jr2 »