Author Topic: Pandora's Box  (Read 18143 times)

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
I observed the same thing about the Hecate forward beam turret.  I would tend to suspect an issue with the high poly model more than any mission problem.

Like the Anbuis mk II, I felt the point of the Osiris mission was to underscore how much better the modern craft really are.  I can look at some of the other issues described here.

Many FS campaigns have this "Star Blazers" syndrome in which a ship can be shot to pieces in one mission but magically reappear undamaged in the next.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Many FS campaigns have this "Star Blazers" syndrome in which a ship can be shot to pieces in one mission but magically reappear undamaged in the next.

I was about to propose the introduction of campaign variables to make everything more realistic, but it's not the case...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Admiral Nelson

All the missions would then need to be rebalanced to allow for previous mission damage.  I liked how Blue Planet at least included a "logistics ship" to make it a bit more plausible.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
This would affect the original gameplay, so we should limit the not-so-necessary changes. Otherwise, we can set the number of waves, their time delay and many other things. I wouldn't recommend it.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Admiral Nelson

I agree.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
As already stated in the Warzone and Boomerang threads, due to extreme limitations on game time I am able to work on only one FSCRP project for now, and that is Warzone.  When that changes, I'll throw some work in here too.

Sorry boys.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Agent_Koopa

• These words make the page load that much slower.

I actually killed that Leviathan when I was passing it by in Transcend!
Interestingly enough, this signature is none of the following:
A witty remark on whatever sad state of affairs the world may or may not be in
A series of localized forum in-jokes
A clever and self-referential comment on the nature of signatures themselves.

Hobo Queens are Crowned, but Hobo Kings are Found.

Hello again,

Here's some more things I've noticed. Note that these are for the missions you get when you decline the proposal you get after the Blockade Point mission (that's mission 4).

Surprise (NTF-7Camp01.fs2)

- Spelling mistake in briefing stage 1, 2nd sentence. Should say: 'We have tracked the NTCv Alexandretta which arrived to reinforce the besieged NTF gas mining operations in the atmosphere of Deneb V'.

3rd sentence: 'Its subspace drive was apparently damaged and it was unable to jump completely back to its original position'. Maybe it's just me but I think this sounds a bit strange....it could mean that the ship only partly jumped out. Perhaps replace with: '...it was unable to accurately jump back to it's original position.'

- If the Alexandretta escapes before the Guderian arrives, there's no instruction from command (I'd expect a message saying 'This mission's a failure, RTB pilots,' or 'The Alexandretta has escaped!', or some such (again I'm probably being pedantic here). Nothing happens after you fail the primary objective; the Guderian doesn't show up but then again it's probably not meant to if the Deimos survives.

- This is related to the above comment - if you jump out on your own accord to end the mission after the Alexandretta escapes (i.e. after you fail the primary objective), the debrief text mentions the Guderian  destroying the Ramses and the repair transport after it enters the area...even if you jumped out before the Guderian is to supposed to arrive. I'm not certain if this entirely makes sense to the player.

- I need to re-play this one a bit more as I think it might be possible to save the Ramses but I could be wrong (it isn't supposed to  survive, according to the debrief recommendations).

Reinforcements (NTF-8Camp01.fs2)

- GVC Strakha (Aten class) appears again. Doesn't it get destroyed in Cat & Mouse (second mission of this branch)?  I can't recall if it did blow up the last time I completed the mission though. Does this mod somehow keep track of ships that survive/don't survive between missions?

PS Sorry people, but I'm going to be mostly out of touch for about the next 3 weeks and away from my comp for most of the time so there'll be very little feedback from me.

Ciao

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
As already stated in the Warzone and Boomerang threads, due to extreme limitations on game time I am able to work on only one FSCRP project for now, and that is Warzone.  When that changes, I'll throw some work in here too.

Sorry boys.

Help us out with the scripts and write an-almost-definitive credits list  ;)

- If the Alexandretta escapes before the Guderian arrives, there's no instruction from command (I'd expect a message saying 'This mission's a failure, RTB pilots,' or 'The Alexandretta has escaped!', or some such (again I'm probably being pedantic here). Nothing happens after you fail the primary objective; the Guderian doesn't show up but then again it's probably not meant to if the Deimos survives.

- This is related to the above comment - if you jump out on your own accord to end the mission after the Alexandretta escapes (i.e. after you fail the primary objective), the debrief text mentions the Guderian  destroying the Ramses and the repair transport after it enters the area...even if you jumped out before the Guderian is to supposed to arrive. I'm not certain if this entirely makes sense to the player.

It doesn't make sense. We'll have to add one or two messages and check the debriefing.

- GVC Strakha (Aten class) appears again. Doesn't it get destroyed in Cat & Mouse (second mission of this branch)?  I can't recall if it did blow up the last time I completed the mission though. Does this mod somehow keep track of ships that survive/don't survive between missions?

I will try to check it. We can always change the name...

PS Sorry people, but I'm going to be mostly out of touch for about the next 3 weeks and away from my comp for most of the time so there'll be very little feedback from me.

Ciao

Ciao ciao!
The Lightblue Ribbon

I think I should post this now whilst I have a chance.

After progressing from the debriefing of the mission titled 'Thinning the Herd' (NTFCamp9-01a.fs2) an SOC-type command briefing screen appears (before the next mission briefing) with the accept/decline options in the bottom right. The text that appears in this screen is the paragraph from stage one of the previous mission's briefing, I think.

I don't think it's meant to be here, as after the following mission (titled 'Waterloo') another such screen appears. This latter screen is for the second branch in the campaign (accept = transfer to the Iron Fist, decline = stay with the Abydos). NOTE TO OTHER TESTERS: I declined the offer for this branch.

