Author Topic: New Starfury in The Lost Tales?  (Read 12716 times)

Offline emi_100

• www.artstation.com/emimartinez
Re: New Starfury in The Lost Tales?
 Great work! amazing!!!  :yes:
i know it's a lot to ask.... but could you make a High Poly Version of the Thunderbolt??? (with red skin instead green)
DEDICATED TO ALL THE
PEOPLE WHO PREDICTED
THAT THE BABYLON
PROJECT WOULD FAIL IN
IT'S MISSION.

-------FAITH MANAGES------
  • Normal Maps for -The Babylon Project-
  • "Battle at ..." (Campaign) You can't choose when, but you will choose where... and you will fight! GO NOW!
  • "One Mistake" (Third Space Campaign)
  • "Each Night I Dream of Home" (Crusade Single Mision)

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
Yeah thats a problem with the MOI, causes the model to spin wildly, when destroyed..
A slight ajustment should fix that.  :D

Yep, made changes to the MOI and now it spins slowly.

Ah, yes.. Now thats better..  :p

Simpicity of character is the natural resualt of profound thought

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
No easf1024 maps  :D
Looks kind of weird in game with the normal auora maps applied.  :ick:

But on the other hand, I can see it.  :lol:

my bad, I forgot those maps
here they are

When I tried it with the new maps, I noticed it seemed to spin out of control slightly more... any way to fix that?  :wtf: (It seems just a tad too much) [edit: ok, editing the density helps.... somewhat.. I always have too much or too little.   :sigh: )

also, to get it to fire like they had it shooting in the lost tales, select the first weapon, then select both... if you time it right, both 40mm pulses will shoot at the similar rate like the lost tales version :)
There's a way in the tables now to create firing sequences or at the very least unlock the primaries so they rapidly cycle.  Might be worth a look.  I don't remember what it is.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Yathin

• Order vs. Chaos. Choose one!
No easf1024 maps  :D
Looks kind of weird in game with the normal auora maps applied.  :ick:

But on the other hand, I can see it.  :lol:

my bad, I forgot those maps
here they are

When I tried it with the new maps, I noticed it seemed to spin out of control slightly more... any way to fix that?  :wtf: (It seems just a tad too much) [edit: ok, editing the density helps.... somewhat.. I always have too much or too little.   :sigh: )

also, to get it to fire like they had it shooting in the lost tales, select the first weapon, then select both... if you time it right, both 40mm pulses will shoot at the similar rate like the lost tales version :)
There's a way in the tables now to create firing sequences or at the very least unlock the primaries so they rapidly cycle.  Might be worth a look.  I don't remember what it is.

using the "cycle" tag works (in weapons.tbl)... but it goes left then right, not top to bottom :(.. is there a way to fix that?  :doubt:

My idea would be switching the guns around, and keeping it always selected for both weapons, but I don't know how to do that :p)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 07:35:22 am by Yathin »
"The main motive for going beyond the rim...there's a heck of a big Taco Bell out there...." - JMS

"In the BETA, mounting the reverse side of the ladder pretty much resulted in you getting a knife in the ass or worse." - Dylan Jobe

WIP : First Strike

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
If its a quad mount it looks roughly like that...more of a cycle between all four but its so rapid it looks very similar.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

I've seen the question of the "new" Starfury in another forum an I remebered some stuff I read a few years back, so I did some digging.  According to some articles that cite canon sources, the Aurora has ALWAYS had 4 40mm Pulse Cannons (if you look at the picture of the Aurora in the first post that is taken from the series, those blips in the upper wing roots look like guns because they are guns).  Apparently, limitations in the fusion reactor prevent all four from being used at once.  Apparently this limitation was solved, probably around the same time the Thunderbolt's main weapon was perfected (note: that remark linking the Tbolts weapons to the Aurora's weapons is my own conjecture and is not cited in canon sources).

Offline nvsblmnc

• I'm a minefield of information.
I noticed this as well.  Look at any decent shot of Auroras leaving B5's cobra bays and you'll see that there's a second set of guns either side of the cockpit.

I can't be sure if they were ever seen when the ships were in flight, though - perhaps they were rendered at different stages in the model's development?
When the reactor explodes, it's usually a sign that you've taken too much damage.

Offline Yathin

• Order vs. Chaos. Choose one!
If its a quad mount it looks roughly like that...more of a cycle between all four but its so rapid it looks very similar.

I tried making it a quad mount in PCSII. Looks great!

Below is the modified TLT Aurora with the changed gun mount and MOI. It also includes a 38mm pulse cannon (faster and slightly less powerful than the 40mm). The .zip furthermore includes the ship table with Glide and the ability to use the 38mm pulse.
Note: This includes the maps.

Everything in one .zip folder:
http://files.filefront.com/auroramkIIzip/;9515517;/fileinfo.html

I would like to thank IceFire (Quad Mount), Whitelight (help with the MOI), and 0rpheus (The maps and the pof)!  :D

How to use the Aurora Mk II in a new mission:

Place the .pof and .dds files in the cache directory.
Modify the additional ships table and place in the newer table next to your other ones
Add the new weapon to the weapons.tbl.
"The main motive for going beyond the rim...there's a heck of a big Taco Bell out there...." - JMS

"In the BETA, mounting the reverse side of the ladder pretty much resulted in you getting a knife in the ass or worse." - Dylan Jobe

WIP : First Strike

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
I've seen the question of the "new" Starfury in another forum an I remebered some stuff I read a few years back, so I did some digging.  According to some articles that cite canon sources, the Aurora has ALWAYS had 4 40mm Pulse Cannons (if you look at the picture of the Aurora in the first post that is taken from the series, those blips in the upper wing roots look like guns because they are guns).  Apparently, limitations in the fusion reactor prevent all four from being used at once.
Ya that has been discussed before. IIRC the general opinion was that the Aurora has two cannons. The other two holes are just that, holes. And can really be anything, like mounts for special equipment or whatever. In the end it comes down to how it's seen in the show. And it has always been seen firing two cannons. Adding another two would really chance anything.
And why would you wish to carry weapons you can't use? They only add weight and reduce maneuverability. You really wish to be a light as possible in a dogfight.
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...