Author Topic: n00b Attempts Shivan Mod (contains screenshots)  (Read 55698 times)

Re: n00b Attempts Shivan Mod (contains screenshots)
Huh, my fault for not keeping up then. In any case, the ships will have nameplates in any missions/campaigns I make in the future.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Ok then, I'll convert the campaign. And make it into a campaign file. Once I'm done with the S:AH upgrade though.

That campaign should still be balanced, cause it's Shivan vs Shivan.

By the way, Flaming_Sword, change the topic name and first post. It should attract more people. Or simply make it look better.

Oh, and- Single Demo Mission Criticism:

* LACK OF BACKGROUNDS

But the rest is a-OK.

Ok then, I'll convert the campaign. And make it into a campaign file. Once I'm done with the S:AH upgrade though.

That campaign should still be balanced, cause it's Shivan vs Shivan.

By the way, Flaming_Sword, change the topic name and first post. It should attract more people. Or simply make it look better.

Oh, and- Single Demo Mission Criticism:

* LACK OF BACKGROUNDS

But the rest is a-OK.

Well...depends whether I'm still considered a n00b or not. :P

Also, I didn't exactly put much effort into the background. I might take another look at that for the next release, but it's low priority.

Right now, I have new ships with new weapons. I'm probably going to upgrade the weapons on existing GTVA ships too. Anything people really want to see in the mod?

It appears I will have to rethink my plans for adding new ships/keeping old ships. I seem to have hit the ship limit for non inferno builds...

No requests/suggestions?

A few objects such as cargo containers, cruisers and sentry guns use the same model, so you could delete one and FRED the other to replace it when necessary. That should make some 4-5 more .tbl entries available.
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Could work, though the current plan is to "retire" some of the entries and claim that the GTVA phased them out already (eg. some of the sentry guns, the original herc, etc.).

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Remove the Colossus and original Iceni, as they are pretty much dead at that timeline.

Anyway, I've converted the "campaign" today. Needs a bit more testing if there are no errors, and then I'll just have to send the file to Flaming_Sword for uploading to the mod itself.

:bump:

Did some testing on the "campaign". Yikes. It's playable, but the gameplay has changed from the original because of the new weapons (much more fast-paced and difficult :)). I'm not sure whether to leave things as they are as a tribute, or change a few things to clean it up, fix bugs from having the new weapons, etc. Also, some of the things that seem wrong and need fixing are necessary for actually finishing, like hull repair and missile replenishment that don't make sense between red alert missions.

In other news:

Techroom entry:

Subspace

Of the many spatial dimensions which we are aware, our creators have been long confined to three. The rest are smaller in scale and were impossible to move through until the development of drive technology that could propel a ship in those directions. A ship may be propelled into subspace along a ballistic trajectory influenced by the gravitational pull of stars and planets, and intersecting with normal space at the entry and exit points. The scale difference means the travel time is vastly reduced, making travel across star systems practical.

However, care must be taken as trajectories that have no exit point in normal space, such as those plotted when either the ship or the intended exit point are too far from a strong gravitational field, will result in the ship entering subspace, never to return. This means that ships may only travel safely through subspace within the bounds of a star system.

Travel between star systems is achieved through the use of subspace nodes. These nodes occur when normal space folds in on itself in subspace enough for two distant star systems to be near each other in subspace. The shape of normal space in relation to subspace and gravitational fields of the two stars will create two points in normal space where entering subspace with enough energy will result in a trajectory that intersects normal space at those two points, thus ensuring safe travel between the two star systems.

The closer the two systems are in subspace the more stable the node. Nodes may be destroyed by releasing large amounts of energy into subspace, forcing the points in normal space apart. Some races, including ours, have technology that can stabilise existing nodes by using energy to keep the two star systems close together. While our ships are capable of temporarily stabilising nodes prior to using them, other races have constructed large devices to permanently stabilise nodes as long as the devices are active.

The height of subspace technology is the Jump Gate. Using subspace telemetry from itself and a Communications Relay in the target system, a subspace node is created between the Jump Gate and a point in the target system as normal space is folded within subspace until both the system containing the gate and the target system are brought into close proximity. This unnatural folding of space requires large amounts of energy to perform and maintain, snapping back when power is shut off and collapsing the node.

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
Is the Jump Gate their word for the Knossos?  Or is it a mod thereof.
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

It's actually the shivan jump gate taken from inferno and retextured.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
That was the best choice for a Shivan jumpgate(certain retexturings look unrealistic).
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Retextured:

Original:

Retextured:

Original:

Apologies for the quality of the images. I'm no artist, and I don't know what people like (just what I like :P). If people like the original texturing better than mine, changing it back is a simple matter of copying the pof over. Bear in mind that this thing is 20km from the spikes on one end to the spikes on the other.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I like the retexturing. Looks more Shivan. The reduced use of red and the increased black is more aesthetically appealing.

Keep it.

What about those subspace ripples collapsing Capella?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
That's not canon. I'd like to see a Shivan mod close to FS standards ;)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

What about those subspace ripples collapsing Capella?

uh, where's that from?

From the main campaign.

Quote from: Admiral Petrarch
Over 80 Shivan Juggernauts are now in position around the Capella sun. Science vessels monitoring their activity have detected an anomalous subspace field rippling from the Juggernaut fleet. Though we can barely detect the field with our instruments, its intensity has been increasing slowly over the past seventy-two hours. We have known since the Great War that the Shivans possess advanced subspace technologies, but this field goes beyond our wildest speculations. The Shivans may be powering up a new kind of weapon, the likes of which we have never before encountered.
The detonation of Capella might have been an accident, but it definitely had something to do with whatever the Shivans were doing.

@Mobius: I do think that the original FS2 campaign can be considered canon.

Offline Turul79

Impressive, simply impressive. In fact, imagine fighting inside and around that Jumpgate....

From the main campaign.

Quote from: Admiral Petrarch
Over 80 Shivan Juggernauts are now in position around the Capella sun. Science vessels monitoring their activity have detected an anomalous subspace field rippling from the Juggernaut fleet. Though we can barely detect the field with our instruments, its intensity has been increasing slowly over the past seventy-two hours. We have known since the Great War that the Shivans possess advanced subspace technologies, but this field goes beyond our wildest speculations. The Shivans may be powering up a new kind of weapon, the likes of which we have never before encountered.
The detonation of Capella might have been an accident, but it definitely had something to do with whatever the Shivans were doing.

@Mobius: I do think that the original FS2 campaign can be considered canon.

Ah, that. I think we all had the wrong context for what you said first and thought you meant something else.

I have an explanation for that, which makes it delightfully useless for destroying ships. :P

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
 :shaking: That thing scares me.  I like the retexture though. :lol:
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.