Author Topic: Mc80A - Winged Mon Calamari cruiser - WIP  (Read 31509 times)

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Re: Mc80A - Winged Mon Cal - WIP
I hope Sam didn't finish him off....
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I don't know what you're talking about, but I hope not too.  He was doing an amazing job on that model.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

KOOL :jaw:
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Snaga

Relax.....I'm not a goner yet...... it's that I had tons of work and study this last month. I even had to go out on business for a week. I'm still a little hard pressed, but luckily next week I can post some updates.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
No worries, we've all been there, look at how much time I had to take off for work and family stuff.  There's no need to rush, it's not as if we're ready for a release and waiting on one model or anything.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah, definitely not a problem.  We just hoped you hadn't abandoned it, since it was looking so pretty.  Take your time, rl comes first, trust me.  Otherwise you _will_ get burned out.  Updates are nice though too :)
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Snaga

Ok, added some pipes and stuff in the inner part of the engines cover (as I named it) :D. But those small details will add a lot of polys, already jumped 10K to sum up to 50K aprox. and I´m still missing a lot. Also, there´s not much left to finish the model, (until you all start looking close at it).
I was also wondering how are we going to make the turrets, for I´ve never seen one in the movies, but they sure have. Perhaps inside the blister pods ?

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
My idea for now is to leave the blister pods as subobjects and we will set them as inanimate turrets.  I don't know any other source for placements of turrets, supposedly some of the pods should have an opening in them for a turret to be placed though.  The wiki claims the Liberty has 48 turbolasers and 20 ion canons, so roughly 70.  However, most are probably dual or quad, mostly dual, so I'd try to get around 30-40 turrets on it.

Also, amazing job greebling the underneath there.  Looks fantastic.

Sh*t guys, stangin' good work!

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline maje

wooowheee!

That Liberty Cruiser is coming along very nicely!  As for the debate on the batteries, I would assume that they are mounted in the blisters, though it's hard to determine what the actual visibility is since the original trilogy skimps out on these kinds of details.  When you think about it, the only capital ships to really show visible gun turrets were the Corellian Corvette and Star Destroyers (and those were really just the larger guns).  The Nebulon-B only shows one Laser Cannon and Turbolaser Battery and that's in the lower compartment of the forward hull, yet we know from ROTJ, that the Nebbie clearly has more guns than just those.

I'd almost say it's really up to the imagination, but it needs to be kept in mind that the best place to mount the turrets would be in areas that provide the greatest field of fire.  Another idea would be to make the turrets small rotating blisters with a barrel or two protruding out.  The closest visual I can use an influence for this would be taking a look at the laser cannons aboard the Corvette (not the two Dual Batteries mind you).
Deuternomy 22:11 explained:

Well there are many different speculations going on about this law about not mixing fibers and at least one explanation claims that it was a symbolic gesture designed to keep a pure sense of culture, people, and religion.  Seperation of crop  in the vinyard, mentioned in Dt. 22:9 and 22:10 seem to reaffirm this idea, though there may be other reasons as well.

And now, an excerpt from the Prayer of Mordecai, the Book of Esther Chapter C (New American Bible Official Catholic version).

Est C:5  You know all things.  You know, O Lord, that it was not out of insolence or pride or desire for fame that I acted thus in not bowing down to the proud Haman.  6  Gladly would I have kissed the soles of his feet for the salvation of Israel.  7  But I acted as I did so as not to place the honor of man above that of God.  I will not bow down to anyone but you, my Lord.  It is not out of pride that I am acting thus.

Offline Snaga

Another idea would be to make the turrets small rotating blisters with a barrel or two protruding out.  The closest visual I can use an influence for this would be taking a look at the laser cannons aboard the Corvette (not the two Dual Batteries mind you).

I agree with this idea, making them small enough as to barely see them from a distance, thus keeping the smooth circular form seen in the movies. Also, we´d have to agree on the exact number of turrets we should use and general positions.