Waterloo (NTFCamp10-01a.fs2)

- 'Intercept Guderian's fighters' objective doesn't get highlighted when the player completes it.

Combat Space Patrol (NTFCampV1.fs2)

- Briefing stage 2 says that Alpha wing will pilot Horus class fighters, however in the ship selection screen the default ship is the Thoth. Of course you can change it to the Horus by just selecting it in the list on the left of the ship selection screen, but there's only one available. Clicking on the reset icon doesn't change anything.

Also there's a minor little thing I noticed, which is probably something to do with the Serapis model. I recently downloaded FSO 3.6.9 again about two weeks ago using Turey's installer, as I was a bit paranoid that I hadn't installed it properly the first time. After checking out the Serapis using the external view I noticed that it looked a bit different (i.e. better), but also that the squadron insignia logo doesn't show up on it's wings. I doubt the player would take much notice of this though.

EDIT: Oh and there's a bit more...

Combat Space Patrol: There's some dialogue between Thata 1 and Command (starts with Theta 1 saying 'What the Hell!?...) when the Pandora appears with it's science vessels near the last waypoint. Command replies and tells Alpha 1 to scan one of the science vessels before they get destroyed. When I scanned one of them the same lines of dialogue appeared again.

By the way, you're meant to get 2 scans of the science vessels, is that correct? I suppose command would deem 2 scans of cloaking Faustus' to be more useful than 1 but it's extra work for the player....then again it is just a computer game  :D.

Bye for now.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 08:52:06 am by lostllama »

Offline Admiral Nelson

Thanks for the feedback. I'll get on it.

Hi guys, been a while since I posted here. I've finished this campaign now so here's what might be my last bit of feedback on it.

Combat Space Patrol - again...please see my comments in my last post too.

- 4 science cruisers appear at the last waypoint with the Pandora and Iceni. When they're all destroyed there's a message from command saying so. But in the debrief it says that all but one escaped.

Hunters or Hunted? (NTFCampV2.fs2)

- Destroy sentry guns objective: After looking at this in FRED it seems that some of the sentry guns are made invulnerable for 12 seconds after the Faustus (GTSC Cloak) explodes. These are sentries 3, 6, 11, 12 and 13. Also when all the sentries do get destroyed the objective doesn't change colour on the HUD.

- Linked to the above is that there's a SEXP that makes the Pandora temporarily invulnerable once the Faustus decloaks. It's made vulnerable again on the condition that the Faustus gets destroyed. But even if the Faustus does go down I can't seem to disable the Pandora - or disarm it. This mission has only worked properly twice for me, I think. What is meant to happen is that the Pandora departs once one of it's engines is disabled, from what I remember when it worked ok once.

I think someone needs to test this for themselves to see what I mean...and I'm not savvy enough with FRED to figure it all out.

Mayday (NTFCampV3.fs2, a red alert mission that follows on from the above mission)

- Sometimes when I test this mission, all of Iron Fist's escape pods get destroyed when it finally blows up, meaning that there's no chance to protect them (this is an objective). On other occasions some or most survive the Orion's explosion. I think this is kind of "realistic" though, so maybe leave it like it is.

The final two missions seem ok.

What I think I'll do is replay the campaign from the start and follow its alternative branches.

PS: Sorry for the wordiness of my posts, I'll try to be more concise in future.

Offline Admiral Nelson

Thanks.  It is better to be to wordy and make your points, then overly concise and lose something.

More feedback.

Command brief after accepting the offer after mission 4 - stage 7 of 7, spelling mistake in last sentence: "...and two primary points that can handle ALmost any weapon..."

Leave No Stone Unturned (NTFCamp5-02). Spelling mistakes in briefing text:

- Stage 3 of 7, 2nd sentence: "They obliterated the buoys before entering the field so it's (missing apostrophe) back to us methodically searching the field for the enemy."

- Stage 4 of 7, 3rd sentence: "The Risha, with your support, should be able to handle ALmost anything aside from a pair of corvettes or a destroyer."

- No white brackets on incoming asteroids, in fact few if any at all are on a collision course with the Risha, but there's a message saying they're highlighted in white brackets.

I found this one difficult on medium difficulty. It's hard (for me) to eliminate the Zeus wings and/or their torpedoes quickly enough, and they end up damaging the Risha too much for it last long enough against the cruisers. Or I got blown up protecting it when those cruisers appear (curse those friendly beams!!). Anyway I managed to see it through ok on easy. Maybe Mobius (if his computer is ok now) or another tester can see what they think about this one.

Will get back to you later when I've progressed a bit further.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 11:13:32 am by lostllama »

Offline Admiral Nelson

Thank you once again.  I will get on these and your previous feedback as soon as I have cleared out some other things on my to do list.

I'm getting an error messages from the pandora-str.tbm.  It says it is looking for $Debris and found debris01 :confused:

Does anybody know what to do?

Greetings: Schorsch
I`m from germany, so don't wonder about my spell ;)

Offline Admiral Nelson

Okay, here is another take at the campaign, which should resolve all of the above issues.  Aalso added M87's stars, and made compatible with the latest MediaVps.

Download

Ok have DL'd this and am going to check over it soon (haven't forgotten...)

Offline Admiral Nelson

Thank you. :)

Offline Koth

• Join the NTF! We have cookies!
Okay, it seems that ''Hunters or Hunted?'' is still not working properly. The Pandora stays invulnerable and the sentry gun and Cloak objective is never fullfilled.

EDIT: In ''Mayday''(NTFCampV3.fs2) one primary objective is named ''Protect the Abydos escape pods''. It should be Iron Fist instead.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 04:47:48 am by Koth »
The Signature is a Nuke!