Author Topic: Can you play with a mouse? + other questions.  (Read 2001 times)

Can you play with a mouse? + other questions.
Hi.  I've recently dug out FS2 and want to play through the single campaign again.  I've been looking at a few joysticks at my local electrical shops and I've just been told its possible to play the game with a mouse.  I've got a MX518 (1600dpi) and was wondering how you'd go about setting up the mouse 'in game' so to speak and is it really just as good as a joystick?  I don't want to waste £20-30 at my local store on an average joystick and I really want to play the game today and tomorrow.

Also, how do I install the SCP texture files (.VP files)?  Do I need to put them in a folder somewhere or run a installer?  I really clueless and could do with some help with this.

Great forum by the way.

Warren.

Offline Koth

• Join the NTF! We have cookies!
Re: Can you play with a mouse? + other questions.
Depends on your flight skill but I'm playing it fine with amouse (MX510). To use the mouse select mouse flight in the
options menue.
To use the SCP effects create a folder named mediavps and put the SCP vps in there. Then select this folder in the
Mod tab of the Launcher.
The Signature is a Nuke!

Can you invert the mouse?  Don't like it the way it is. 

'Then select this folder in the Mod tab of the Launcher' - Whats the Launcher?  How do I get this?

Thanks.

Offline Koth

• Join the NTF! We have cookies!
Yeah IIRC somewhere in the control config you can invert it.
Where did you got the SCP ? Did you use Tureys installer ?
The Signature is a Nuke!

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Once you have started the game.. Go to option screen -> control config -> ship and then click on the listed axis (mouse axis something). Then click on the invert button on the lower left corner of the screen.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Thanks, but I've just bought a joystick, the mouse didn't feel right.  One problem though, the throttle doesn't seem to work in game and the twist function doesn't seem to do anything.  I thought the twist junction made the ship bank from side to side.  The joystick is a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro

Any ideas?

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Thanks, but I've just bought a joystick, the mouse didn't feel right.  One problem though, the throttle doesn't seem to work in game and the twist function doesn't seem to do anything.  I thought the twist junction made the ship bank from side to side.  The joystick is a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro

Any ideas?

The twist and throttle don't come binded by default. You have to do it yourself.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.