Author Topic: Player file(s) corrupted? HELP!!!!!  (Read 4012 times)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Re: Player file(s) corrupted? HELP!!!!!
You guys going to keep confusing this poor fellow? :P

There are two possible ways to get around this, one easy, one hard.

In your player\single\ folder, you will find the campaign progress files you've already mentioned.  Generally in my experience, these don't get corrupted, the pilot file does.  A way around this is to copy the contents of the single folder to another location.  Now delete your pilot file and the derelict campaign file in the player\single folder.  Load the game, and create a new pilot with exactly the same name as the one you've just deleted.  Go into the game and configure the options, then exit FS2.  Now, copy the Derelict campaign file from the backup of your single folder into the actual single folder (where you prviously deleted it; this may overwrite a new copy, that's fine).  Now load up the game again and see if you can resume where you left off.

What this trick does is fool the game into accepting an old campaign progress file with a bran new pilot file - it associates them directly with pilot name, so if the pilot name is the same it will typically accept the campaign file.  I use this frequently - I keep a backup of a basic uncorrupted pilot file.  If it gets corrupted, I simply copy it into my single folder over the existing pilot.  Generally this eliminates the corruption and preserves campaign progress.

Now,if this doesn't work (and it may not), some benevolent soul can probably create you a new temporary campaign file (which goes in the data\missions folder) from where you left off.  Try the other trick first.  If it doesn't work,post here again and I'll fire up FRED (if someone else doesn't before me) and create you a temporary campaign file.  I think I have an extracted copy of the Derelict.fc2 file lying around.  The only thing I may have difficultly preserving is the ships/weapons which are available (i.e. you may be able to select everything unless I can figure that out).
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
:eek:  Wow!  If I'd known that... this will be extremely useful... I might actually be able to resume progress on my Derelict campaign where I left off!  Woot!  But that computer's down right now... oh, well, I'll get to it later.  fsphiladelphia, does this work for you?

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Furthermore, since I'm a nice guy (and I'm avoiding studying abnormal psychology at the moment) I created a campaign file from where you last left off.

Keep in mind - this won't preserve your previous progress, it just allows you to resume from where you left off.  Ideally, try my first solution above before you use this one.

Attached is an fc2 file.  Place this in your derelict\data\missions folder (create it if necessary).  When you start FSOpen, select your pilot, then go into the campaign room.  You should see Derelict, and Derelict-Final.  Derelict-Final is the set of missions you haven't yet played.  Click on it, and click select.

Now, when you enter the ready room, it will take you straight to the next mission after the Gorgon Cannon.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Thank you so much for all the info, and for the fc2 file.  I won't get a chance to test this out until tomorrow afternoon, but I am really thankful.  While the loss of stats/ranking is annoying, I really wanted to find out what happens next in Derelict.  Now it looks like I'll be able to, tomorrow!  Thanks.  And thanks to everyone else who offered their assistance in this thread.
mb:  Asus A8AE-LE, athlon 64 3200+ 2ghz, 1024mb ram (2x512 pc3200), evga geforce 7600 gt 256mb gddr3 pci-e, hdd 142gb, 56gb

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Ideally, try my first solution above before you use this one.

You guys going to keep confusing this poor fellow? :P

There are two possible ways to get around this, one easy, one hard.

In your player\single\ folder, you will find the campaign progress files you've already mentioned.  Generally in my experience, these don't get corrupted, the pilot file does.  A way around this is to copy the contents of the single folder to another location.  Now delete your pilot file and the derelict campaign file in the player\single folder.  Load the game, and create a new pilot with exactly the same name as the one you've just deleted.  Go into the game and configure the options, then exit FS2.  Now, copy the Derelict campaign file from the backup of your single folder into the actual single folder (where you prviously deleted it; this may overwrite a new copy, that's fine).  Now load up the game again and see if you can resume where you left off.

What this trick does is fool the game into accepting an old campaign progress file with a bran new pilot file - it associates them directly with pilot name, so if the pilot name is the same it will typically accept the campaign file.  I use this frequently - I keep a backup of a basic uncorrupted pilot file.  If it gets corrupted, I simply copy it into my single folder over the existing pilot.  Generally this eliminates the corruption and preserves campaign progress.

Now,if this doesn't work (and it may not), some benevolent soul can probably create you a new temporary campaign file (which goes in the data\missions folder) from where you left off.  Try the other trick first.  If it doesn't work,post here again and I'll fire up FRED (if someone else doesn't before me) and create you a temporary campaign file.  I think I have an extracted copy of the Derelict.fc2 file lying around.  The only thing I may have difficultly preserving is the ships/weapons which are available (i.e. you may be able to select everything unless I can figure that out).

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Maybe he did?

OK -- the first suggestion (make new pilot with same name, drop in old campaign progress file) did not work.  However, the new campaign file with just the final missions in it did work.  So thank you very much for that.  I just completed Derelict.  It was great, and a challenge, but I wish there was a debriefing or something at the end -- instead, you ALT-J out of the mission, and the credits roll.  Thanks again for the file.  Now I just gotta start playing some more campaigns and try to get a good set of stats back.
mb:  Asus A8AE-LE, athlon 64 3200+ 2ghz, 1024mb ram (2x512 pc3200), evga geforce 7600 gt 256mb gddr3 pci-e, hdd 142gb, 56gb

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Maybe he did?
While the loss of stats/ranking is annoying, I really wanted to find out what happens next in Derelict.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
OK -- the first suggestion (make new pilot with same name, drop in old campaign progress file) did not work.  However, the new campaign file with just the final missions in it did work.  So thank you very much for that.  I just completed Derelict.  It was great, and a challenge, but I wish there was a debriefing or something at the end -- instead, you ALT-J out of the mission, and the credits roll.  Thanks again for the file.  Now I just gotta start playing some more campaigns and try to get a good set of stats back.

My biggest recommendation is to keep a 'pure' backup of your player file (without any campaign progress) and a backup of your entire player folder.  Update the player folder backup each time you finish a campaign without problems.

My biggest recommendation is to keep a 'pure' backup of your player file (without any campaign progress) and a backup of your entire player folder.  Update the player folder backup each time you finish a campaign without problems.

Yeah, I believe that I'll be backing up the player file regularly from here on out.