Author Topic: RELEASE: GVF Anouke - - - - (was "My first real Model (WIP)")  (Read 11012 times)

Re: RELEASE: GVF Anouke - - - - (was "My first real Model (WIP)")
Let me know if anyone finds any errors. I tested it out and it seems to work, but I know that sometimes things go screwy on other people's computers for no real reason . . .

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
This isn't an error as much as an aesthetic criticism, but here we go: The cockpit ruins the shape of the fighter and the flow, it looks like what a manta-ray would look like if it had a rock glued to the head of the poor animal. I, (and several others on IRC) find that you might want to try using a Thoth-like cockpit instead.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 06:38:15 am by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I agree, a Thoth shaped canopy would make it look more like a successor than a completely different class of fighter on its own.

No offense, but your comments are a little late. Some other modders like the FoG team might have the luxury or need to completely re-do models twice over but I have no such desire. But don't worry, if you'd given your comments in the WIP stage I probably wouldn't have followed up on them then either. I'm pretty stubborn.

Combining a vertical cockpit with a sleek form was a major design element that I wanted to do from the get-go. Some people think it works, some people think it doesn't. There's no right or wrong opinion.

I think my original idea was to combine elements of the standing pilot ships (ie the Bakha, Sekhmet, Ptah) with elements of the sleek designs (Tauret, Serapis, etcetera) to make something new and unique. I believe I also intended the entire cockpit module to be ejectable (in theory, not in practise), which helps to explain the design. Though, actually come to think of it . . . yhe fighter is in fact based on a drawing of a fighter that was never intended to be Vasudan, or anything Freespace for that matter, I simply adapted it somewhat. So if it doesn't quite fit that could be why.

But thanks for the comments. People are often reluctant to say anything more than "looks great" so such comments are appreciated even if they fall a bit on deaf ears. :D I see what you're saying btw, I just took a different route.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
An ejectable cockpit could probably be done via debris. Some ships in the mvps already have it.

An ejectable cockpit could probably be done via debris. Some ships in the mvps already have it.

Well in the Debris I already largely have teh cockpit surving the destruction intact though there's a big chunk missing out of the back.
What I meant though was that pilots in Freespace don't eject, they just die for the most part. So the fluff idea of an ejectable cockpit is kind of moot in that point.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Probably because it's better to die in a giant fireball than it is to die from decompression or just drifting through space until you die of dehydration, starvation, whatever.

Probably because it's better to die in a giant fireball than it is to die from decompression or just drifting through space until you die of dehydration, starvation, whatever.

Uh.
I'll choose the "live" option myself.

Offline Darius

Debug pops up with warnings about textures not being found that the pof is referencing (fighter02-01a or some such), null MOI for pof, and the subsystems have _special_subsystem as opposed to $special=subsystem in the properties box in PCS2. Also warnings about "engine" subsystem on pof being "engines" in table, and "communication" in pof being "communications" in the table.

Other than that, it looks and plays like a charm :) Nice ship!

Debug pops up with warnings about textures not being found that the pof is referencing (fighter02-01a or some such), null MOI for pof, and the subsystems have _special_subsystem as opposed to $special=subsystem in the properties box in PCS2. Also warnings about "engine" subsystem on pof being "engines" in table, and "communication" in pof being "communications" in the table.

Other than that, it looks and plays like a charm :) Nice ship!

oh yeah that's what I forgot. When I opened up PCS2 it has like . .  . freaking 20 textures referenced. I don't know why. It only needs the OutUV one . . which in hindsight I really should have renamed to something else. Oh well. One thing I forgot . ..