Author Topic: Problem running fs2open on Linux  (Read 1509 times)

Problem running fs2open on Linux
I have installed all the dependencies, and the fs2_open program on windows, and I loved it.  I've decided to try installing it on my linux machines as well.  The program installs fine on Ubuntu 7.10, Fedora Core 8 and Open Suse 10.3.  The problem that I have is when I play the game.  I have changed the settings so that it runs at 1024X768 @ 32 bits.  I am forced to play at the lowest graphics settings because of graphics glitches, but I am prepared to live with that.

my problem is with the mouse support.  I play FS2 with the mouse, Left button=fire, right button=fire missile, middle button=target enemy in center of reticle, but on every Linux distribution, left button is fire, right button is fire primary and missiles, and middle button is fire missiles.  Every time I try to re-bind the controls, the right button is detected as a left click, and the left click is detected as a left click, and the middle button is detected as a right click.  I have this problem on all distributions of Linux that I have tried.

I have the trackpoint and the nubbin disabled, so that cannot be the problem, as only the USB Mouse is being detected for input.

Is anyone else having this problem?

FSO Build -3.6.9
Mods-None
Command Line- fs2_open
Error Message-None

System Specs:
IBM laptop R40:
CPU-Centrino M 1500
RAM-768 MB
Video Card-ATI Radeon Mobility 7500 32MB (I'm assuming this is my problem with the graphics glitches)
30GB Hard Drive-3 Partitions: Triple Boot
Sound-Built In (Works)
USB Mouse

I love the game, and I want to be able to play it on my Linux machines.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 04:07:31 pm by raidercom »

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Re: Problem running fs2open on Linux
xmodmap may be the answer to your mouse problems. I cannot give any specific instructions though, as it depends on your configuration and gear. Look it up in the net.

Thanks for your help.

I think I'm gonna give it up, I tried for a while to get it to work, but no luck.

Thank you for your help.

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
This is what I use to get the buttons right. Not gonna help much probably, but hey..
xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 8 3 4 5 6 7 2 9 10"