Author Topic: Modern side-scroller?  (Read 4023 times)

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Modern side-scroller?
Here's the deal: my dad only plays side-scrollers. I mean like the old Duke Nukem games and such. And since it pains me to see him playing the same games over and over again, I would like to know if any of you fine folks know any modern side-scrollers which I could recommend.

A perfect example would be Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project, which is a 2D game with fairly modern 3D graphics. Mind you, I'm not looking for crazy Japanese fill-the-screen-with-lasers type of games. Just traditional plat formers which have come out with the past, say, 5-7 years.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Modern side-scroller?
there is always Halo Zero
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Google "the apocalyptic game about penguins".

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Google "the apocalyptic game about penguins".

:yes:

oh and i like this one too :D

http://clubby-the-seal.freeonlinegames.com/
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 09:52:47 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

You can try Madness Interactive as a snack between full meals (if you get the analogy)
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I found a nice one of these last week called Hurrican. It's freeware, but better polished than a lot of shareware/commercial games of this type. The graphics and artwork are excellent and the gameplay has a surprising degree of depth to it. It's quite hard though; the levels are very large and I haven't made it past the second one yet.

You also want to look at the Jazz Jackrabbit games. The second game is from 1998 and has some pretty decent graphics. It also has a lot of multiplayer options and there was a pretty large active community at one point.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 10:58:34 pm by CP5670 »

You also want to look at the Jazz Jackrabbit games. The second game is from 1998 and has some pretty decent graphics. It also has a lot of multiplayer options and there was a pretty large active community at one point.

Good times.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
anyone remember the lost vikings? that game was cool, cept it revolved more around solving puzzles than shooting things, i think it was for the snes, but im not sure.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

That game is awesome, especially the 70's style Alice in Wonderland levels.  I still remember the theme music (humming it right now, yay).  Not many people remember it of course, but the Jazz Jackrabbit games were created by Epic, who are of course much better known for the Unreal Engine/games these days.

I think that was the second game I bought as a kid (Descent was the first).
Everything is better with monkeys.  Even pie.

That is the best first post I have ever seen.

There's only one true side scroller, the best of all time

All Hail SUPER MARIO LAND on S-NES!
And this ain't no ****. But don't quote me for that one. - Mika

I shall rrreach worrrld domination!

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Abuse
Assault Suits Valken

Both of them are more tactical than trigger fests.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Roanoke

anyone remember the lost vikings? that game was cool, cept it revolved more around solving puzzles than shooting things, i think it was for the snes, but im not sure.

King Arthur's World > Lost Vikings

(bloody hard though).

If you can call it modern I recall Super Probotector/Contra was remade on PS2. Either that or it was a thinly disguised rip-off.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i remember contra. damn that was a classic.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

I'm shocked nobody has mentioned Flashback: Quest for Identity and Blackthorne yet.

Okay, NOT modern, but bloody hell, thei're BEST

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
there was a sequal to flashback?

Nuke's Scripting SVN

If you mean Blackthorne, no. It was developed from Blizzard (heavens forbid) and using the Flashback engine AFAIK.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Blackthorne was sooo badass. Prince of Persia with a pump-action shotty and hovering explosives, what more could you want?