Author Topic: A proposal: Shivan Bombs  (Read 29503 times)

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
A proposal: Shivan Bombs
Anyone ever notice in the main campaign how Shivans fire Cyclopses and Helioses?  That really annoys me.  Especially the fact that it says "Cyclops" or "Helios" in the target box.  So I have a proposal to fix this problem.  Essentially you would have duplicate entries (to preserve mission balance) of the Cyclops and Helios, but called "Shivan Bomb" and "Shivan Megabomb" (or something like that).  All of the missions with Shivan bombers would have to be changed too.  They would use the same models, unless someone wanted to model some Shivan bombs roughly the size of the cyclops and Helios.  What do you guys think?

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Re: A proposal: Shivan Bombs
Strange. For me IIRC it was always "Unknown megabomb" or something like that.

Offline blowfish

In Freespace 1 it does, but in Freespace 2 it doesn't.

Offline blackhole

• Still not over the rainbow
  • Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
I think you need to take a long, hard look at this mod, because its already done that. For that matter, that kind of a modification is incredibly trivial - I did it by modifying about 5 values in the weapons table. You don't NEED duplicate entries because its just an aesthetic change.

Offline blowfish

I've seen that.  I'm talking about changing things in the main campaign and packaging them with MediaVPs (they already come with modified mission files).

Offline blackhole

• Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
Why fix something like that when Maras are firing hornets at you? Shouldn't you fix that first? :P

Offline blowfish

With hornets, you will barely notice that they are hornets unless you know because 1) They are so small 2) You can't target them.  Its much more of a problem with bombs.

Offline blackhole

• Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
Actually, the problem with the hornets started bugging me before I even finished the campaign for the first time. It is glaringly obvious that those things are hornets, even if you can't target them.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Ever since I made the high-detail bomb models this has been more evident. I always planned to get around to making shivan alt-models, but then I dissaperaed....
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Mura

• Shadow lurker
but now you are visible again!! XD

Yeah, hornets being used by shivans is annoying... maybe if they had a different trail color for shivans like... lets say... RED, i would be lot happier with it  :D
Because come on... what are the odds that an ancient race would have the same idea of having the same kind of missiles with EXACTLY the same characteristics???  :ick:  I think is easier to be eaten by a shark in a bath tub in a shopping mall  ;7
Signed, me

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Because come on... what are the odds that an ancient race would have the same idea of having the same kind of missiles with EXACTLY the same characteristics???  :ick:  I think is easier to be eaten by a shark in a bath tub in a shopping mall  ;7

Maybe they thought, "Those look cool. Let's try them out."

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Shivan's really should have their own secondaries (and I don't mean exactly the same damage values, I think they really should be different). After all they have their own primaries suited for their tactics and strategies, why not do the same for secondaries?
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Shivan's really should have their own secondaries (and I don't mean exactly the same damage values, I think they really should be different). After all they have their own primaries suited for their tactics and strategies, why not do the same for secondaries?
Er... the worst weapons in the game are suited for their tactics?
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Ryan

Why are shivan guns so bad?

Why are shivan guns so bad?
Just look at their stats. If we used their weapons, we would be pawned over and over again. In fact, the only thing that saves us from destruction is the superior firepower of our fighters.
As for the reason they're bad... I guess they don't need better weapons, since they roll us over anyway.

I'm not sure how to fit the Kayser in though...

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The Kayser was reverse engineered from the Shivan Super Laser. Terrans suck.

Offline ION3

I'd say shivans just have better capships and terrans have better fighters.

Offline Kosh

Yeah, since they depend on sheer numbers and simple brute force to get the job done.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Only in FS2. In FS1 multiple times the Shivans did strategic maneuvers. Like instead of engaging the GTA and PVN at the Antares-Deneb node, they circumvented it by using an unidentified node.

Offline Kosh

Only in FS2. In FS1 multiple times the Shivans did strategic maneuvers. Like instead of engaging the GTA and PVN at the Antares-Deneb node, they circumvented it by using an unidentified node.

Strategic manuevering =! tactics. Yes they could manuever very nicely, but when it came to the actual engagements they still depended on overwhelming force to win.

Brain I/O error