Author Topic: Crysis Has Been Shipped  (Read 9416 times)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Re: Crysis Has Been Shipped
That has become normal these days. :p You could say the exact same thing about Bioshock and a few other games.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
That said, the AI is pretty good. not spectacular, but it's better than allmost anything out there. You have to remember that they enviroment is DYNAMIC and programing a AI in there is far more difficult than a in most games.

Maybe it is, but, compared to the AI from Gears of War or even Halo 1, it's kinda lackluster in action. It's very easy to reduce some ridiculous number of hostiles down to size by taking a few potshots and sprinting into some little shed so they'll come up in ones and twos to check and see if you're still there. It's also really bad about actually getting in there and fighting; if an enemy has line-of-sight to you he will almost never advance. They rarely go for cover when fired on; in fact, never that I could see. They'll go for cover when NOT being shot at, though, which is damn near incomprehensible.

The AI also gets an impressive boost to his accuracy, compared to you. Those KPA folks are pretty good with their FY71's. Nay, superb. They can empty the clip at medium range and actually hit six or seven times, unlike you.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
its not that they dont hit its just that they have really good armor, once you get the incendiary rounds, the fy71 becomes ****ing deadly, even at sniper range.

It's funny, I'm hearing from most players that Crysis really isn't that great, yet it got so many almost perfect scores it's ludicrous.

And the AI did seem really dumb from the videos I saw - I even saw in one of the coolest preview clips how you could walk up to an AI and they'd take their sweet time to turn around and actually shoot you.

thats mainly cause all the reviews are done by console people. on the console version the detail levels are hard set to get a constant 30 fps (it may be different in hd). the textures are probibly also reduced. and being console gamers, that is the norm for them. if youre rating system allocates a couple stars to graphics then thats enough to severly twist the results. i would not rate a graphics engine very well if it cant run well at max settings on very high end hardware.

to be fair a reviewer reviewing a pc version of a game is most likely gonna have access to expensive, factory overclocked gaming hardware with dual 8800ultras, not a computer that represents the average pc gamer. that could also skew results by a couple stars. you also have to consider the bribe effect. if a game company pr guy gives you a free copy of a game to review, you will tend to give it a better rating cause you get a free game. a no bribe policy where the reviewer/magazine has to always buy the game could easily fix that problem.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 09:53:11 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Nah, you can actually tell when you hit the guy, he reacts to it, but even firing short bursts of about three rounds you only hit with one round, and the proportion goes down drastically the longer the burst. The regular KPA dudes take between five and ten hits, but at any sort of range you'll probably be pumping out at least twice that number of bullets to kill them. Crysis' weapons overall leave a lot to be desired in their accuracy, excepts the gauss and sniper rifles. (Gauss with sniper scope is godly.)

A Feddie Story

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
the ai was ****. they dont even duck when they hear a sniper rifle go off.

XD  I get to lecture you now.

Sniper ammo velocity = ~ Mach 3

So, you get to hear the rifle shot after the bullet has had the opportunity to kill you 3 times over.  And you're supposed to duck?  Only in the movies/games.

EDIT: Or did you mean, when you miss, or hit another player, that then they don't duck?  Yeah, that'd be stupid.

The rest of the points are valid.  And, yeah, I'm irritated, because I can get headshots using the FY71 & the XBOX360 controller, but I can't, because, even though I have the bead right on his head, I'm the player, therefore my accuracy is crippled.  @!$# that.

I'm surprised no one seems to know you can thaw yourself out by shaking the mouse and whacking the movement keys. I almost never get frozen for more than 5 seconds against the exo.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
That said, the AI is pretty good. not spectacular, but it's better than allmost anything out there. You have to remember that they enviroment is DYNAMIC and programing a AI in there is far more difficult than a in most games.

Maybe it is, but, compared to the AI from Gears of War or even Halo 1, it's kinda lackluster in action. It's very easy to reduce some ridiculous number of hostiles down to size by taking a few potshots and sprinting into some little shed so they'll come up in ones and twos to check and see if you're still there. It's also really bad about actually getting in there and fighting; if an enemy has line-of-sight to you he will almost never advance. They rarely go for cover when fired on; in fact, never that I could see. They'll go for cover when NOT being shot at, though, which is damn near incomprehensible.

The AI also gets an impressive boost to his accuracy, compared to you. Those KPA folks are pretty good with their FY71's. Nay, superb. They can empty the clip at medium range and actually hit six or seven times, unlike you.

Gears of war is a nace game, but it's whole fight system is built around (allready pre-made)cover, in a non-dynamic enviroment.
In Crysis you can create your own cover by cutting down trees or throwing/breaking stuff.

That siad, you're a Delta Force operative in a cloaking nano-suit. Of course the common NK soldier isn't a threat to you.
I've seen them act rather smart at times...trying to flank you, hiding behind walls. When I once kill a dozen of them, and only 4 were left, I tried to lure them into a room for a trap.. thy were to scared. They just keep going from cover to cover, peeking and fireing a few shots when they saw me. And when you claok they spray the area where you were with random pot shots.

FYI - the SCAR is more powerful and accurate than a FY-71. I can score headshots with it easily, especially with an assault scope and in strength mode (keeps the rifle steady, excellent for sniping)
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
I'm surprised no one seems to know you can thaw yourself out by shaking the mouse and whacking the movement keys. I almost never get frozen for more than 5 seconds against the exo.

yea it took me awhile to figure that one out

Gears of war is a nace game, but it's whole fight system is built around (allready pre-made)cover, in a non-dynamic enviroment.
In Crysis you can create your own cover by cutting down trees or throwing/breaking stuff.

That siad, you're a Delta Force operative in a cloaking nano-suit. Of course the common NK soldier isn't a threat to you.
I've seen them act rather smart at times...trying to flank you, hiding behind walls. When I once kill a dozen of them, and only 4 were left, I tried to lure them into a room for a trap.. thy were to scared. They just keep going from cover to cover, peeking and fireing a few shots when they saw me. And when you claok they spray the area where you were with random pot shots.

FYI - the SCAR is more powerful and accurate than a FY-71. I can score headshots with it easily, especially with an assault scope and in strength mode (keeps the rifle steady, excellent for sniping)

the ai has some useful skills, unfortunately there arent that many of them, and they arent used enough. if i can snipe em off at long range i will, and so some of those behaviors i never got to see. they need to react better to sniper fire. in a game that has 2 dedicated sniper weapons, and several that can be used as such, you would think better reactions were in order. sometimes i would just sneak into a high position in their base, like the sniper towers, and lob grenades off the top. causes total chaos. all they would need to do to prevent it is toss a grenade at the base of the tower, and it would collapse and most likely it would kill me.

the ai on the helicopters was way too good. once it had seen you the only way to get away from it was kill it. i held one off at a gas station for a half hour, the building was mostly indestructable so i would go in recharge, cloak, then go out and shoot at it. it would take a few seconds to get its guns on me, and i usually went back inside before then. eventually i got pissed, ran to a boat and used its gun to kill the chopper. you cant hide in the bushes and cloak doesnt last long enough to get you away from it.

as for the scar, its a good weapon when you have the ammo, but when you run out its a total throw away. i actually used a system where id use the weapon with the least ammo, then discard it when it was empty. as a result i always had a fully loaded fy71 on hand, cause it was easy to keep full, and it was good enough to use in most situations. so i had no problem using my favorite weapons first.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Just for the sake of hearing the enemies speak Korean and all that other "uber-realistic" stuff I played it on Delta, but I died too many times so I went, "Screw this, I'll play this thing Terminator style!!!!" :lol:

Usually when I play "story" games like these (i.e. this, Half-Life, Far Cry, Descent 3 etc), I'm really only interested in finding out what happens in the end. I do play through the entire game though, so that I see and feel the ending the way I'm supposed to see it (no accidental spoilers).

Shortens the game's life in my shelf, but hey, I'm just playing my game. I usually replay the story again anyway... :lol:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Open the Crysis/Game/Config/diff_bauer.cfg (that's Delta difficulty) and change hte following line:

g_suitArmorHealthValue = 200.0   to a much higher number

you cna also play with these:

-- Player Health/Energy/Suit
g_suitCloakEnergyDrainAdjuster = 0.5
g_suitRecoilEnergyCost = 5
g_suitSpeedEnergyConsumption = 90
g_suitSpeedMult = 1.85

g_suitArmorHealthValue = 900.0
g_playerSuitArmorModeHealthRegenTime = 25
g_playerSuitArmorModeHealthRegenTimeMoving = 40
g_playerSuitHealthRegenTime = 45
g_playerSuitHealthRegenTimeMoving = 50
g_playerSuitHealthRegenDelay = 2.5

g_playerSuitEnergyRechargeTimeArmor = 6
g_playerSuitEnergyRechargeTimeArmorMoving = 7
g_playerSuitEnergyRechargeTime = 8
g_playerSuitEnergyRechargeDelay = 1.0

g_playerHealthValue = 500.0

g_difficultyLevel = 4
v_driverControlledMountedGuns = 1

i_noweaponlimit = 1  <--------- add this one if you don't want limit on hte number of weapons you cna carry.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
So far I had seen the best AI in STALKER, that was the first time when covering fire made me uncomfortable.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Surprisingly, my computer could handle the game on medium settings. And while it is a brand new mid-range system, I was quite astonished.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
@ TrashMan

I did say "Screw this, I'll play this thing Terminator style!!!!" for a reason. Me likes Delta-level "realism" but not the difficulty. ;)

That includes v_driverControlledMountedGuns = 0 even though setting it to 1 was really tempting...

