Author Topic: Video game reviews are just pathetic  (Read 12794 times)

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Re: Video game reviews are just pathetic
This explains a lot:

Rumors have been swirling today that Jeff Gerstmann, executive editor at CNET-owned major video game site GameSpot, was fired after giving a generally unimpressed review of Io Interactive's Kane & Lynch: Dead Men. Gerstmann awarded the game a 6.0. [Edit: Gerstmann had particularly negative words in his video review, which was removed from the site by GameSpot today.] (Though Shacknews does not score its reviews, our own Kane & Lynch review was similar in its verdict.)

According to the reports, the layoff came after Kane & Lynch publisher Eidos took issue with the review and threatened to pull its considerable ad contract. GameSpot's front page is currently almost entirely re-skinned with Kane & Lynch imagery

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/50134

:wtf:
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Crapola...

Edios has long lost any respect I had for them...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, there's conflicting reports, some are saying it was inspired by this, others are saying there's a lot longer history of problems. CNET have apparently denied that Eidos prompted this, but then, that says nothing either way, so I'm still in 2 minds about it.

I gave up reading reviews for anything other than comedy value (and screenshots) a long time ago.