Author Topic: How do I play? Can someone please walk me through this?  (Read 4383 times)

How do I play? Can someone please walk me through this?
Okay, I got the giant 1.5c torrent. I updated to 1.8. I updated to 1.9.

I went to the FS2d_Net place and made an account. I downloaded the fs2o_psx.cfg.Blah blah blah, I've done the FAQs to the letter and I still can't play.

I can connect to the IP from the old fs2o_psx.cfg but when I put in FS2d_net.game-warden.com it can't even connect.

When I could connect, I couldn't see ANY servers. When I check the FS2d_net page (http://fs2netd.game-warden.com/), I see no active games and no players online.

From my (lackluster and horrid) understanding, I've done EVERYTHING correct and it's just that this latest version of FS2O has killed multiplayer, but the next release (whenever it may release) will fix it.

Either way, can I at least play on LAN? That way me and some buddies of mine can use Hamachi (www.hamachi.cc) to set up a "fake LAN" online and play online that way.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Re: How do I play? Can someone please walk me through this?
LAN works with Hamachi. Done it myself, so long as you do not force any ports in the Launcher. The only odd thing I noticed were POFs not animating but as long as you can play I don't think it'll matter that much.

If you CAN connect to FS2NetD without trouble (you get the hacked table warnings and such), it just means nobody's playing at the moment. Literally nobody.

Multiplayer is very sporadic around here, furthermore a lot of the coders would tell you it's broken in some way or another. (I was watching that uber-long thread you know. :nervous:)
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Playing with your friends online, without Hamachi, works just fine.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Well that I know. It all comes down to preference and ping times, I guess. :doubt:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It's fs2netd.game-warden.com NOT FS2d_net.game-warden.com

Multiplayer is very sporadic around here, furthermore a lot of the coders would tell you it's broken in some way or another. (I was watching that uber-long thread you know. :nervous:)

Then you've taken the wrong message away from that thread. Nothing is really broken in the FS2NetD code that isn't broken in the LAN code.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Oh... This makes me cry. I was hoping there'd be an online community ever since it went OpenSource (I never played online when it was a new game, sadly) but I suppose not.

Myth's the same way. There's always 43 people on, but 40 of them sit in the chat room doing nothing, 1 of them is playing solo online, and the other two are already playing and you can't join in progress...

Well, I guess I'll just have to resort to using Hamachi. It was only a buddy of mine but I was hoping we could join an online co-op so it was more than 2 of us.

Also: So I have everything set up properly, I'm just not seeing anyone because there IS no one to see?

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Also: So I have everything set up properly, I'm just not seeing anyone because there IS no one to see?

Yup. I'll see if I can play with you if you give me a GMT time to show up.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

I don't really have one. I'll have to get my crew together, they'll have to get it, patch it, get it ready for MP... But if we can get our stuff together I'd be more than happy to see if we can all get online with the FS2O community and play around.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Hmm, well, I think once PXO support is back up, this game has a chance of taking off... *crosses fingers*.  It needs to be simple, like with Halo PC multi.  Ppl don't want to have to dig out their router manual to forward ports.. even though they should know how.  (They should also have a basic understanding of how their car works, their electricity works, ... how their PC works oh that's right, some use Mac... :lol: j/k, I'm joking :) )

Freespace runs on a Mac? Well, glad to know we're offering those poor fools something to play.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
And a Linux box, too! :D

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
LoL...

Well, two cents: for me, fs2netD if you're blasting with folks across the globe, Hamachi if your friend's nearby (unless you have cables long enough :lol:). But from my experience, Hamachi doesn't guarantee lower ping times - my friend's connection is far worse than mine, it's always seeing load, and I end up hosting almost all the time. Hard to tell, really.

I was a Hamachi skeptic myself, until like, about a month or two ago. My friend and I did use fs2netD at first. Either way I disable the connection when it's not in use, I rarely use it anyway.

(@ karajorma: Noted, actually that's... kind of why I said "some way or another". Me and my doubts again...)
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares