Author Topic: Launch FreeSpace Games From Browser  (Read 2369 times)

Offline feltoar

• Economical Gamer
Launch FreeSpace Games From Browser
Ive been considering my first contribution to the FSO community. Since I dont really have the time to learn FRED or do anything outside my confort zone Ive been considering how I could apply my web skills instead.

I was thinking of some how getting the active game information from Game Warden and putting it into simple XML format and then providing basic PHP scripts to read said XML file. So basically official home sites for TCs and in general any site interested can list current multiplayer matches.

Then I was hoping to go one step further using some sort of application to automatically do what you can do manually here (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Register_protocol) which is make it that the game will launch when a url like fso://123.456.789:7001 is clicked.

What do you guys think?

Offline Caligma

Re: Launch FreeSpace Games From Browser
Sounds good to me. :) A mini-example would probably get more on board with it.

Offline feltoar

• Economical Gamer
Taylor said he was working on something that would help this out, might wait until then.

Offline Clawandfang

• Resident writer
Hmm, you might want to continue doing peliminary work, otherwise others (and possibly yourself) will quickly lose interest.
No one lives in the slums because they want to. It's like this train. It can't go anywhere except where its rails take it.

If you're interested in the classic film, "The Land Before Time", then come visit a land before time forum.

Offline feltoar

• Economical Gamer
Hmm, you might want to continue doing peliminary work, otherwise others (and possibly yourself) will quickly lose interest.
I did some big reading around the forum when I joined and I realise there is a sort of 'have something to show before opening your mouth' sort of vibe. Although I figured a lot of you would see its such a small effort it wouldnt take very long.

Offline feltoar

• Economical Gamer
I need some help. What is the command line to have the game automatically connect to a game on startup?

EDIT. Dammit hit a snag. I dont know how to pass the IP address alone, when launching it wants to pass everything in the address bar and Im guessing FSO doesnt know how to handle IPs which are formatted "fso://123.456.789" instead of simply "123.456.789".

Not sure how to proceed. Looks like a change needs to happen to the executable :(
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 07:55:08 am by feltoar »