Author Topic: BTL Y-Wing (Model Complete, again)  (Read 26939 times)

Offline aRaven

here is the original ILM starship speed/maneuverability chart:

go figure! :P

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Yeah, I've seen that chart before, however it also must be noted that its a pre-production piece of work and is contradicted in several ways, including the movie itself.

By that chart, the Y-Wing is as fast and maneuverable as the X-Wing, yet more heavily shielded, armed and armoured.  If that were the case, why would they be replaced and retired?

Either way, new render

Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
And along with the WWII in space, momentum and intertia are definitely going to have to come into play.  Since these ships mostly lack maneuvering thrusters, and instead (supposedly) rely on gyro systems, their maneuverability is going to be heavily reliant on their overall mass.  So the larger ships are going to be like high speed bricks in space.  Even TIEs won't be able to turn on a dime, but they won't be as noticeable as the B-Wings.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline aRaven

Yeah, I've seen that chart before, however it also must be noted that its a pre-production piece of work and is contradicted in several ways, including the movie itself.

By that chart, the Y-Wing is as fast and maneuverable as the X-Wing, yet more heavily shielded, armed and armoured.  If that were the case, why would they be replaced and retired?

if it were pre-production, why is the A-Wing and TIE Interceptor present? They were not designed beforce ROTJ.

The movies don't show them as maneuverable as X-Wings, the 3 steps for maneuverability is not sufficient to tell the agility of the ships

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Preproduction on ROTJ, its a stage of development in filming
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Well, I think I'm about ready to call the model done for now.

Oh, by the way, the droid's got a name, it's R5-K8

So, comments?

« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 09:08:25 pm by brandx0 »

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
And along with the WWII in space, momentum and intertia are definitely going to have to come into play.  Since these ships mostly lack maneuvering thrusters, and instead (supposedly) rely on gyro systems, their maneuverability is going to be heavily reliant on their overall mass.  So the larger ships are going to be like high speed bricks in space.  Even TIEs won't be able to turn on a dime, but they won't be as noticeable as the B-Wings.

It's etheric rudders (the physics scribe in me shudders in terror), according to the books at least.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
And the underside too!

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
It's etheric rudders (the physics scribe in me shudders in terror), according to the books at least.

Oh yeah, the ether.  Sounds really familiar.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline DiabloRojo

• Como los chupacabras para desayuno.
    • Dienet - The Place You Go to Die (back after 5 years, baby!)
Re: BTL Y-Wing (Model Complete, 09/26/07)
*R5-K8 beeps inquisitively*
"Sorry R5, you're not getting a texture yet."
*incoherent beeps whirs and whistles*
"Hell if I know, they always say 'when it's done,' so your guess is as good as mine"
*hopeful-sounding beeps, etc.*
"... No, R5. Not tomorrow."

In case you're wondering, yes, I'm quite enjoying the new renders... unlike those guys   ;)

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
*R5-K8 beeps inquisitively*
"Sorry R5, you're not getting a texture yet."
*incoherent beeps whirs and whistles*
"Hell if I know, they always say 'when it's done,' so your guess is as good as mine"
*hopeful-sounding beeps, etc.*
"... No, R5. Not tomorrow."

Today.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Let's not forget that the Millenium Falcon held its own against TIE fighters... four of them!  Remember the corkscrew maneuver that Han pulled when he caused those 3 Star Destroyers to almost collide?

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Feedback on the mesh:

I like the way you built it; simplicity is good under certain circumstances. I see no unnecessary polies/greebles on it, yet it looks just as a Y-wing is supposed to look like. Good work on it.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Feedback on the mesh:

I like the way you built it; simplicity is good under certain circumstances. I see no unnecessary polies/greebles on it, yet it looks just as a Y-wing is supposed to look like. Good work on it.

I am inclined to agree, although I could see a bit more detail on the engines and frame.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
All of the detail on the engine pods is very fine, on the model it would be raised probably no more than a few centimeters each, and could probably best be done with texturing.  On the frame itself, I tried to put the most major details in, about the only thing missing is a few of the tubes, which I could add in, but would shoot the polycount way up.  On further inspection I think I might add them in and try to keep the polycount under 6k, but this thing's a monster on polies (rounded shapes plus greebles = ouch)

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
needs more pipes on the main body
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

cant we just do some table hacking so we can even kill an sd in a few hits?  :D

if not, ill just settle for same manueverability as ties.

and btw, they would still have a reason to retire it from the fighter role: the X has both bigger and more numerous guns. and if 2 torps can kill a DS, why would you need to have the Y loaded with them? you'ed get fragged so easy
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Ok, you won't be killing Star Destroyers in a fighter.  And you need extra torps in case the first ones detonate on impact, as was shown.  Also, the X's did carry more than just 2 of them.  But why would you want to table hack anyway?  This game is going to be a work of art when it comes to the canonity and balance, why would you want to break that?  :)

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
I'm going to be doing a higher poly version of this model, after doing some research on the way FS handles polies and the like.  Probably going to add an addition 1 to 2 thousand more tris to it.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Okay, here we go, first wip of highpoly Y-Wing: