Author Topic: Trade and such  (Read 2157 times)

Offline jcdick1

I am currently playing through Freespace 2 Open, and I can see the end coming near.  I was wondering, though, if there were any mods or such that provide a gameplay similar to  X2 or the like, or a sort of Eve Online kind of feel.

Just curious.

Thanks!

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
:welcomesilver:

I can't say I've played many campaigns, but I'm pretty sure something on that level would require a TC, and I don't see any that fits the description. FS is a space sim. Meaning, you got shoot stuff. Not much commerce.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

if you want a free space sim/commerce sime try vega strike
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
the wing commander privateer and wc privateer gemini gold (closer to original) are good mods if you like wc

Offline jcdick1

the wing commander privateer and wc privateer gemini gold (closer to original) are good mods if you like wc

I will try those.  Thanks for the info!

Does anyone think something like economy and trade could be implemented via scripting or such, or would that require significant code changes within the engine itself?  Again, just curious.  I've been developing an urge to apply my "day job" scripting skills to something a little more leisure-oriented (read: fun) than what I do for a paycheck.  But I am by no means a coder.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 10:39:48 pm by jcdick1 »

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
There was talk awhile ago about such a thing, but from the sound of it would be a massive coding nightmare (but possible, a crude small private test run was mentioned).

The end result would probably not be very satisfactory cause the FS2 engine is oriented towards the space shooter genre. A new engine with a trade section in mind would be required for any meaningful additional gameplay.

"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Freespace itself is the exact opposite of what you want. If you want it to be a commerce thing, you'd have to get all the ships and such to another game.
Oh, and welcome to hard-light.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
its possible, and not as big a nightmare as you might think. in the context of a campaign i thought about a basic trade system. it would actually be more like privateer 2 (never played 1) than elite or freelancer. it would be like you get paid for missions and extra for any bonus objectives completed in a mission. then as the campaign progresses you have the opportunity to buy missiles guns and ships as the campaign progresses. it would require both script and sexps but i don't see why it wouldn't work (save possibly lazyness).

freespace was designed as a space shooter game, but i like to think that it has progressed far enough to pass as an engine now that it has alot of scriptable functionality. its not my fault people hid under a rock and pretend that stuff doesn't exist. but don't go shooting down ideas just because YOU have no idea how to pull them off. this really annoys me.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 12:46:26 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Erm.. (Who was that directed to Nuke?)  :D

Anyway the smart thing to do is track down the coder who actually pursued this and tried to implement some sort of Trade system into the engine...

Was it GOOBER?
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i wasnt directing the latter paragraph to anyone in particular. its just something i notice from alot of the younger members. the ones who are still tweaking tables and havent really modded anything complex. i don't like them ney saying the older more experienced modders.

the first paragraph was more or less directed at you, so i can see why it woulda been confusing. but its amazing how many coding nightmares actually work. *looks at the vanilla engine* :D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 05:20:40 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Topgun

someone should make a freespace tc for that. that would be cool.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
the engine is starting to break new ground when dealing with dynamically scripted missions. you could set up a series of missions as backgrounds only, a few for each system on the node map. when you go to a jump node the mission that node links to would be the other side. also you could intra system jump to different parts of the system youre in, loading the proper level each time. local traffic could be automatically script inserted into each mission. such a system would limit the complexity of missions, since you cant sexp them (because everything is placed in the level at runtime). you can however have regular sexped missions that you can get to at different points in the campaign. things like economy, reputation, ect could be handled entirely in script. youre actual progress could be stored in script generated files.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

someone should make a freespace tc for that. that would be cool.

i don't know how well that would work, as vega strike does not have in system jump drives, and fs2 is really military oriented
it would be okay, but i don't know about great (who wants to fly a poseidon)
also, ive heard modding vega Strike is not easy, so someone pretty talented would probably have to do it