Author Topic: Desertion radius in SCP  (Read 11355 times)

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Desertion radius in SCP
Since I have some interesting ideas for deep recon missions and other creative uses of truly extravagant distances (with cutscene-based autopilot, of course), I decided to test the radius at which the desertion warnings will kick in.

I set out from the GTD Gayatea (no, that is not a typo) in a Horus, turned time compression up to 64x and engine power to maximum, and went out into the lonely void. I was smitten detonated by God Command about 600 kilometers out.

This leads to the question--why not make the radius 6,000 km? Or 60,000? Or 6.0 x 10100? Or not there at all? Or user defined? Having a hardcoded radius at which point you're blown up, despite the fact that objects can exist outside it, seems silly. Why not make the limits user defined, either as a definable radius (which can be eliminated by setting it to zero) or using a bounding box like asteroid fields, allowing a specific area to be carved out of space that is defined as the field of battle?

Besides, a single wing trekking out millions of kilometers in an enemy system to scout enemy movements is just really cool in ways that red-alert missions cannot possibly match.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: Desertion radius in SCP
Sounds cool to me... I always wanted a look at those 80 Saths... :drevil:

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i always thought the desertion message/limited range was just a cheap fix to hide the limit on data types. you could change all the floats to doubles, but that will just hike the memory requirements and slow processing.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Snail

• SC 5

You mean 6 SJDs?

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Jr2 you know the Sathanas fleet at the sun is a background?
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Jr2 you know the Sathanas fleet at the sun is a background?

Plus a few SJDs for the sensor blips. And I think it's obvious too.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Oh, rly?  Hmm.  I'd considered that before, until I found the SJD model.  So, I thought that that must be what I saw.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
How about a "set-desertion-radius" sexp, which allows the mission designer to designate the range?  Setting it to -1 would eliminate the range altogether.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

How about a "set-desertion-radius" sexp, which allows the mission designer to designate the range?  Setting it to -1 would eliminate the range altogether.
why not zero?
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
  • doesent care about canon
then you would be "smited" instantly, for going 0 mters away form the battle zone. why not set it too 999,999,999,999,999,999,999? it would take a whole day to fly that far unless your max speed was realy high

Burn the sucker out of the sky!
EAT PHOTONS INFIDEL! MAY THE HEAT OF A THOUSAND SUNS CONSUME YOU! :mad2:

snail gives a debriefing: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,48825.msg991954.html#msg991954

then you would be "smited" instantly, for going 0 mters away form the battle zone. why not set it too 999,999,999,999,999,999,999? it would take a whole day to fly that far unless your max speed was realy high

Bah. I am and idiot. :P

I say, screw the whole thing. If it only affects the player, then i see no point in it.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries

Either -1 or zero would probably work (e.g. setting the time limit in an FPS deathmatch to zero means no limit). I guess it depends on what kind of mathematics FS2 uses to calculate such things.

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
it would be useful for implementations of newtonian physics though. for those instances where youre going ludicrous speed
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
We need to whine to a coder...

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
The coders are having some issues at present... I wouldn't wine, and only ask them for a feature if you think it'd make a big difference...

You could try implementing it yourself  :p

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I think nuke posted the basic reason the limit exists anyway. I've not checked if he is correct but I definitely remember reading that the reason for the limit was to keep the game's footprint down.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Make it dynamic?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
I think that since the footprint is being reduced greatly for 3.6.10, can we not afford a little more memory for a larger mission radius?

--General Battuta

I think that since the footprint is being reduced greatly for 3.6.10, can we not afford a little more memory for a larger mission radius?

Ok, i guess I'm the only one wondering, but what exactly is the point of the desertion radius anyway? i meen, what player is actually going to fly as far as to get repeatedly spammed by command and eventually get blown up?
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Since I have some interesting ideas for deep recon missions and other creative uses of truly extravagant distances (with cutscene-based autopilot, of course), I decided to test the radius at which the desertion warnings will kick in.

it would be useful for implementations of newtonian physics though. for those instances where youre going ludicrous speed
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.