Author Topic: Subspace drive recharge time  (Read 7427 times)

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Re: Subspace drive recharge time
...there's no canon evidence to the claim that gravity is needed for a subspace jump.
Dude...

Quote from: tech room
First, an intrasystem jump can occur between two points in a star system. Most small, space-faring vessels are equipped with motivators capable of these short jumps. The presence of an intense gravitational field is required, prohibiting travel beyond the boundaries of a star system.
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

There would have to be some sort of recharge time for capital ships for sure.  I mean think of the amount of energy needed to propel that mass that fast for that distance.  Individual fighter jump drives probably only need a couple of seconds to recharge, but a number like 8-15 minutes sounds right for a cap ship (depending on class and differences between terran, vasudan, and shivan drives).  Those figures are just a complete guess, though.

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
There would have to be some sort of recharge time for capital ships for sure.  I mean think of the amount of energy needed to propel that mass that fast for that distance.  Individual fighter jump drives probably only need a couple of seconds to recharge, but a number like 8-15 minutes sounds right for a cap ship (depending on class and differences between terran, vasudan, and shivan drives).  Those figures are just a complete guess, though.

True, it's not very often you see a (artificial) 1,000,000t or so object going at Mach 3.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
...there's no canon evidence to the claim that gravity is needed for a subspace jump.
Dude...

Oh...

Then i have no idea what Goober's on about....

Ignore me please.

Offline Vretsu

While you loathsome fools bickered and argued, I developed a mathematical formula.

'P': The number of times Allied Command uses words like "critical" and "imperative" in the briefing.

'S': The approximate number of huge Shivan warships in system.

'T': Number of missions into the campaign.

'B': Missions elapsed since the GTVA experienced a huge catastrophe.

f(R) = .5p + 1s(p^2 * t + b)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Verify if that formula works :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
While you loathsome fools bickered and argued, I developed a mathematical formula.

'P': The number of times Allied Command uses words like "critical" and "imperative" in the briefing.

'S': The approximate number of huge Shivan warships in system.

'T': Number of missions into the campaign.

'B': Missions elapsed since the GTVA experienced a huge catastrophe.

f(R) = .5p + 1s(p^2 * t + b)

So according to this formula, the last mission of the FS2 campaign must have sucked for GTVA capital ship's captains...
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Vretsu

Command: "This is Allied Command. Actium, you are authorized to depart for Vega."

Actium: "Now energizing our subspace drives. Please stand by."

*ten minutes later*

Actium: "Subspace drives are still charging. Keep the five destroyers and sixty bomber wings off us, pilots."

*three hours later*

Actium: "Aaaaany second now."

*the next day*

Command: "Capella has gone supernova, repeat, Capella has gone supernova!"

Actium: "Oh, for ****'s sake..."

Ensign Jenkins: "Oh, sir! The subspace capacitors have reached 5% of their nominal charge!"

Actium: *airlock*

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I ami be an idiot at math i have alwais been really really really bad at math so i'm curios what exactly is the formula suposed to demonstrate? The fact that each time you get a shivan super ship GTVA warship captains have they day pretty much freaked up so bad that they get blown to pieces by a super nova? At least that is what I understood.

Also sometimes the recharge time for some of those ships is ridiculous. I mean come on you have the freaking Iceni jumping in wait for about 1 minute then jump out of the sistem again. Its ridiculous when compared to the way subspace engines seem to work for the GTVA ! Notice i did not mention the shivans since well....umm....theyr the shivans.
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
What does it matter? Drive recharge for a given ship takes just as long as is needed to achieve the needed plot purpose.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
If I understand correctly, shorter distances in actual space may not coincide with distance in subspace.  In other words, a subspace corridor might be longer for a jump between two relatively close systems, and shorter for distant systems.  This might even change each time you jump, depending on if the same corridor is used between the two points.  I think I remember hearing that jump points form and close all the time, so maybe the jump drive latches onto one and keeps it open for transit until you leave it?  At least for in-system jumps.  IDK, it's all speculation anyways.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
I'd say distance in subspace is shorter than distance in real space...then again it could longer distance in subspace. It could be that **** just moves faster through subspace. I mean subspace usage for fs is it's superluminal speed for getting around the galaxy. Subspace in fs has the usage of ftl as well, when you're going from star system to star system. When it comes to going from system to system ships are completely dependent on the subspace corridors that go between them. In system could be a different thing, i really don't know if subspace in system is close to, as fast, or faster than the speed of light. Then again i'm sure no one in  here would mind reaching pluto from earth in 8 mins or 10 utilizing an in system jump because that's still pretty damn fast to leave the system even in 16 mins or so.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Well, actually I meant the jumps were short compared to each other... eg, the subspace corridor from here to Mars orbit might be longer than from here to Pluto orbit, even though the actual distance is the opposite, depending on which subspace corridor you managed to lock on to.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
I think it's all rather relative, afterall we are talking about subspace, not every day 3d space, distances would be perceived in 3d when they're actually in 4d, or 5d who knows, it is a different dimension! ???  :confused:
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Isn't the fourth dimension time?

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Isn't the fourth dimension time?
I think it's all rather relative, afterall we are talking about subspace, not every day 3d space, distances would be perceived in 3d when they're actually in 4d, or 5d who knows, it is a different dimension! ???  :confused:

:P
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
:eek2:  Like greased lightning, he is!