Author Topic: Underrated Games  (Read 10712 times)

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Underrated games? How about these. Though they are a little "old school" I'm afraid. But what do you expect from an old grey haired wrinkly like me.

Starting with the Commodore 64 the first really underrated game I discovered was Mail Order Monsters. A game with a fantastic concept. You spent money buying cratures and outfitting them with special powers and weapons and then sent them into battle against creatures owned by your mates. Next game, same platform, Rocketball. A great computer implementation of Rollerball. Quite silly and a lot of fun. Last on the C64, PSI-5 Trading Company. A game which put you in command of a space freighter. Pretty convincingly too with some lovely cartoon style graphics representing your crew. The crew also responded in a very human way to stressful situations. Generally losing it, shouting at you, and one another. Good to watch.

Onto the Amiga now and we'll kick off with Lords of Chaos. The Amiga based sequel to Julian Gallop's Laser Squad. The only game where I've ever killed someone by setting fire to their house and blocking the house's exits with summoned elephants. Wildlife assisted arson if you will. I also once created an army of flying undead monkey swordsmen. Great game. Next on this short list is Warhead. A space combat/adventure simulator with newtonian physics. It worked really well. Much better than it did in Frontier: Elite 2. My last pick for the Amiga and this dull post nobody is interested in is K240. A real time strategy game where you would build mining colonies on moving asteroids, build ships, armies, cruise missiles, and blow the hell out of the opposition. The cruise missile aspect was great fun. It was entertaining to rain nuclear weapons on enemy colonies.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Roanoke

flying undead monkey swordsmen = cool

Offline tifi

• GTF Apollo Fan Club
M.A.X.

Years old RTS game with a few twists, and possibly the best (least retarded) AI for a long time.
I remember spending hour after hour playing with this and actually enjoying only just hold my own in the campaign.

Coolest Feature: You can customise your units in-game by conducting research or spending mined gold :yes:
Annoying Feature: It's damn hard :p