Author Topic: Model greed/hogging  (Read 4456 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
RoR4 used models we've all seen before, heck, it used a cruiser we've all seen before. i still got alot of "WOW" factor...

Especially in the INFA engine. :D

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
  • doesent care about canon
it doesent use the INFA engine.

Burn the sucker out of the sky!
EAT PHOTONS INFIDEL! MAY THE HEAT OF A THOUSAND SUNS CONSUME YOU! :mad2:

snail gives a debriefing: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,48825.msg991954.html#msg991954

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I think one problem with hoarding models, effects and so on is that a lot of campaign projects get some models finished but gradually fade away before the missions are done. The models are then lost, as the staff will rarely admit that the campaign is going nowhere and it's effectively abandoned only when they simply disappear from the community over time.

CP5670, I think you are one of the smartest people in the community.

Thanks, but...you know what I'm doing in real life or something? My post there doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary. :p

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
I think one problem with hoarding models, effects and so on is that a lot of campaign projects get some models finished but gradually fade away before the missions are done. The models are then lost, as the staff will rarely admit that the campaign is going nowhere and it's effectively abandoned only when they simply disappear from the community over time.

CP5670, I think you are one of the smartest people in the community.

Thanks, but...you know what I'm doing in real life or something? My post there doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary. :p

I looked at the stuff on your site the other day and I came across your resume.  I must say I was impressed.  :p
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Snail

• SC 5
it doesent use the INFA engine.

It works with the standalone version of INFA. ;)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I looked at the stuff on your site the other day and I came across your resume.  I must say I was impressed.  :p

What resume?

[edit] oh, I guess you mean this. I moved a bunch of random stuff from my ISP webspace over to your server a week ago, just to keep everything in one place. I need to have that up somewhere for various things I'm applying to.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 01:15:29 pm by CP5670 »

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Sounds like someone's feeling a bit of mortality eh?

No worries, it happens every few years/decades. You get used to it... Mostly...  :p

My last breath will probably be "Storm Attacker (Gasp)!"  :lol:
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 01:50:58 pm by Getter Robo G »
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
If you are referring to me, I'm not exactly old. :p

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Havn't we veered off topic a bit?

Well..was wondering if this thread had any effect at all...anyone planing on releasing some models soon? :D
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I doubt it would influence any projects currently in progress. As I said, nobody wants to consider the possibility that their campaign might never be released, and they want to maximize the "wow factor" that Shade mentioned. (I agree with you that these things usually aren't very important if the missions are good, but many campaign heads think otherwise)

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
I sent a note to one of the 158th guys (no reply)...

Let's start with projects like that... Not saying we need to hold their feet to the fire, but OTT set an example.
It would be nice if we could actually contact one fo them to see if any of the files could be "saved" for the community. Credited as always...
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
All I'm saying it would be a great boost to the community as a whole.. 
Some modders (like me) work on several projects. If I don't have to make every ship for my own campaign from scratch (which has priority over other projects) then I would have more time to make ships for other projects (I know..I know.. Towlyn, GRG.. no, the ships are not done... I can hardly bring myself to make the ships I need these days.. :sigh:.).

consequently, more projects would move faster....
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Let's start with projects like that... Not saying we need to hold their feet to the fire, but OTT set an example.
It would be nice if we could actually contact one fo them to see if any of the files could be "saved" for the community. Credited as always...

Time ago, Woomeister made the table entry of the Gaia public.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Darius

There were several ships from the "Design a Destroyer" thread that got lost as well, destined never to be used.