Author Topic: Thanks & 2 questions from a newcomer =)  (Read 2529 times)

Thanks & 2 questions from a newcomer =)
Hi there  ;)

I am completely new to this game. When it first came out I did not have the PC specs, and now that I have them I did not want the old graphics disappoint me. But I found this project by chance about one week ago and I am impressed. The game looks and runs great on my laptop. Many thanks to all the people involved in this project.

Now the questions. The first one is related to the jump nodes. I believe I have installed the FSO 3.6.9 correctly (I followed all the instructions in the forum and all the ships and effects look perfect) but the jump node is represented by some kind of green mesh structure (without textures).

I am completely new to the game, so it could be that this is the way the Jump Nodes are supposed to look like  :rolleyes: . I am asking this just in case I did something wrong when installing the mod. Did I?

My second question is related to the .avi cutscenes. I have read many post related to this issue but I still cannot play them in the game. Can anyone tell me where should I put these .avi files so that FSO finds them and plays them? I have tried the main FS2 directory, the FS2/data directory, the FS2/data/movies, the FS2/mediavs, the FS2/media, the FS2/media/data... Perhaps I am missing something...

Many thanks in advance  :)

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Thanks & 2 questions from a newcomer =)
Funnily enough that's the second post about jump nodes I've seen in as many weeks. :)

Yes they are meant to look like that. Jump nodes are a computer projection. If the cutscenes worked for you then you'd soon notice that they aren't visible in them.

As for the avi cutscenes not working, I'd advise upgrading to the .ogg versions anyway as support for the avi versions will be removed in 3.6.10 anyway and might possibly be broken. If you're using 3.6.9 make sure you're running in OpenGL as they definitely don't work in D3D mode.

You can get the .ogg versions by running Turey's Installer. If you point this at your existing FS2 install it won't waste any time downloading stuff you already have.

EDIT I meant .ogg not .avi of course :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 08:06:21 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Wow, that was quick support!!

Thanks a lot for the answers. I will try the Turey's installer solution.

Great!! It worked :nod:

Many thanks again  :)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Wait a second... Karajorma, isn't there something wrong with the target box view? It should say:

-Regulas Jump Node
-Jump Node

right? But his just says

-Jump Node
-

Is there something wrong here?

Offline Agent_Koopa

• These words make the page load that much slower.
Relevancy ho!

I haven't been playing for a while, but I'm sure jump nodes aren't supposed to look like this:

That's only happened once so far. Now, a less relevant but recurring problem: engine glows consistently clip through models! This results in an annoying flickering effect. It's hard to see here, but for what it's worth...

And in addition to that, black boxes around the lights on an Arcadia! http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/1251/screen0002fl7.jpg

I'm playing FSPort, on a fresh install with Turey's Installer.
Interestingly enough, this signature is none of the following:
A witty remark on whatever sad state of affairs the world may or may not be in
A series of localized forum in-jokes
A clever and self-referential comment on the nature of signatures themselves.

Hobo Queens are Crowned, but Hobo Kings are Found.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
IIRC, the node HUD computer projections are different in FS1 & FS2.

Offline Agent_Koopa

• These words make the page load that much slower.
IIRC, the node HUD computer projections are different in FS1 & FS2.

You can see the node representation through the Galatea.
Interestingly enough, this signature is none of the following:
A witty remark on whatever sad state of affairs the world may or may not be in
A series of localized forum in-jokes
A clever and self-referential comment on the nature of signatures themselves.

Hobo Queens are Crowned, but Hobo Kings are Found.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
:wtf: So?  It's a projection on your HUD... although, yeah, you're not supposed to be able to see it normally, as it is actually stuck out there in FRED / FS2.  In Real LifeTM, this would be normal, unless your HUD was configured to not display portions of the node that had objects between the actual node space and your ship.