Author Topic: Tarr Chronicles? Anyone? Eh?  (Read 2637 times)

Offline miskat

Tarr Chronicles? Anyone? Eh?
So Tarr Chronicles is out in English now.  Released by Paradox Interactive.  Anyone played it?  Is it good?  heh

I'm honestly surprised nothing has been posted about it yet.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: Tarr Chronicles? Anyone? Eh?
I got the demo, not too impressive, didn't buy.

Interesting, but not that great IMO.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Downloaded the english demo twice and it didnt run, unless the full game is pretty good I'm not touching it.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Downloaded the english demo twice and it didnt run, unless the full game is pretty good I'm not touching it.
Yea I couldn't get it to play on my computer either.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Snail

• SC 5
It was bugged up for me, actually. For the first few missions it was fine, then pictures were being overlayed over the briefings. Then parts of the models and textures weren't showing (in the message animations, only the eyeballs and microphones were showing! :P)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I gotta see that...
I will see if it works on my...Ahem...GrandMothers computer.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
suffers from All Your Base syndrome bigtime.

whos up for forming a lynch mob and going after their english localization team?
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
suffers from All Your Base syndrome bigtime.

whos up for forming a lynch mob and going after their english localization team?

From a what syndrome?

Haven't played it, too busy with CoD4, Crysis, Hellgate London, and only very quickly Bioshock, but it sounds like You-Know-who has his "smart" hands all over Tarr Chronicles.

Btw, quick analysis of the Demos I've played recently:

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - It's CoD, what do you expect? It's great, though in traditional CoD style, the plot is almost nonexistent.

Crysis - Perhaps too demanding for my 6200 OC, but another great game. A few youtube videos show the ability to throw enemies on top of buildings and collapse the jerry-rigged roof. Pretty much a modern-day Far Cry...

Hellgate London - An interesting combination of RPG and FPS. A good game with an engaging plot and challenging enemies. An added bonus, a quote from Joss Whedon: " The two things that matter the most to me: emotional resonance and rocket launchers."

Bioshock - IMHO, an overall good game with an interesting plot but limited game play.

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
it sounds like You-Know-who has his "smart" hands all over Tarr Chronicles.
Um. What? No.

Anyway, yeah, Paradox Interactive seem to enjoy publishing horrendous translations of Russian games. They also published the depressingly unreadable Emperor's Testament, which I'm far more annoyed about.

Um. What? No.

Think about it. First release features the following:

1. Limited functionality

2. Had more bugs than Gmail 2.0

Sounds a lot like Battlecruiser 3000 to me (first release anyway)

From a what syndrome?

From an old Japanese game that was poorly translated. Their translation was "All your base are belong to us." If you've ever heard that phrase, it comes from Zero Wing

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I've played 3 Paradox games,

Spaceforce Rogue Universe: Freelancer Clone with more Grind than WoW.

Genesis Rising: Interesting Homeworldesque RTS that has the most ridiculous difficulty curve of any game I've seen.

Tarr Chroncles Demo: Once again, good idea, too many issues.

All in all Paradox tend to release games that look good but should have spent at least 6 months longer on the drawing board and in coding.

Offline nvsblmnc

• I'm a minefield of information.
I've tried all three as well.

GR: Has an excellent soundtrack, but ridiculous mission design.  I liked the idea of being able to genetically modify your ship, but it just wasn't implemented properly.
SF:RU: Never managed to survive the first mission.
TC: Never managed to actually start the game - it only seems to do anything when it's minimised, which is kinda odd.

They all could've been so much better if they'd been finished prior to release.
When the reactor explodes, it's usually a sign that you've taken too much damage.

Offline diceman111

• Keep on playing Glottis, keep on playing.....
I bought it and thought it is worthless
Flames Of War Chapter III - http://web.comhem.se/~u35702611

"If at first you don't succeed try a bigger thermonuclear weapon" - My philosophy on life

"I dont care if we smack it into her or smack it out of her just aslong as there's smacking invovled" - Max from Sam & Max Situation Comedy

I live in Sweden and before anybody ask NO we do not have polar bears walking on our streets thats Norway, we have penguins (Red ones with blue dots)

(These messages was brought to you by the people from DFWD (Diceman For World Domination))