Anyways, I thought the FY71 flamer ammo was useless, but with all these comments I'd better try the gun again. Personally I think they should've made it like the AK and M4 in CS, power versus accuracy so that the SCAR doesn't pwn, but nevermind. (There's the flamer ammo anyway.)
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I personally figured the incendiary rounds were for use on the aliens, due to their "I like cold" nature. They did work pretty well on the machines, but I didn't carry an FY71 into the caves. Took an SMG and a shotgun instead.

A Feddie Story

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
So far I had seen the best AI in STALKER, that was the first time when covering fire made me uncomfortable.

Agreed, STALKER's AI was dead-on amazing in some parts, although in others it lagged :( But many times I found myself thinking about a tactical situation as if it were real, something I never do with games.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I personally figured the incendiary rounds were for use on the aliens, due to their "I like cold" nature. They did work pretty well on the machines, but I didn't carry an FY71 into the caves. Took an SMG and a shotgun instead.

I've hardly used them, mostly since I've been saving them (and there's plenty of ammo for it. Stupid me). It's excellent ammo and one of hte FY71's advantages over teh SCAR.

FYI - SCAR is overall a better weapon - more damage per shot, quieter, more precise. Silencers kill damage over range tough.

I think it's 0,2 drop per meter afetr 20 meters. FYI Scar does around 72 damage, the FY71 around 45

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Have no fear XP users, apparently you can run Crysis on its supposedly "exclusive" DX10-quality graphics perfectly fine on DX9. This of course raises questions as to why it would be touted as DX10-exclusive, but then we have to all remember; Microsoft is entirely composed of suck.

Snagged this from over on Kotaku, originally posted on crysis-online.com boards.

Quote from: Method
I tried this and I am amazed. I am even more amazed that it still runs at an almost playable fps

This is what I did. You can try this at your own risk as I am taking no responsibility if you screw up your system.

I went to my CVarGroups folder and in there were a bunch of cfg files.

I first made a copy of the entire CVarGroups on my desktop in case I screwed up. I then opened each cfg and made the same edits. You copy the default (4) option which is the first block of text and paste/replace the last block of text with it.

for example the "sys_spec_Particles.cfg"

[default]
; default of this CVarGroup
= 4

e_particles_quality=4
e_particles_lod=1
e_particles_max_emitter_draw_screen=32
r_UseSoftParticles=1
e_water_ocean_soft_particles= 1
e_particles_object_collisions=1

[1]
e_particles_quality=1
e_particles_lod=0.75
e_particles_max_emitter_draw_screen=4
r_UseSoftParticles=0
e_water_ocean_soft_particles=0
e_particles_object_collisions=0

[2]
e_particles_quality=2
e_particles_max_emitter_draw_screen=8

[3]
e_particles_quality=3
e_particles_max_emitter_draw_screen=16

Copy all the red text and paste/replace the blue text with it so it looks like...

[default]
; default of this CVarGroup
= 4

e_particles_quality=4
e_particles_lod=1
r_UseSoftParticles=1

[1]
e_particles_quality=1
e_particles_lod=0.75
e_particles_max_emitter_draw_screen=4
r_UseSoftParticles=0
e_water_ocean_soft_particles=0
e_particles_object_collisions=0

[2]
e_particles_quality=2
e_particles_max_emitter_draw_screen=8

[3]
e_particles_quality=4
e_particles_lod=1
r_UseSoftParticles=1

Do this same thing with all the cfg files in the CVarGroups folder. Just remember to BACK UP the old files first!!!!

After I did this I logged back in and all I can say is wow. Thw water is very different and the the tire tracks on the beach are realistic. The depth of view and light beams look very cool as well. Very nice find OP!

I'm going to play the demo all over with this setting now.

Good Luck
Someone should really give this a shot, see if it's on the level.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
If I ever get a system capable of running it on settings higher than low, and the money to buy it, sure.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I allready have it tweaked to the max. It's so friggin sweet :D