Author Topic: More than 4 turrets firing?  (Read 8435 times)

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Re: More than 4 turrets firing?
No idea.. But that is hard coded setting and unless it is modified in the sourcecode (like made an option to the ai_profiles.tbl) then you may just need to bump the difficulty level to get the turrets firing they way you like.

Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to add to ai_profiles.tbl ... if only the XCode project file was up do date so I could compile and test things :mad:

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
Wow, good find, Wanderer.  I figured it'd be a bit more obscure.
What's the problem if two ships kill eachother faster on harder difficulties than easier?
I can think of a few situations where someone wanted the battle to last a certain length or to proceed a certain way.  That's kind of what "same turret cooldown" is for.  Still, there should be the option.

I'm going to take a stab at this.  What do you guys think it should be named?

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • FLAMES OF WAR
max_turret_ownage_target
&
max_turret_ownage_player
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Seconded.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
 :lol:
-C

Offline Backslash

Wow that WAS easy.  If only more features were like this.

I have now committed the change and edited the wiki.

Offline Droid803

:eek:
Its done? YAY!
Thank you!
(´・ω・`)

So how does this work?  Does a person have to re-download the 3.6.9 or whatever to use this? Or . . . just make some file with the directions in it???

Offline blowfish

You would need a new build to get this to work.  By new I mean today or after.  You could try to download the source  from SVN and compile it yourself, or wait for someone else to release a new build.

You would need a new build to get this to work.  By new I mean today or after.  You could try to download the source  from SVN and compile it yourself, or wait for someone else to release a new build.

Okay, that's what I figured. Don't need it _today_ anyway . . . but I'll download it sometime in the future :)

Offline Aardwolf

Will changing this affect Bearbaiting in the main FS2 campaign?

I've noticed on very easy it doesn't fire all 3 at once, the fourth is delayed slightly.

Offline blowfish

Will changing this affect Bearbaiting in the main FS2 campaign?

I've noticed on very easy it doesn't fire all 3 at once, the fourth is delayed slightly.

This would cause it to fire all four at once, like it does on easy and all other difficulties.  Doesn't really matter though, 2 BFReds is more than enough to rape a Hecate in one shot.

Offline Droid803

Actually, you can leave it default, you can just change it to however you like.
So, there's basically no downside to this feature. YAY!
(´・ω・`)

Offline nvsblmnc

• I'm a minefield of information.
Will this change be inlcuded in future XT builds?

(They're the only ones that give me anything resembling a framerate)
When the reactor explodes, it's usually a sign that you've taken too much damage.

Offline Backslash

You're welcome. :) Big thanks to Wanderer for finding that code so fast.  I'm still surprised how easy that turned out to be.

I still think the original problem mentioned needs looking at -- even if it is set in the table that a ship can only fire 4 turrets at once, it should be smart enough to realize "oh, those blob turrets are out of range, let's fire something else".  Or maybe a customizable priority could be added, in which we could specify "beams before everything".  I'm taking a look, but I'm fairly certain it won't be nearly as easy a fix.

Offline blowfish

You're welcome. :) Big thanks to Wanderer for finding that code so fast.  I'm still surprised how easy that turned out to be.

I still think the original problem mentioned needs looking at -- even if it is set in the table that a ship can only fire 4 turrets at once, it should be smart enough to realize "oh, those blob turrets are out of range, let's fire something else".  Or maybe a customizable priority could be added, in which we could specify "beams before everything".  I'm taking a look, but I'm fairly certain it won't be nearly as easy a fix.

Probably you would want huge weapons to fire first too.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
I thought I saw this feature before in an obsolete version under a very different name a long time ago (Max turrets that can target the player based on difficulty level or something)... but I kept thinking I was just dreaming when I couldn't find it in the wiki.

Oh well, guess it's back with an added feature...

What time was this committed anyway? I just updated my repository a few minutes ago... (oh wait. I think I got it already. :lol:)

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Decided to dig the code a tad deeper...

If you are interested in checking other stuff for ai_profiles.tbl... Granted i just searched the code for 'game_skill_level' with win grep and dropped all those already included in the ai profiles. So the stuff i found could be unused or commented away...  The seemingly heavy use of the 'game_skill_level' in ai code might explain why it some times seems like tweaking ai table is useless. Same goes for the series of settings related to easiest difficulty - though clever fredding allows for avoiding the most of the potential pitfalls. If i'm not totally wrong the more interesting bits are the ai stealth detection scaling options as well as the options for ship to ship collision damage and asteroid strength.

Also interesting thing is the usage of 'aip->ai_class' in the code. Apparently - remember i could well be wrong, even though the comments in the code seem to agree with my judgment - it is the index value of the ai class. And it is used also in certain ai checks. Basically this means that for example (BtRL) Cylon AI set to 1st AI slot in the ai.tbl will have different behavior from the identical Cylon AI set to next to last slot (remembering traitor slot) - which certainly does not make AI tweaking any easier.

Both greps IMHO have some value for coders so i thought it might be best to post them here.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline blowfish

That ai_class thing was an *odd* choice by :v:

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Just curious, where was the max turret fix commited?  CVS/SVN?  Stable/Unstable/HEAD/3.6.9?  I imagine that if it's in unstable SVN we won't see a build with it for a little while, but I doubt it's in stable since it sounds like it wasn't even ever compiled.  And, Taylor just released a Mac source dump with a working XCode file over on the SCP forum, if the interested parties hadn't noticed yet.  I'd link but...well, I'll let you find out why I won't bother linking to anything for another day or so.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays