Author Topic: Engine top speed - bug or intended  (Read 2463 times)

Engine top speed - bug or intended
First things first.  Kudo's to the team that made this wonderful mod.  Playing wing commander has brought back some great memories, and now I need to get a joystick. Playing with a mouse sucks. You guys have left me begging for more missions, and I guess I will have to learn FRED in order to make my own.

My question is this:  Does adding engine energy make the ship go any faster?  Or is it a bug that does not allow the ship speed up with all power diverted to the engines? In the intro saga mission, I pumped all the energy into the engines, and the ship only went at 81 (the same speed setting with all energy normalized).  It would slow down for if I diverted energy to weapons or shields, but adding energy to the engines didn't seem to make it go faster.  It's especially annoying using a longbow and the AI fighters will lead you a long way away from the rest of your wingman.
I didn't want to waste afterburner all the time just to catch up or move quicker into the carrier.

I love the new autopilot.  I actually never played WC4, so now I am left in the dark for the rest of the game.

Here is a screenshot of what I am talking about.  Hopefully it's not too dark.  I have to really boost my brightness levels in the game to see it on my normal brightness setttings.

[img=http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/6896/wcspeednd9.th.jpg]
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 09:40:33 pm by greenslam »

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
Re: Engine top speed - bug or intended
In fact, that is intentional.  In Wing Commander, you couldn't increase your maximum speed above normal.  The Saga team wants their game to be true to the original. :)
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline Aginor

• Spelljammer
Re: Engine top speed - bug or intended
IIRC in Wing Commander setting the engine power to a higher level only had an effect to acceleration, but not to top speed.

[techno-babble]
Due to the construction of ion drives there is a certain limitation of top speed which is directly linked to the type of engine.
The (insert some strange sounding name of a technical device here, something like "warp-bubble" if you want) can't move faster in the space-time continuum than the (insert some other strange sounding name of a random physical phenomenon here), except there is (insert something else here, if you want to break this rule)
[/techno-babble]

That's it!  ;-)
Member of the Scooby Doo model Fanclub "verticies and splines are the medium and he is the artist."