Author Topic: Their Finest Hour  (Read 11469 times)

I actually thought it was quite brilliant how Volition made its (the Collie's) destruction seem very sudden, and un-epic.

The mission, on the whole, probably would have been cooler with more guns blazing, but I thought the mood created by the opposite was more than effective.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Check WMCoolmon's DeviantArt gallery... More funny FreeSpace related MSPaint rubbish. :)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Similarly though there is nothing to indicate it wouldn't follow the Colossus if it did jump out.

But wouldn't that waste even more of the shivans time? And consequently buy the Bastion more of it?

Wouldn't really help though if the Colossus jumped out to the Vega node and the Sathanas followed though would it?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Similarly though there is nothing to indicate it wouldn't follow the Colossus if it did jump out.

But wouldn't that waste even more of the shivans time? And consequently buy the Bastion more of it?

Wouldn't really help though if the Colossus jumped out to the Vega node and the Sathanas followed though would it?

Who said anything about jumping out of the system?
The collie can't do that in 1 jump anyway. first it needs to jump close to the node, wait for re-charge , get in position and jump again.

I was thinking more like leading the Sath on a merry chase trough the system.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
:rolleyes: Credit me with some sense. I know damn well that the Colossus can't jump out of the system to Vega in one jump from near the Gamma Draconis jump node. :rolleyes:

I said that it would do no good if the Colossus jumped TO the Vega node not THROUGH it.

Jumping to the Vega node would be a disaster because that's where the remaining GTVA fleet are trying to evacuate from. Having a Sathanas jump in wouldn't make that any easier.

As for leading them a merry chase around the system. While that might have worked it could also have gone disastrously wrong if the Shivans decided to take advantage of knowing that the Colossus couldn't help if they attacked the Bastion. 
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
It couldn't help the Bastion either way - staying in one place to draw shivans or moving around to draw shivans...moving is better. you live longer and waste their time a bit longer.

Offline Kie99

As for leading them a merry chase around the system. While that might have worked it could also have gone disastrously wrong if the Shivans decided to take advantage of knowing that the Colossus couldn't help if they attacked the Bastion. 

The Colossus couldn't help if they attacked the Bastion either way.  It'd either be annihilated or playing chase with a Sathanas.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
When someone with 24 thousand posts tells you something, you should learn to LISTEN.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Check WMCoolmon's DeviantArt gallery... More funny FreeSpace related MSPaint rubbish. :)
Link?
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
When someone with 24 thousand posts tells you something, you should learn to LISTEN.

To whom is that comment adressed? :wtf:

Unless said person is wrong.  Post count does not directly translate to the ability to form a coherent or correct argument.

Not to say that I necessarily disagree with Karajorma or have a problem with his logic....  Seems like whether the Colossus jumped or not would be pretty irrelevant.  Though I've no evidence to support the claim, I'd be willing to bet that the Sathanas can recharge its jump drives faster than the Colossus, so it really just comes down to whether the Colossus wants to die where it stands or whether it wants to die somewhere else in Capella.  It's also not like they've tied up some huge amount of the shivans' resources, if the Colossus does go running.  There's at least seventy-nine more juggernauts waiting in the wings, supposing the first one doesn't do the trick.

Alamo-style martyrs are better for morale than any other variety of corpse, though.  That said, it would be nice to see the Colossus put up more of a fight in its final hour.  Standing and taking a beating, without firing so much as a shot was a bit weak.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project

:yes:

Unless said person is wrong.  Post count does not directly translate to the ability to form a coherent or correct argument.

:lol:

Not to say that I necessarily disagree with Karajorma or have a problem with his logic....  Seems like whether the Colossus jumped or not would be pretty irrelevant.  Though I've no evidence to support the claim, I'd be willing to bet that the Sathanas can recharge its jump drives faster than the Colossus, so it really just comes down to whether the Colossus wants to die where it stands or whether it wants to die somewhere else in Capella.  It's also not like they've tied up some huge amount of the shivans' resources, if the Colossus does go running.  There's at least seventy-nine more juggernauts waiting in the wings, supposing the first one doesn't do the trick.

How you can claim that the Sathanas can recharge its jump drives faster than the Colossus? Right now I see no evidence.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Link?

You should really try using google one of these days. I mean, if you Google "WMCoolmon's DeviantArt Gallery" it's the only result.

How you can claim that the Sathanas can recharge its jump drives faster than the Colossus? Right now I see no evidence.

There is no plainly stated evidence in FS, but you could conjecture that they recharge faster than the Collie's because of the link between the Shivans and subspace that is expressed in FS at various points. Plus the rate is pretty arbitrary.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 04:05:32 pm by thesizzler »

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Seems like whether the Colossus jumped or not would be pretty irrelevant.

Pretty much, yes. Altough by running it would buy the bastion at least a minute more..that's still better than nothing.

I don't think the diversion argument really holds up, or at the very least, it falls completely flat the minute the Sath appears. The cruisers, corvette, and the Ravanna definately do ease the pressure on both the node defenses and the Bastion but, although never explicitly stated, I think it's safe to say that the Sath that attacks the Collie is the only one of the 80 plus fleet that takes a direct part in the Cappella engagement. All indications are that once the Sath fleet made it to Cappella they just went straight for the star; the fighting was left to the more conventional warships.

I mean even one Sath diverted to each node would end the battle in minutes. Revenge for the Collie's earlier Sath kill might really be acceptable as a reason for them bothering so much about it.
Watch out for the Guns! They'll getcha!

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1

You should really try using google one of these days. I mean, if you Google "WMCoolmon's DeviantArt Gallery" it's the only result.

Actually this thread shows up too.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I mean even one Sath diverted to each node would end the battle in minutes. Revenge for the Collie's earlier Sath kill might really be acceptable as a reason for them bothering so much about it.

Or...
(1) The Shivans were concerned about the Colossus and diverted a Sathanas to deal with it. Though that Sathanas could barely be spared to deal with the Colossus, the Shivans considered it more of a risk that the Colossus would go on the offensive and disrupt the fleet at the sun.

(2) The Shivans wanted to even the odds, but didn't want to cause Command to order a complete withdrawal of forces in the Capella system. By only diverting the Sathanas to destroy the Colossus, the GTVA left its forces in-system, which let the Shivans destroy more of them and caused them to get wiped out by the Supernova at the bitter end.

(3) The Shivans were concerned about the Colossus jumping into the nebula and beyond, but had sufficient forces to deal with the rest of the warships at the GD node if they went guerilla.
-C

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
the only problem I have with (2) is that shivans nuked their own cruisers, corvettes and destroyers...

Offline Snail

• SC 5
But there may not have been a lot there. If they did, we would have seen 30+ Demons at the Vega node. :P

Perhaps the Shivans only sent in what was needed, and they're not stupid so they didn't send in their entire fleet all at once.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
It's quite clearly stated that shivan forces are everywhere in the system. The Saths are holding position around the sun, so it's not them attakcing (altough their fighters are surely involved).

The shivies had a lot of other warship in-system. Warships they could have evacuated 5 minutes before the bang and leave us scratching our heads, wondering why they did that, only for the blast to give us the answer.