Author Topic: New forum concept  (Read 1366 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Just floating the idea:

Maybe we should have a dedicated 'Getting Started' forum consisting entirely of stickied threads and a couple open question threads.

We're really having some trouble getting people going on FSOpen, since the method consists largely of linking people to sigs. There have been a lot of instances of confused newbs looking for an easy place to get started. Would a bit more cohesion be a good idea, or do you think it's unnecessary given the resources already in place?

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
-C

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Renamed, maybe. I was certainly aware of its existence, but at least to me 'support' speaks of bug-fixing and intimidating pages of very specific answers, rather than a general guide to beginning.

You're right, though, it seems to have most of the actual content necessary for the job.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Maybe it needs to be renamed or moved up?

Freespace : Getting started & Tech Support?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Sounds great! And we could, perhaps, also use a thread to convince the recalcitrant that FSOpen is stable and useful...again, assuming we don't have such a thing already.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I like the idea...I'd also like to see something that is FRED related, like a "only quick questions and answers" topic. I believe that many newcomers just don't want to open thread as they think it's exaggerate/stupid.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/board,124.0.html

Maybe it needs to be renamed or moved up? :p

There's a limit to how many forums you can have before it starts getting excessive, though while we're on the topic, I don't think a releases subforum in the M&C forum would hurt. Then again I don't really browse through the place very much.
-C

Offline Mura

• Shadow lurker
For a "getting started" one it should be on your face so you can see it, so much on your face that it hurts!

Haha, or at least i think so, there are a lot of people that have problems starting on with it because they can't find what they need or don't even know what they need :b
Signed, me