Also, I have to check on the poly count, as far as I´m going I could very well end up over 80K!!!! :shaking: By now I´m on 65K, having done some more greebling on the engines, but I think I could just lower the count only by reducing the amount of the smaller blisters.  :mad: Perhaps twikling again the small details, but as things go, I can´t imagine this model with less than 65.000 polys, (triangulated and with LODS).

EDIT: This picture here is to show my idea of where the primary cannons could be.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 01:06:13 pm by Snaga »

lotta primary cannons.....  :drevil:

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
As far as poly count goes, we should be able to use the new mapping support to greatly reduce the count on the mon cals.  Any smaller blisters should be representable with normal/parallax/height mapping, and we should be able to get a great level of detail on it without having to add all that stuff to the mesh.  You may want to make a high poly version to aid in the generation  of those maps though, but keep everything detachable for now probably.

Offline maje

Another thing that I'm remembering are the hangars on this thing.  Have those been researched yet?  Because there is some questionability in terms of location and what they are supposed to look like when observing photo references of the movie models.  In fact, the only ship that really ever had obvious and clearly visible hangars is Home One.  For both the Liberty and Reef Home, I'm wondering.

One last thing, Snaga.  Are you going to be modeling Reef Home as well? (It's the wingless MC80 in Return of the Jedi that's the same size as the Liberty.
Deuternomy 22:11 explained:

Well there are many different speculations going on about this law about not mixing fibers and at least one explanation claims that it was a symbolic gesture designed to keep a pure sense of culture, people, and religion.  Seperation of crop  in the vinyard, mentioned in Dt. 22:9 and 22:10 seem to reaffirm this idea, though there may be other reasons as well.

And now, an excerpt from the Prayer of Mordecai, the Book of Esther Chapter C (New American Bible Official Catholic version).

Est C:5  You know all things.  You know, O Lord, that it was not out of insolence or pride or desire for fame that I acted thus in not bowing down to the proud Haman.  6  Gladly would I have kissed the soles of his feet for the salvation of Israel.  7  But I acted as I did so as not to place the honor of man above that of God.  I will not bow down to anyone but you, my Lord.  It is not out of pride that I am acting thus.

Offline Snaga

About the hangars on this model I posted the same question on this thread a while back. Chief and I believe that they could possibly be in the front of the ship. According to some pictures of the actual model where you can clearly see the openings there, they could have that end. But as we couldn´t find any reference to them it´s up to the team to decide where to place the hangar bays.

On the Reef Home model I tried it some days ago. Seeing as it is exactly the same model but without the wings, one more engine and some blisters where the wings where, I thought it was easy. But to my liking, after I took the wings of, (I made them as a separate mesh), the ship looked a bit thin, so I might have to retouch it a bit.
Here´s what I did that day (with a comparison) without sweating much, just added 4 blisters that´s all.

Even so, I´d think it best to finish this model and then start with the Reef home. It also should be lower on the poly count. Just in the wings I´m using like 10K polys with so many blisters that they have.

whats that bottom picture????  :wtf:

Offline Snaga

I believe it is a picture of the actual set while shooting RoJ. I put it there to make a comparison between the real thing and the wip.

Here's a new update on the details of the engines. Also I think I will replace the greebling of the panel above the engines with something "cleaner". I don't like the looks of it much, but most of all, I don't like how many polygons it adds to the model.

I believe it is a picture of the actual set while shooting RoJ. I put it there to make a comparison between the real thing and the wip.

Here's a new update on the details of the engines. Also I think I will replace the greebling of the panel above the engines with something "cleaner". I don't like the looks of it much, but most of all, I don't like how many polygons it adds to the model.

ugh
50 Reasons why Return of the Jedi sucks

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
That's great Titan, very on topic.

Thanks for your contribution.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

ITS SO NICE TO BE WANTED!!!  8D (thats my smiley, like it?)

whats the current polycount? it always looks like the moncal ships wouldn't work.