Author Topic: Windows keeps trying to destroy itself  (Read 1700 times)

Offline Aardwolf

Windows keeps trying to destroy itself
I hate automatic updates that force me to restart.

I click the restart later button, and what does it do? Ten minutes later or so, the same dialog comes up.

Did you ever realize that maybe I don't want to update, that you are not as important as whatever I happen to be doing right now?

Furthermore, sometimes when a Windows session ends, my computer decides to destroy the bootloader, forcing me to reinstall from my Kubuntu installation CD.

I HATE IT SO MUCH!

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: Windows keeps trying to destroy itself
Turn off the updates and download them manually. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Just cover it in bacon, that should teach it
Fat people are harder to kidnap :ha:

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Furthermore, sometimes when a Windows session ends, my computer decides to destroy the bootloader, forcing me to reinstall from my Kubuntu installation CD.
This points to some weird Windoze thing, or HDD problems.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
I had a friend of mine at university whose laptop has XP on it and its bootloader (NTLDR) kept committing suicide, temporarily.  She shut it off for a few hours, powered it back on, and it worked just fine.  I have no idea what's causing it.
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I had a friend of mine at university whose laptop has XP on it and its bootloader (NTLDR) kept committing suicide, temporarily.  She shut it off for a few hours, powered it back on, and it worked just fine.  I have no idea what's causing it.
That could be from a virus, worms, problem with main XP files or .exes, or something else I don't know about.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
That could be from a virus, worms, problem with main XP files or .exes, or something else I don't know about.
QFT.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
could be thermal problems (in main CPU, main RAM, or the drive cache), or read heads that like to take a nap after operating for a while, bad power management on the drive, etc
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
or it could be that microsoft are total dicks and do things so that people dont want to have a linux dualboot. i get maybe 2 viruses a year (and with bi-annual re-installs, the problem seldom builds up to severe chaos), and never has one done any damage. usually my scanner catches it before it catches me.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking

She scanned with her AV program, and the system read as clean.  Granted, she did use McAfee...

could be thermal problems (in main CPU, main RAM, or the drive cache), or read heads that like to take a nap after operating for a while, bad power management on the drive, etc

We know for sure it's not a thermal problem.  In both instances, the system had been powered off for several hours and was cold on boot.  (Personally, I think it's a hardware defect in the HD controller board.)
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...